Visa/re-entry advice needed.

Hi,

I may need to return briefly to the U.K at the end of the month due to family reasons. It has come at a bit of an awkward time as I have booked to go to Vientiane to renew my tourist visa quite soon. I'm concerned that due to my extended periods of time in Thailand that there may be a possibility of refusal on re-entry based on recent trends, so wanted to consider the options available to me and the likely outcome should I decide to go.

I have to renew my visa soon in the first instance. I can still go to Vientiane or I could cancel that and just get a visa exempt to last me till I may go. Problem with that though, is that I'll only be gone a week, would have family responsibilities, and wouldn't really have time to get a new Thai visa from London (I've always done postal application in the past, and that's if they approved it anyway).

I have been considering  the idea of using a re-entry permit if I got the new tourist visa from Vientiane, so that I would have most of the visa still left when I return. Would entering on a re-entry permit carry any more weight regarding admission than if you were entering on a new tourist visa. What I mean is, am I less likely to encounter difficulties. Obviously, I'm looking for a successful outcome so I'm looking for the highest probability method to use. Entering on a tourist visa would seem more probable to me than if I came back and wanted to enter visa exempt. Can you actually re-enter on a visa exempt though? This all applies to entering at Suvarnabhumi. The other thought I had was to fly back to a neighbouring country and enter overland from there. Where do you suggest would be the most successful points for entry if I took this option?

My P.P history goes back to summer 2015. In total I have 1 double tourist visa (Vientiane), 5 singles (2 Vientiane, 2 London, 1 Savannakhet), 1 transfered from old P.P and 4 visa exempts up to the present. All entries have been extended. However, I returned to the UK for 13 months in 2016/17 and for 2 months in spring 2017, so it's not a constant stay. I'm approaching 50 which I think perhaps makes some difference in their assumptions.

Appreciate any advice you guys can provide, 

Thanks

Edited by starship

The worst possible idea would be to try to enter by air visa exempt.

Assuming you want to return by air directly into Thailand, I personally believe the re-entry permit on an existing permission to stay would be a bit safer than a new tourist visa. That is more a hunch than something based on solid data.

I recall a rejection reported fairly recently on a re-entry permit from a TR Visa by air.  Once you are in that area of control (Bangkok Airport immigration), you are subject to their whims.  It is a game of "odds" - in your favor, but not assured.  I agree with the above - anything is better than attempting a new visa-exempt entry by air, with a longer-stay history.

OTOH, Visa-Exempt entry by land 2x per calendar year is no problem at any land-border other than Poipet.  You might consider your return-flight to Penang or KL, then take the train in through Pedang Besar, then fly onward domestic from Hat Yai.  It's a PITA, but is a way to avoid the lying/lawless procedures common at Bangkok Airports. 

Another option would be a flight direct to Chiang Mai airport with your TR-Visa w/ re-entry permit, as they are not reported to invent unlawful / fake reasons to deny entry there.

Hey, thanks for replies.

I agree, and was thinking anyway to re-enter on a tourist visa rather than exempt. I'm just concerned about entering at Suvarnabhumi for the reasons you mention, although it would obviously be the least hassle as I'm in Bangkok. 

I was considering of KL also, although haven't there been reports about problems/refusals at the southern border in recent times? The Chiang Mai entry could be a good alternative as you mention, although I haven't looked into wether there are direct flights to there from the U.K - I'll check it out.

3 hours ago, starship said:

I was considering of KL also, although haven't there been reports about problems/refusals at the southern border in recent times?

Only one I saw of a person with a Visa - and they have multiple past overstays. 

The only commonly reported issues there, vs other locations, are showing 20K Baht in Cash or travelers checks (entering w/ a Visa), and having to stay out at least one night on an out/in for a Visa-Exempt entry.