Jump to content

"Copied forest design" of new Bangkok airport terminal abandoned


webfact

Recommended Posts

"Copied forest design" of new Bangkok airport terminal abandoned

 

9pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

 

A wooden design that critics said copied a Japanese architect's ideas has been abandoned for Suvarnabhumi's new Terminal 2 building. 

 

A board meeting at the AoT (Airports of Thailand PCL) on Wednesday decided to scrap the design of renowned Thai architect Duangrit Bunnag and his D-BALP consortium. 

 

The "forest" design was slammed in September of last year after criticism that it was just a copy of Japanese architect Kengo Kuma's wooden bridge museum in southern Japan. 

 

Critics also said it was not appropriate for an airport. 

 

Now the AoT say they will design the building themselves. 

 

What has happened to the 329 million baht design budget was not explained in either the Siam Rath or INN story about the board's decision. 

 

The project is costing 4.2 billion baht in total. 

 

Both news sources concentrated on changes to the way commercial outlets and duty free will operate at the new terminal.

 

Thaivisa notes that also back in September there was further controversy when it was reported that Duangrit Bunnag - a member of one of Thailand's most famous families - had got the contract after only finishing second in the design contest. 

 

The winners were disqualified on a technicality after not submitting an official quotation form. 

 

Source: INN | Siam Rath

 

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-21
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, the world's laughometer also hits the roof. Just how much of a fool can this regime and its agencies make of themselves before they realise, about five years too late, that there are some aspects of running a country that actually require brains?

Link to post
Share on other sites

How wrong you are Shady. The revenue from retail is a huge part of what AoT needs to operate the airports. Just look around the world & you see airports are now malls & convenience facilities for pax.

 

On numerous occasions I have needed to take a room in an airport facility, either because of multi hour waits for connections or because of delayed flights.

 

The days of airports as as utilitarian facilities died decades ago when airlines began the hub & spoke model which requires pax to spend sometimes significant time in connecting hubs. Suvarnabhumi is a global hub not simply a destination.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have time to waste at airports and I rather shop at outside. I don't like transits and would not take transit flights unless no direct flight.

In fact, air travel is a hassle with all security checks and time needed for boarding. I rather take high speed rail of there is a choice.

Nothing in airports interest me, not even the world famous Changi.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Terminal 2 building?? The steel construction is already erected. It looks like a copy of terminal1.
Maybe the article refers to Terminal 3?


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

 

Now the AoT say they will design the building themselves. 

 

This worries me. Given the number of revisions the terminal has needed to become close to functional I dread the decision making process here. I look forward to a cubic structure similar to a brutalist Stalinist office block.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luk AJ said:

Terminal 2 building?? The steel construction is already erected. It looks like a copy of terminal1.
Maybe the article refers to Terminal 3?


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No, that's a satellite concourse connected by an underground people mover to the main terminal - it is not a new terminal in its own right.

The article is about terminal 2 which would be a whole new terminal with its own separate entrance, check-in, immigration etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shady86 said:

We don't need beautiful airports, just functional and properly manned to make journeys smoother. Airport is not a place to sleep or shopping.

Depends on flight times and connections sleep may be required 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shady86 said:

I don't have time to waste at airports and I rather shop at outside. I don't like transits and would not take transit flights unless no direct flight.

In fact, air travel is a hassle with all security checks and time needed for boarding. I rather take high speed rail of there is a choice.

Nothing in airports interest me, not even the world famous Changi.

Good luck going from BKK to Paris by high speed rail

Link to post
Share on other sites
Depends on flight times and connections sleep may be required 
I rather sleep at hotel nearby. Not dumb enough to reach airports 12 hrs before my flight. Who cares what design the airport carries. Just let me check in and board smoothly. In fact 2 hrs is a waste, that's why high speed rails are killing domestic air routes in countries like Japan and China.
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doremifasol said:

 

Duangrit Bunnag you are so pathetic!!

 

Som na na !!!!

 

How does it feel to lose your face, credibility and reputation all at once?

 

 

Had a bad day?  Or did your girlfriend run off with Duangrit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

This worries me. Given the number of revisions the terminal has needed to become close to functional I dread the decision making process here. I look forward to a cubic structure similar to a brutalist Stalinist office block.

What?  You too have an aversion  to  the  "abatoir" concept? Is there  some problem  with  clanking industrial  metal  ramps and  stairways descending  to cheap plastic seats  where all can enjoy  the  approach  of  fellow  victims  whose  wheeled  baggage echoes the  clunkity  clunkity sound that varies  only with the degree of  speed  accorded  to the  paranoid  fear of  being  late for a  delayed  flight?

Cheer  up !  The  disgusting  " smoking rooms" have  gone. All is  well. I will be in attendance  next week. I shall  pretend  it  is  magnificent. (  Just  not sure  how I will cope  without  that  last  minute nicotine hit ! ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, webfact said:

What has happened to the 329 million baht design budget was not explained in either the Siam Rath or INN story about the board's decision. 

I literally LOL'd when I got to this line. Hmm, yeah, it is a mystery as to where the money went. Better check the parking lot for a couple of new BMWs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Had a bad day?  Or did your girlfriend run off with Duangrit?

No I haven't, sorry to disappoint you.

You sound like you have missed the whole Duangrit Bunnag story from the very beginning.

 

Keep it up mate.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, webfact said:

The winners were disqualified on a technicality after not submitting an official quotation form. 

The devil is in the details.

 

The winner probably had a family lawyer make sure all the paperwork was filed in due process. In this case, it looks doubtful that there be corruption. However, one never knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...