leave with ED, comeback with SETV ?

Hi,

I want to do a border hop to cambodia and connect that with a trip to angkor wat. I have already been to laos and myanmar but I understand if that is the easier option. Once Im back im going to get a new ED in thailand with my school. (they told me to do so)

Last time at poi pet it wasnt a pleasent experience as it was extremely packed. 

Will I be fine going to cambodia or use another border instead ?

Thank you ????

You can return at any other entry-point EXCEPT Poi-Pet, who might deny-entry based on a lie, if you have recently been in Thailand.  This applies to those with a valid Tourist Visa as well as those who wish to enter Visa-Exempt.

I assume you will be entering visa-exempt?  Ban Laem is a good alternative, though a bit out of the way coming back from Siem Reap (Angkor Wat).  Fact is, both the northern and southern alternatives to Poipet are "out of the way" - and which you use depends on where you plan to return to within Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You can return at any other entry-point EXCEPT Poi-Pet, who might deny-entry based on a lie, if you have recently been in Thailand.  This applies to those with a valid Tourist Visa as well as those who wish to enter Visa-Exempt.

I assume you will be entering visa-exempt?  Ban Laem is a good alternative, though a bit out of the way coming back from Siem Reap (Angkor Wat).  Fact is, both the northern and southern alternatives to Poipet are "out of the way" - and which you use depends on where you plan to return to within Thailand.

Actually Ban Laem would be very convenient for me location-wise. Are you sure that it is much safer than Poi Pet ?
I am from germany if that matters and have been in thailand for the past whole year with an ED and as a tourist before that.

I could also just fly to Laos but as I side that would be a little boring so Im looking for an alternative.

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Why didnt ED come back with you?

Because my school told me I could get it when Im in thailand so I chose that route.

2 hours ago, fullofmax said:

Actually Ban Laem would be very convenient for me location-wise. Are you sure that it is much safer than Poi Pet ?

Definitely better.  Except at Poipet, we have no reports for years of denied-entry at land-borders other than limited by the 2x Visa-Exempts per calendar year rule.  This is not to say it can never happen, but is highly unlikely.  By contrast, many reports of problems at Poipet.

In another case, a visitor entering from a Malaysian crossing with a Tourist Visa was denied-entry - but admitted multiple overstays.  If you don't have overstays, that will not be an issue.

I am from germany if that matters and have been in thailand for the past whole year with an ED and as a tourist before that.

I would definitely not fly in, or enter at Poipet with that history. 

I could also just fly to Laos but as I side that would be a little boring so Im looking for an alternative.

Flying "TO" Laos might be ok, but you'd need to return via one of the Friendship Bridge crossings to be safe.  You can fly out of Udon Thanni domestic (no immigration involved) to avoid a long bus-ride back.

Reports indicate the Bangkok airport IOs are getting so worked up with hate/jealousy over foreigners having the time/money to spend here, they have been reported giving a hard time to some even on departure.  I got an "exit interview" leaving via Poipet a few years back, when they first went-bad - questioned about my travels, etc - though that did not affect future entries via law-abiding land-borders. 

The most important factor about entering by land is this:

If denied-entry by land, you can walk back and cancel your exit-stamp.  Most times (except at Poipet), you will not even get an official denial of entry in their system. 
But, if denied-entry by air, you are put in detention, forced to purchase a last-minute flight to where you came from, and almost certainly are given an official "denied entry" in the Thailand immigration system.

Because my school told me I could get it when Im in thailand so I chose that route.

You would get the paperwork here for an ED from your school, but unless it is for a 4-year university, I'd be surprised if you will not need to go back-out to Laos to get a new ED Visa.  Immigration generally does not do Non-ED stamps in-country from TR holders - just ED-extensions if you enter on an ED Visa.  That said, you can study legally while on a TR entry.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Definitely better.  Except at Poipet, we have no reports for years of denied-entry at land-borders other than limited by the 2x Visa-Exempts per calendar year rule.  This is not to say it can never happen, but is highly unlikely.  By contrast, many reports of problems at Poipet.

In another case, a visitor entering from a Malaysian crossing with a Tourist Visa was denied-entry - but admitted multiple overstays.  If you don't have overstays, that will not be an issue.

I would definitely not fly in, or enter at Poipet with that history. 

Flying "TO" Laos might be ok, but you'd need to return via one of the Friendship Bridge crossings to be safe.  You can fly out of Udon Thanni domestic (no immigration involved) to avoid a long bus-ride back.

Reports indicate the Bangkok airport IOs are getting so worked up with hate/jealousy over foreigners having the time/money to spend here, they have been reported giving a hard time to some even on departure.  I got an "exit interview" leaving via Poipet a few years back, when they first went-bad - questioned about my travels, etc - though that did not affect future entries via law-abiding land-borders. 

The most important factor about entering by land is this:

If denied-entry by land, you can walk back and cancel your exit-stamp.  Most times (except at Poipet), you will not even get an official denial of entry in their system. 
But, if denied-entry by air, you are put in detention, forced to purchase a last-minute flight to where you came from, and almost certainly are given an official "denied entry" in the Thailand immigration system.

You would get the paperwork here for an ED from your school, but unless it is for a 4-year university, I'd be surprised if you will not need to go back-out to Laos to get a new ED Visa.  Immigration generally does not do Non-ED stamps in-country from TR holders - just ED-extensions if you enter on an ED Visa.  That said, you can study legally while on a TR entry.

He cannot go to Vientiane. They will not issue an ED visa if you have already had one in the previous 12 months

13 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

He cannot go to Vientiane. They will not issue an ED visa if you have already had one in the previous 12 months

This is a good point - but with the next entry and extension, hopefully past that limit.  If it is close, going out for a SETV might be a better choice - unless that + extension would still not exceed 12-mo from the last ED date-of-issuance.

Also, I am not sure if that 1-year limit on ED applications only applies to Vientiane, or also to Savannakhet and Penang, also?  I only recall cases reported at Vientiane.