Disconnected dash cam.

Back in the old days, every time I pulled into a petrol station, the pump attendant would turn off my lights on my motorbike "to save petrol". They would never ask me, just do it. I wanted the lights on.

Maybe these mechanics are "saving your battery".

???? you can tell how much I know about the terminology when it comes to cars. Yes I guess that's what I meant.

22 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

From the OP - "The other day it went to have the brake discs cleaned"

And what is this ? Did you have the rotors skimmed - is that what you mean ?

35 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Only if they don't want you to know what they have done and/or where they have been, did you check your odometer

Yes, I always take a photo before I leave it with them as in the past the tank has been almost empty. This time they had done 11 Kilometers. Seemed a lot to check for squeaky breaks.

58 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Back in the old days, every time I pulled into a petrol station, the pump attendant would turn off my lights on my motorbike "to save petrol". They would never ask me, just do it. I wanted the lights on.

Maybe these mechanics are "saving your battery".

Your lights can be a form of igniting petrol.

26 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

Yes, I always take a photo before I leave it with them as in the past the tank has been almost empty. This time they had done 11 Kilometers. Seemed a lot to check for squeaky breaks.

And exactly the distance from Kathu to town ????

41 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

the reason I asked it's because mine was returned on empty tank and door scratch, they must have thought I had photos because when I pointed it out they immediately agree to fix it....after that I got in the habit of always taking photos even if they look at me with a surprise look, but my friend says... better safe than sorry

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

And yet here we are 15 years later and all motorbikes in Thailand have lights permanently on and yes, you're right, we have exploding petrol stations as a result on a daily basis. ????

Boom! There goes another one.

Don't know what your on about, today ignition off lights off, if you have lights on at night time in a petrol garage your suppose to turn them off.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

Change your garage. Would like to ask how long they wanted it just to clean/sort out brakes. Should have taken no more than an hour. Have just had my 20th service the usual oil change ECT. Then all wheels off clean brakes change wheels round all done in under an hour.

You cant wait that long?

At my local Toyo garage you can sit in an A/Con room all glass overlooking the service bay. They even encourage you to stand/sit next to your lump to have a close up of what's being done. 

If they take it for a test drive you are asked if you want to go with them. I always do all of the above.

Thais don't seem to, they sit in the aircon: room and drink also eat all the freebees that are offered. My lump never travels more than 100mt, Maybe a bit further 150mt if I have their free valet.

Edited by fredob43

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Your lights can be a form of igniting petrol.

Turning them off that would creating a spark in the switch rather than just leaving them on. Just in the rare case the driver with a hammer smash your heads, boom.

39 minutes ago, donim said:

Turning them off that would creating a spark in the switch rather than just leaving them on. Just in the rare case the driver with a hammer smash your heads, boom.

Yeah I was just saying the guy in the garage turning lights off was doing his job and it turns into a brexit. ???? 

7 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Change your garage. Would like to ask how long they wanted it just to clean/sort out brakes. Should have taken no more than an hour. Have just had my 20th service the usual oil change ECT. Then all wheels off clean brakes change wheels round all done in under an hour.

You cant wait that long?

At my local Toyo garage you can sit in an A/Con room all glass overlooking the service bay. They even encourage you to stand/sit next to your lump to have a close up of what's being done. 

If they take it for a test drive you are asked if you want to go with them. I always do all of the above.

Thais don't seem to, they sit in the aircon: room and drink also eat all the freebees that are offered. My lump never travels more than 100mt, Maybe a bit further 150mt if I have their free valet.

I took it in at 9am and was told to pick it up at 3.30pm.

12 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I took it in at 9am and was told to pick it up at 3.30pm.

6.5 hours sounds a bit long to me. Even allowing for their normal 1 hour lunch break.

You didn't say what they had done, if they skimmed the brake discs could account for some of the time, that's not a 5 minute job. Now add on the 11km. (WHY that amount) Unless they used it to go out to have lunch or pick up the wife to go shopping.

Then they Disconnected the Dash cam??? something smells. Some buggers taking the pee.

Stay with your lump to see what's going on. I know not always an easy thing but at least that will stop them getting up to their usual tricks. You could always tell them you will pop back in a bit later to see how things are progressing. Not that you should have to if they were any good and trust worthy. 

As suggested before change your garage. Would suggest you informed Ford head office about your problems. Sorry to say you wont even get an answer from them their after sales service is at best rubbish. (Allegedly)

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Honda did it to me at my previous dealership for revision but don’t at the one I’m using now .

I did wonder why they did it at the time as with the bonnet/hood up what you gonna see ?

They were worried that you had the audio on?

12 hours ago, fredob43 said:

6.5 hours sounds a bit long to me. Even allowing for their normal 1 hour lunch break.

You didn't say what they had done, if they skimmed the brake discs could account for some of the time, that's not a 5 minute job. Now add on the 11km. (WHY that amount) Unless they used it to go out to have lunch or pick up the wife to go shopping.

Then they Disconnected the Dash cam??? something smells. Some buggers taking the pee.

Stay with your lump to see what's going on. I know not always an easy thing but at least that will stop them getting up to their usual tricks. You could always tell them you will pop back in a bit later to see how things are progressing. Not that you should have to if they were any good and trust worthy. 

