May's Brexit deal, no-deal or delay? British PM offers lawmakers a choice

webfact

May's Brexit deal, no-deal or delay? British PM offers lawmakers a choice

By William James, Kylie MacLellan and Elizabeth Piper

2019-02-26T132555Z_1_LYNXNPEF1P0Y3_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May is seen outside of Downing Street in London, Britain, February 26, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May on Tuesday offered lawmakers the chance to vote in two weeks for a potentially disorderly no-deal Brexit or to delay Britain's exit from the European Union if her attempt to ratify a divorce agreement fails.

Opening up the possibility of a delay and removing the immediate threat of a no-deal exit on March 29 marks one of the biggest turning points in the United Kingdom's labyrinthine Brexit crisis since the 2016 referendum vote to leave the EU.

In a move which pushes back the Brexit cliff edge by three months to the end of June, May announced she was to give the lawmakers two votes on March 13-14 if she failed to get a deal approved by March 12.

The government would allow a vote on March 13 at the latest asking whether lawmakers supported leaving without a deal. If they rejected such an option, on March 14 they would vote on a "short, limited extension"Brexit delay.

"The United Kingdom will only leave without a deal on March 29 if there is explicit consent in the House for that outcome," May said, though she was clear that the British government was not removing the ultimate threat of a no-deal Brexit.

"An extension cannot take no deal off the table," May said. "The only way to do that is to revoke Article 50, which I shall not do, or agree a deal."

May said any extension, not beyond the end of June, would almost certainly have to be a one off and that her government must honour the decision to leave the EU because the credibility of British democracy was at stake.

Earlier, The Sun and Daily Mail newspapers reported that May would formally rule out a no-deal Brexit. Reuters reported on Monday that May's government was looking at different options, including a possible delay.

Sterling, which has lost about 20 cents against the dollar since the 2016 Brexit referendum, rallied 1.4 percent to $1.3284, the highest since September 2018, and it also rallied strongly against the euro.

"She seems to be giving us a date for a new cliff edge - the end of June," veteran pro-EU Conservative lawmaker Kenneth Clarke said of May's statement.

NEW CLIFF EDGE?

The EU would be ready to approve a short Brexit delay if Britain need more time to ensure parliamentary ratification of their divorce agreement, three EU officials said.

After parliament voted 432-202 against her divorce deal in January, May is trying to negotiate changes to the exit deal she agreed with the EU last year and had promised to bring it back for approval in parliament by March 12 at the latest.

The ultimate outcome remains unclear, with scenarios ranging from a last-minute deal to another referendum that May has warned would reopen the divisions of the 2016 referendum campaign or even scupper Brexit.

May's decision to give lawmakers more say over the outcome was an attempt to see off a rebellion by lawmakers and ministers in her own party who had warned they could vote on Wednesday with opposition parties to grab control of Brexit.

After May's statement, lawmakers said there would not now be a vote on Wednesday on the plan for parliament to take control if ministers confirmed May's pledges.

A delay would increase the chances of a reversal of Brexit, especially as the opposition Labour Party is tilting towards supporting another referendum.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, a leading Brexit-supporting lawmaker in May's Conservative Party, expressed concern: "If it's being delayed... as a plot to stop Brexit altogether, then I think that would be the most grievous error that politicians could commit."

Both of Britain's main parties are under intense pressure to change course on Brexit: both are deeply divided though both are officially committed to implementing Brexit.

REFERENDUM

Opposition Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said on Tuesday that even if May got her Brexit deal approved by parliament then it should be put to a "confirmatory" public vote.

"The prime minister's botched deal provides no certainty or guarantees for the future," he said, accusing May of running down the clock in a "grotesquely reckless" way.

But the tilt towards another referendum raises problems for Labour, many of whose traditional voters backed Brexit.

The 2016 referendum, in which 17.4 million voters backed leaving and 16.1 million backed staying, showed a country divided about much more than the EU, and has fuelled soul-searching about everything from secession and immigration to capitalism and modern British identity.

The crisis has left allies and investors puzzled by a country that was for decades touted as a confident pillar of Western economic and political stability.

(Additional reporting by Elizabeth Piper, Kate Holton, Michael Holden and Andrew MacAskill; Writing by Guy Faulconbridge; Editing by Janet Lawrence and Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-27
  • Haha 1

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure how ERG would negotiate ‘Leave’ having already left.

As I pointed out, they had a chance to take the keys to number 10 but they refused to show up.

I think ‘we wuz wobbled of our Brexit’ is a more powerful tool for the likes of Rees-Mogg and Johnson than is Brexit itself.

It’s not like anyone ever knew what they wanted.

