Plumbing Problems...

Thai Chi

On the odd occasion our mains water supply has a bad day, and either stops or just trickles out of the taps :o

To combat this problem, I purchased 2 X 1500 Ltr Eco water tanks and a small mitsubishi pump with the intention of connecting it to the house "mains supply"

The water line into our house is in an inconvenient place to put the tanks and pump (garden beds and lawn) but behind the house, and close to the the laundry, where there is already some exposed pvc pipeing (for the washing machine) would be ideal.

So does it really matter where the connection into the exsting supply is made? Should it be on the "line in" or does it really matter where? Obviously I would close the mains connection when using the tank water.

Whats the plumbing fraternity thoughts on this please :D

Are you putting the tanks at low level, filling by mains pressure and use the pump to pump from the tanks?

If so, the connection into the tank can be anywhere. Remember to put a valve on this connection as you will need to close this valve as well as the main valve or the water will cycle. ie you will pump water into the system and it will go back into the tank when other outlets are closed, so the pump will be running continuously.

Are you putting the tanks at low level, filling by mains pressure and use the pump to pump from the tanks?

If so, the connection into the tank can be anywhere. Remember to put a valve on this connection as you will need to close this valve as well as the main valve or the water will cycle. ie you will pump water into the system and it will go back into the tank when other outlets are closed, so the pump will be running continuously.

The 2 tanks will be at ground level. To keep it all simple (and avoid having a hundred meters of blue pvc pipeing running everywhere) I will fill the tanks with a garden hose and run off from the roof guttering.

The most convienient place to hook into the house system is at an exposed pvc pipe in the laundry. This pipe is connected to the rest of the mains system.

Will it be ok to hook the tanks up here?

Yes, that should be ok, but remember to put a valve in the connection. Without a valve, if the mains pressure is high enough, it could run back through the pump, fill the tanks and overflow, wasting water. In fact you may be able to fill the tanks this way instead of hooking up the garden hose.

If you are filling from rainwater run off you will need some sort of filter to stop leaves and debris entering the tank. Even if it's just a piece of gauze. Also take steps to prevent it becoming a mozzie breeding place, if The water is likely to stand for some time.

Many thanks loong :o

I understand about the valve set-up and intend to put one on the connection into the house. I will also put an on / off tap either side of the pump.

Point taken about the mesh if using water from the guttering.

Looks like I will be busy this week-end :D

Looks like I will be busy this week-end :D

Hi Thai Chi

Another option would be to use pump to pump mains water into RAISED water tank(s).Use ball valves to stop water/pump when tanks full and as tanks RAISED they would give 'a good head of water(plumbing term) to give pressure into house

Sorry I dont mean to complicate/confuse matters, just make sure you have thought of all options. You will see many houses around with raised tanks.

I would pop round and lend a hand but I'm not back home (Surin) for another month

Regards

Dave :o (One more month of plumbing/heating in the UK)

Hi Dave

Raised tanks was an option 6 months ago, but I decided to build a shed on that area of the backyard :D

So I now have a very limited area to work in. Our land is quite small (90 sq wah) and the house is built to the back of the property. I am very proud of our uncluttered front garden, and do not want to spoil it by putting the tanks there.

I'll report back when all is done (and working) :o

Watch that blue pvc piping.

It tends to rot when exposed to sun light.

Good point astral, and very true.

I have noticed that some of the bigger hardware shops (homemart) offer 2 grades of pvc pipes and fittings. I can't remember the numbers stenciled on the items, but the cost is nearly double for the better (?) stuff :o

Better to cough up the extra in the first place I reckon :D

Watch that blue pvc piping.

It tends to rot when exposed to sun light.

This can be overcome by painting the PVC with any acrylic paint.

Does it have to be blue :o:D:D:D:D

Sorry only joking ! GOOD TIP, THANKS

:bah:

Actually, this is a good point. If it were me, I'd paint it any colour except yellow, which is the colour of electrical conduit.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the job is all done, and working better than expected. Many thanks for all the tips and advice :o

post-11518-1174615783_thumb.jpg Looks like a ships boiler room, but works :D

post-11518-1174615848_thumb.jpg Pvc will be color matched to house.

post-11518-1174615865_thumb.jpg Quite and very efficient.

This set up gives us better then mains pressure at the flick of a couple of on / off taps to ALL tap outlets both in and outside the house.