Temperature Difference Europe - Thailand

ThichMindfullness

Mid-march I will be leaving here in Belgium (Europe) in temperatures of 5-10 °C. Now I would like to know how I will experience the difference of cold (which I'm currently used of) and 12 hours later I arrive in hot temperatures of 30-35 °C in Thailand.

Does anyone have experience with this? How do you experience this? Any tips?

Also, I've got a winter skin now, how do I prevent from getting burned when I arrive? Should I do some tanning in tanningsalons before I leave here?

With kind regards,

Dieter.

Heh, I used to be tan but am now pale from 3 years in Thailand living among my wife's family... I get burns when I go back to the US on visits and sit in the sun at lunchtime (like I always used to). Nobody would eat lunch in the sun here, because you couldn't drink fast enough to keep up with the sweating. :o

I am not sure the exact temperature change matters... saunas and snow don't kill people. But the climate change will be a shock. Just use common sense and be aware that you have a risk of dehydrating or getting heat stroke, just as you might on an unusually hot summer day in Europe. When I was acclimating, I found that purchasing "rehydration salts" at the market to mix into a glass of water was often relieving. This is sort of like a "sports drink" but has less sugar... you can get plenty of sugar in your foods.

Mid-march I will be leaving here in Belgium (Europe) in temperatures of 5-10 °C. Now I would like to know how I will experience the difference of cold (which I'm currently used of) and 12 hours later I arrive in hot temperatures of 30-35 °C in Thailand.

Does anyone have experience with this? How do you experience this? Any tips?

Also, I've got a winter skin now, how do I prevent from getting burned when I arrive? Should I do some tanning in tanningsalons before I leave here?

With kind regards,

Dieter.

I experienced a cold day about 2 months ago. It was 19 degrees at six in the morning. Couldn't take a shower. No hot water here. Had to wear jeans, shirt, polo, and, god forbid, a leather jacket. Stunk all day.

Tips - lose the western jeans for some asian style levis.

- don't worry about a heater in your house

- hot water is not essential (only 1 or 2 days per year)

- make sure you don't wear tight under garments

- lots of talcum powder

- plenty of canestan or petroleum jelly

- UV 40+ sunblock (if you actually intend to spend time out doors)

- never wear nike's

moral of the story - just make the adjustments you deem necessary for whatever holiday or lifestyle you want in thai.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Edited by soundman

I think that one of the greatest experiences there is is to leave a cold bleak climate and then the instant you walk out the door of the airplane in Bangkok (because it really was out of doors when you arrived at Don Muoang) that lush tropical air hits you right in the face....my comment has always been, "Toto....we're not in Kansas anymore!!!"...while grinning from ear to ear.

Chownah

I think that one of the greatest experiences there is is to leave a cold bleak climate and then the instant you walk out the door of the airplane in Bangkok (because it really was out of doors when you arrived at Don Muoang) that lush tropical air hits you right in the face....my comment has always been, "Toto....we're not in Kansas anymore!!!"...while grinning from ear to ear.

Chownah

Nothing like that smell of the open sewer to remind you of arrival. Funny how it plays on the sixth sense & lets you know fun is only 20 min away.

Soundman.

Best not to drink much alcohol, it makes you sweat like an ox.

Avoid the sun and drink loads of water with sodium and glucose!

For the rest, just take it easy and enjoy!

Good advice. Dehydration can be a source of multiple discomforts in Thailand. A falang friend of mine suffered from one affliction after another here. (He is a monk so alcohol not an issue.) He told me all his problems were related to dehydration. Once he started drinking a lot of water, he stopped going to hospital.

Chownah

Cold bleak weather - and Kansas - may be nice to leave but believe me, when you're leaving a Southern California beach city - 75 degrees, ocean breeze, and no humidity - arriving in Bangkok is like entering Dante's Inferno.

My tips for coping:

Try not to walk too fast

Stay hydrated - plain old water works best

Wear lightweight, light colored, loose fitting cotton clothing and sandals (please, no black socks :-0 )

Take a nap

Don't over-aircondition yourself, it will only feel that much hotter when you go outside

Shower twice a day

Use plenty of talcum powder

Seek the shade, avoid direct sun whenever possible

If you're heading upcountry, wear a wide-brimmed hat when out in the sun

Don't eat big, greasy, heavy farang meals - eat light meals of Thai food with rice or noodles

Follow those tips and you'll be fine.

You guy's are great! Thank you very much for your information.

Soundman, why cant I wear nike shoes? I actually do wear them always....

BTW: I'm heading to Krabi.

Nothing against Nike - you can wear gumboots or mocassins if you want.

Theory - Hot weather - tight non porous shoes - lots of sweaty feet - big problem!!!!

Cheers,

Soundman.

Ohh lol, I thought that you ment that the Thai's had some kind of issue with Nike (the company). :D

I'm was planning to get me some sandals in krabi at a local store anyway :o Probally way cheaper over there then here in europe.

With kind regards,

Dieter.

You guy's are great! Thank you very much for your information.

Soundman, why cant I wear nike shoes? I actually do wear them always....

BTW: I'm heading to Krabi.

Nothing against Nike - you can wear gumboots or mocassins if you want.

Theory - Hot weather - tight non porous shoes - lots of sweaty feet - big problem!!!!

Cheers,

Soundman.

Great answers. I'd drink lots of water and Bt5 electrolytes once a day (available at any pharmacy). Eat lots of fruit. Cotton underwear and cotton clothing. Sometimes I rolled up wet washcloths and stuck them in the freezer. Very refreshing to put on your face and neck on really hot days.