international cashier's check

Can someone please tell me if an international cashier's check, issued in the US, can be cashed here? And, can a bank debit card, issued by Visa or MasterCard, (which is actually a gift card) be used in Thailand? I live in Hat Yai, and wouldn't go to Bangkok just to cash the check or use the card!

I originally posted this in general topics, because I didn't realize that there's a sub-forum that includes banking. Couldn't find the original post in the scroll, otherwise I'd'a tried to move it here. 

You original post was actually moved here to this forum, there should have been a link left in General but sometimes it doesn't work, anyway I've now hidden it so this is your live thread.

You should be able to pay a foreign cheque into your local account, but it can take a long time to clear and won't be free. You are unlikely to be able to cash it directly.

Your card issues by Visa / Mastercard should work just fine for purchases and in cash machines, I say "should" as a "gift card" may have restrictions, check with the issuing bank. 

Archived