The withdrawal agreement is what everyone is arguing about, not signing up to it means "no deal" ... i.e. a transition period in which the UK will then negotiate the future relationship. Now if they can convince the EU that they have a viable technological solution that future deal could include being out of both the customs union and single market, which ultimately is what they want. So there is still something to play for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

The withdrawal agreement is what everyone is arguing about, not signing up to it means "no deal" ... i.e. a transition period in which the UK will then negotiate the future relationship. Now if they can convince the EU that they have a viable technological solution that future deal could include being out of both the customs union and single market, which ultimately is what they want. So there is still something to play for.

The technological solution is a fantasy. Think about it.

• Like 2

I signed a petition to have the article 50 debated, on the basis that it would not be suspended/stopped under any circumstances.

I received a video of the debate, which in itself was disappointing in that there were only a few people involved in the debate, and they talked most of the time about another referendum, the others present were either on their phones or ipads doing god knows what. There also appeared to be a handful of the public attending as well. The government spokesman clearly confirmed that there will be no delay or stopping of leaving. I attach a link to the video.  https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/1736e63b-5fba-4445-837b-6ee041a81a0b

Edited by IssanMichael
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I'm no fan of Tommy Robinson but couldn't help noticing that he's been banned from FB and other SM platforms in the last few days. I opined yesterday that Parliament could find themselves blockaded by Diana-sized crowds if they are not careful & this fear-of-the-mob to me is the real reason why they have gagged TR and continue to label him far right, racist etc.

Brexiteers are used to the 'they're ficker than us' narrative peddled by the other side but do the state seriously think none have rumbled their intent?

We don't want unpleasantness thank you; particularly when it involves fascistic morons. 

Parliament should always act in the best best interests of the people and the country as whole regardless of what ill informed people thought 1000 days ago. As for threatening violence, try it. The courts and the army will deal with it in short order.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

The most grievous error that politicians could commit is surely to take the UK out of the EU when it is now (2019) almost certainly against the wishes of the electorate to do so.

Wot?

You mean I was flappin' fer nuffink?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Grouse said:

No. But if you start advocating violent insurrection I will.

I'm advocating no such thing pal. I will nonetheless be watching Panodrama out of idle curiosity to see what they're scared of. If they hadn't banned it/him I'd never have bothered.

Remember what I said about 'Recruiting Sergeants'?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

And the UK government are paying £10m to find a solution to the Irish backstop that the EU would agree to accept. And May, despite being told by ministers to take no-deal off the table, hasn't done so. Only offered a 3 month's extension.

The woman is obsessed with getting her deal approved, even though it's a lousy one, and far worse than staying in the EU, IMO. 

As for me, why would anyone NOT want to stay in the single market and customs union, as opposed to the blue sky thinking that deals outside the EU umbrella would make the UK better off?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

I'm no fan of Tommy Robinson but couldn't help noticing that he's been banned from FB and other SM platforms in the last few days. I opined yesterday that Parliament could find themselves blockaded by Diana-sized crowds if they are not careful & this fear-of-the-mob to me is the real reason why they have gagged TR and continue to label him far right, racist etc.

Brexiteers are used to the 'they're ficker than us' narrative peddled by the other side but do the state seriously think none have rumbled their intent?

You need to refrain from whatever indulgence you imbibe old son!

Diana sized crowds supporting Tommy Robinson - only in his wet dreams!

He's labeled a far right, racist, fascist because, er well, that's what he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Nor do I but I fear you'll reap what you have sown and will only have yourselves to blame.

Are you off to complain again?

Is that a universal you, because the fanatical right has been whipped into an outraged frenzy not by remainers but by those who know exactly what buttons to press to agitate the more reactionary - Farage, Rees Mogg, Johnson etc?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

You need to refrain from whatever indulgence you imbibe old son!

Diana sized crowds supporting Tommy Robinson - only in his wet dreams!

He's labeled a far right, racist, fascist because, er well, that's what he is.

Really? 

(Start @ 50 mins if you're not up for the full monty. It's the best 'take-down' i've seen in a very long time. I'm now off to try and find the Beebs reply)

Edited by evadgib

3 hours ago, flossie35 said:

The technological solution is a fantasy. Think about it.

But not in their minds ... so as far as they are concerned if they can get a Brexiteer in charge they will try to insist on that solution ... in the future relationship deal.

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Nor do I but I fear you'll reap what you have sown and will only have yourselves to blame.

Are you off to complain again?

I'd be very happy to put that to the test. I thought Brexit was about parliament taking back control? That's what they are doing and you are talking about riots? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I'd be very happy to put that to the test. I thought Brexit was about parliament taking back control? That's what they are doing and you are talking about riots? 

I'd describe it as nothing more than reading the tea leaves but as I'm on the wrong side feel free to insert words wherever you see fit as per the example you have so kindly provided.

Incidentally many of your peers report (no pun intended) the Bercow button is a useful backup.

HTH

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1