Another Car In The Moat

chiang mai

Driving around the moat road yesterday around lunch time and the tow truck is trying to pull another car out of the moat, just across from Ram. How do people manage to do it I wonder, I mean, over the curb, over the verge, miss the trees - have to be going at some fair old wack to even be able to attempt to make the water. Several months back I saw a female tourist on motorbike come down a soi near to Maddogs, go straight across the moat road and into the water. I couldn't figure that one out either. Curiously both accidents happened around mid morning/day so I figure the likely hood of a booze related accident was low. Whilst I do know that many Thai drivers don't have the swiftest reflexes and judgment when driving but goodness forbid, help me understand this.

alway sad to see such event . and offen it kill or seriously injury the driver

motorcycle is common also .

i help out once to safe a old lady driver that drove her Pick up into the water . some years ago . she said she was trying to avoid another car - and not ramp her pick up onto other rider.

so she choose to dive into the moat .

so sometime is not the driver to be blame . offen the real thing is far from what we see .

"Whilst I do know that many Thai drivers don't have the swiftest reflexes and judgment when driving but goodness forbid, help me understand this."

Well, in the few yrs I've been here, I've seen this a couple times. Once was just opposite the Lai THai Guesthouse by the (SE) Ka Tam corner. It was a pick-up driven by a Thai around midnight. Methinks alchy-hol was involved.

The other time I was driving my moto inside the moat and rounding the same SE Ka Tam corner, just turning onto MoonMuang. Quite the contrary to going for the moat, there was a Farangy who must've swerved too hard, as he went straight into the streetsign there on the inside left corner. The sign was planted stiff enough that the car actually drove up at about a 30 degree angle. So there's the Farang suspended 4 or 5 feet off the ground, trying to figure out how to jump down from the (rental) car and figure out just how bad things were. He seemed alright so I chalk it all up to a hilarious surprise as I turned the corner.

I thought that was what the moat was for. Why don't we just label it the DDDD: Drunk Driver Disposal Depot?

By the way, in police parlance we call these Single Vehicle Victimless Accidents. AKA dumb as they comes

Edited by The Snark