Hospital with a nephrologist available

Fat Prophet

A friend of mine is coming to Thailand for 4 days next week. He is a Kidney transplant recipient (about 10 years ago) and a diabetic. He has no problems at the present, but would like to have a check-up while he is here, and establish a relationship with a qualified physician. In the past he has used Bamrungrad Hospital in Bangkok for check-ups, but is becoming tired of their "profit is our business" mentality/attitude and is looking for a more affordable option for routine check-ups. He is not poor, but not rich either. I told him that I had read on this forum that the naval hospital in Sattahip is quite good and much more affordable that the private hospitals like Bumrungrad. I have checked and they do accept non-naval foreign patients. Am I likely to be able to arrange for an appointment with a nephrologist at the naval hospital? If not, are there other "affordable" (or better) options, preferably in the Pattaya/Sriratcha area? Thanks for any advice/suggestions. FP  

How about checking out one of the Samitivej Hospitals, Bumrungrad is for tourists.

Samitivej is where a lot of Thais go for their private hospital needs based on what I know.

It's going to be much cheaper than Bumrungrad and still good quality and they've got a few locations in Bangkok including one a mile or so off of Sukhumvit road.

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

How about checking out one of the Samitivej Hospitals, Bumrungrad is for tourists.

Samitivej is where a lot of Thais go for their private hospital needs based on what I know.

It's going to be much cheaper than Bumrungrad and still good quality and they've got a few locations in Bangkok including one a mile or so off of Sukhumvit road.

Thanks. There is a Samitivej Hospital in Sriracha, and I was considering that hospital if the naval hospital doesn't have what he needs. Language may also be a problem at the naval hospital. So, I will put the Samitivej Hospital in the no 2 slot, until I can get more information on the naval hospital. 

I am not sure if either Phayathai Sri Racha or Queen Sirikit will have a nephrologist but you can ask. They are not very large facilities and certainly not able to do transplants.

He is better off coming to Bangkok for this if willing. There are less expensive alternatives to Bumrungrad in Bkk.

Let me know if that is an option and I'll suggest a doctor.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

36 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am not sure if either Phayathai Sri Racha or Queen Sirikit will have a nephrologist but you can ask. They are not very large facilities and certainly not able to do transplants.

He is better off coming to Bangkok for this if willing. There are less expensive alternatives to Bumrungrad in Bkk.

Let me know if that is an option and I'll suggest a doctor.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks. Bangkok is certainly an option. If you can recommend a doctor, that would be wonderful. He will be in BKK on the 24th of this month, and could certainly arrange to see a doctor before coming to Pattaya if the doctor could see him them. Alternatively, he could arrange to be in BKK for a day before he leaves on the 28th. This visit would be just for a check-up, and he has no medical problems at the moment (at least none of which I am aware). But his kidney transplant is a factor in selecting a doctor to do a check-up of his overall condition. Thank you.

Archived