Non B conversion to Retirement Visa

Good day,

Looking at applying for a Retirement Visa, currently holding a Non B Visa, without having to return to England to do so.  I'm informed by a third party as follows:                               

1) Leave Thailand and return on a Tourist Visa

2) Apply within Thailand for a Non O Visa

3) Convert Non O Visa to Retirement Visa

Can anyone confirm if this is correct and `direct' fees involved.

Cheers

Edited by higg1279

Are you on a 90 day entry from a non-b visa or a extension of stay based upon working?

In either case there is no reason you should need to get a non-o visa to apply for an extension based upon retirement.

You can either apply for it near the end of the 90 day entry or change the reason for your extension after having it canceled at immigration.

If you had to get a non-o visa it would be best to get one at a nearby embassy or consulate rather that a tourist visa.

Joe, I'm currently on a B Visa, 90 days entry to expire mid April.

Do I apply at Immigration during this period for a Retirement Visa or have to leave the Country and return on a Tourist Visa or Non O Visa (per Siam Legal) to be eligible to apply for a Retirement Visa.

1 minute ago, higg1279 said:

Do I apply at Immigration during this period for a Retirement Visa or have to leave the Country and return on a Tourist Visa or Non O Visa (per Siam Legal) to be eligible to apply for a Retirement Visa.

You need to check with your local immigration office. All that is required is a non immigrant visa entry to apply for the extension. But some offices will tell you that you need a non-o visa. You should be able to apply during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

Best to get a single entry non-o instead of a tourist visa to avoid the extra step of applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) visa entry.

A long time ago, but I had a work permit for five years based on a non-B. The day I stopped work I went to immigration with my employer who cancelled my work permit. I then went to another desk and got a retirement extension. Fifteen years on, my original non-B is still the basis for my retirement extension.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can either apply for it near the end of the 90 day entry or change the reason for your extension after having it canceled at immigration.

If you had to get a non-o visa it would be best to get one at a nearby embassy or consulate rather that a tourist visa.

Hi Joe

In changing the reason for the extension to retirement, I presume you have to have the 800000 baht in the bank for the three months etc. Is that correct? Or do they give you some time to get that organised?

9 hours ago, xenophon said:

In changing the reason for the extension to retirement, I presume you have to have the 800000 baht in the bank for the three months etc. Is that correct? Or do they give you some time to get that organised?

Under the new rules (March 1st) it needs to be in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension. You would get no additional time to organize it.