As suggested before change your garage. Would suggest you informed Ford head office about your problems. Sorry to say you wont even get an answer from them their after sales service is at best rubbish. (Allegedly)

I was told that they had removed some rust from the brake discs and put some sort of lubricant on somewhere to stop the noise that was occurring when the steering wheel was fully turned to the right, they were the two things I'd taken it in for. Both problems are still there after driving around this weekend.

It would seem that not only their after sales service is rubbish! 

19 minutes ago, Goldieinkathu said:

I was told that they had removed some rust from the brake discs and put some sort of lubricant on somewhere to stop the noise that was occurring when the steering wheel was fully turned to the right, they were the two things I'd taken it in for. Both problems are still there after driving around this weekend.

It would seem that not only their after sales service is rubbish! 

Do you have a 4X4? if so it might be the front drive shaft bearings that are playing up on full lock. Just greasing them wont work, well not for long. They will have to be changed.

As far as removing rust, how are the discs rusty unless you have left it for a long while unused. You can get a rust build up then, but under normal use they should clear themselves as soon as you use your brakes. Total time for doing both jobs around an hour. Unless they changed the bearing, Then you can add a bit. As said before someone is taking the pee.

Bit late for anymore replies tonight off now to watch the football.

Edited by fredob43

11 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Do you have a 4X4? if so it might be the front drive shaft bearings that are playing up on full lock. Just greasing them wont work, well not for long. They will have to be changed.

As far as removing rust, how are the discs rusty unless you have left it for a long while unused. You can get a rust build up then, but under normal use they should clear themselves as soon as you use your brakes. Total time for doing both jobs around an hour. Unless they changed the bearing, Then you can add a bit. As said before someone is taking the pee.

Bit late for anymore replies tonight off now to watch the football.

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

No it's not a 4x4, it's a crappy Fiesta.

All I know is that I tell them what the problem is and they are the mechanics, they should know what to do to fix it. As you can tell from my posts I don't know the first thing about all this stuff.

The car is booked in again now for Thursday and I've taped the noises for them to listen to ( as I did the first time) and this time I will tell them not to unplug the dash cam.

I'm beyond sick of this dealer to be honest and am already in a court case with Ford. We'd have gotten rid of this heap of junk before but the price offered due to the reputation plus the court case means we're still stuck with it for now.

But that's another story. Mainly I wanted to know if it's common to disconnect the dash cam.

3 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

No it's not a 4x4, it's a crappy Fiesta.

All I know is that I tell them what the problem is and they are the mechanics, they should know what to do to fix it. As you can tell from my posts I don't know the first thing about all this stuff.

The car is booked in again now for Thursday and I've taped the noises for them to listen to ( as I did the first time) and this time I will tell them not to unplug the dash cam.

I'm beyond sick of this dealer to be honest and am already in a court case with Ford. We'd have gotten rid of this heap of junk before but the price offered due to the reputation plus the court case means we're still stuck with it for now.

But that's another story. Mainly I wanted to know if it's common to disconnect the dash cam.

No. It's not common to disconnect the Dash Cam. I have never had it happen to me both here or in the UK. Only if they are trying to hide something?

Suggest you get one of their so called mechanics to sit in your Lump and show him what your problems are. Maybe then they can sort out & fix your problem. Doesn't sound to much anyway Best of luck. 

I have had Fords in the past they have always been simple to work on. Lately they seem to be trying to keep up with the big boys and they can't it seems get anything to work for any length of time.

Sorry to hear that you have tried to sell your lump and the price has gone down, One of the joys of owning a Ford. Not teaching you anything you don't already know but don't buy a Ford again. (Sorry Ford owners)

As a by, there is a thing on the internet my wife told me about, all in Thai. Some Thai man has just brought a new Ford Everest for 1.7/8mil bt, he's had it for less than 6 weeks and it's gone Tits up wont even start. It's still on Red plates. Seems Ford doesn't know what's wrong. So cant fix it. I don't think he's best pleased. Oh the Joys of owning a car here. 

Edited by fredob43

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 2:53 PM, fredob43 said:

No. It's not common to disconnect the Dash Cam. I have never had it happen to me both here or in the UK. Only if they are trying to hide something?

Suggest you get one of their so called mechanics to sit in your Lump and show him what your problems are. Maybe then they can sort out & fix your problem. Doesn't sound to much anyway Best of luck. 

I have had Fords in the past they have always been simple to work on. Lately they seem to be trying to keep up with the big boys and they can't it seems get anything to work for any length of time.

Sorry to hear that you have tried to sell your lump and the price has gone down, One of the joys of owning a Ford. Not teaching you anything you don't already know but don't buy a Ford again. (Sorry Ford owners)

As a by, there is a thing on the internet my wife told me about, all in Thai. Some Thai man has just brought a new Ford Everest for 1.7/8mil bt, he's had it for less than 6 weeks and it's gone Tits up wont even start. It's still on Red plates. Seems Ford doesn't know what's wrong. So cant fix it. I don't think he's best pleased. Oh the Joys of owning a car here. 

We asked Ford Phuket why they disconnected the dash cam and they said it's their policy.

Make of that what you will. We have instructed them not to touch it in future.