Overstay border crossings

My friend has overstayed 60 days currently. He was on a non o based on marraige from Savannakhet.

Will he require to fly out of Thailand and pay the fine at the airport in order to come back in or can he do this at a land border.

His plan was to cross at Mukdahan in order to get another non O based on marraige in Savan. He would then pay the fine at the bridge.

I told him he may need to fly out of Thailand to pay the fine with no issues?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

He might be turned away at Mukdahan when leaving the country to go to Savannakhet.
The crossing at Nong Khai to Vientiane might be a better choice if only wants a single entry non-o visa.
It risky going to any border crossing with an overstay.
Much better to fly out of the country. 
Thats what I thought Joe thanks. Do you see him having issues with a non o multi at Savanakhet? Only thinking about his overstay.

15 minutes ago, baneko said:

I told him he may need to fly out of Thailand to pay the fine with no issues?

That is definitely the best option.

Is your freind aware that he could have got a 60 day extension of stay for 1,900 baht? If not it’s worth telling him to avoid this situation in the future.

20 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

OP, you only need the answers from the above 2 experts, and ME!!!! ????

<deleted>. Some folk don't know AirAsia now fly DM to Vientiane. In fact that service not really that old. Since op friend was advised to fly out re overstay, I thought I would add minor added info. Tell me what did you add apart from jab from your keyboard. Grow up.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

<deleted>. Some folk don't know AirAsia now fly DM to Vientiane. In fact that service not really that old. Since op friend was advised to fly out re overstay, I thought I would add minor added info. Tell me what did you add apart from jab from your keyboard. Grow up.

ok then, i'll add this.

his friend wants a multiple entry non o in which case it may be easier for his mate to fly direct to hcmc to get it rather than go to vientiane and then have to make his way all the way over to savannaket. 

hcmc can be done with a one night stay (and depending on nationality may not need a visa)

Edited by MARK74
  • Like 2

Thanks for all of the replies.

He can also fly BKK to Savannakhet via Pakse. Its a little more expensive but less hastle than getting to Savan from Vientiane.

I will leave the travel up to him but again advise flying.

I have heard of HCMC doing these visas. Hes an older lad that has been Savan before so will probably use this option. He also knows that no funds are required in Savannakhet. Im not sure about HCMC.

Cheers.

26 minutes ago, baneko said:

Thanks for all of the replies.

He can also fly BKK to Savannakhet via Pakse. Its a little more expensive but less hastle than getting to Savan from Vientiane.

I will leave the travel up to him but again advise flying.

I have heard of HCMC doing these visas. Hes an older lad that has been Savan before so will probably use this option. He also knows that no funds are required in Savannakhet. Im not sure about HCMC.

Cheers.

just let him know, funds aren't required in hcmc. by taking the earliest flight from bangkok he can get to the consulate in hcmc in good time, it's pretty close to the airport. pick up the visa the next day and fly out that evening. would be a lot less hassle for him than going to laos but i understand what you mean about familiarity. 

requirements in hcmc are the same as savannaket except he would just need a hand written letter from spouse requesting the visa, no financials required. au lac hotel is good value and an easy walk to/from the consulate 

Edited by MARK74
  • Like 2

Laos has been known to block boarding for those with overstays.  Not sure if that is only some airlines (national carrier) or a general policy - but worth checking out before buying tickets

The "sure thing" flight out would be to Malaysia (couldn't care less about Thai overstays) - though I realize a "no financials" Non-O-ME is not available there (though w/financials, it is in Penang). 

Maybe someone can inform if Vietnam has any problem with stamping folks in having relatively long Thai overstays in their passport, since he could get a "no-financials" 1-year Non-O-ME in HCMC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MARK74 said:

just let him know, funds aren't required in hcmc. by taking the earliest flight from bangkok he can get to the consulate in hcmc in good time, it's pretty close to the airport. pick up the visa the next day and fly out that evening. would be a lot less hassle for him than going to laos but i understand what you mean about familiarity. 

requirements in hcmc are the same as savannaket except he would just need a hand written letter from spouse requesting the visa, no financials required. au lac hotel is good value and an easy walk to/from the consulate 

Earliest flight into Saigon arrives after 9am. Depends if fella is visa exempt to Vietnam. Even if visa exempt. (Many countries are) will still be pressed to make cut off for application by 11.30am. Pick up next day is after 2ish. Again pressure for last flight to bkk. Quote op..  "he is an older lad" 

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Earliest flight into Saigon arrives after 9am. Depends if fella is visa exempt to Vietnam. Even if visa exempt. (Many countries are) will still be pressed to make cut off for application by 11.30am. Pick up next day is after 2ish. Again pressure for last flight to bkk. Quote op..  "he is an older lad" 

best mate does it all the time and i have been with him a couple of times to have a night out, never been late to put docs in. only takes about 20 minutes by taxi to the consulate

next day pick up he gets the flight around 6/7pm and has to wait around for a few hours at the airport and there are later flights than that.

he is an older lad so will appreciate the fact he can take a taxi straight there and straight to the airport for peanuts

and if the flight was delayed and there was a huge road crash just the morning he needs to put the docs in he could stay an extra night but i would put good money on if the guy reported back that it went just as i posted

Edited by MARK74

Laos has been known to block boarding for those with overstays.  Not sure if that is only some airlines (national carrier) or a general policy - but worth checking out before buying tickets

The "sure thing" flight out would be to Malaysia (couldn't care less about Thai overstays) - though I realize a "no financials" Non-O-ME is not available there (though w/financials, it is in Penang). 

Maybe someone can inform if Vietnam has any problem with stamping folks in having relatively long Thai overstays in their passport, since he could get a "no-financials" 1-year Non-O-ME in HCMC.
I would expext his Thai Marraige Cert and House Book could be produced to show he will be returning to Thailand.

Then again we all know with airlines common sense does not prevail. They may also be concerned he is not given entry back to Thailand.