Tourist Visa Entry or Risk Prison

5 hours ago, fireundersh said:
23 hours ago, elviajero said:

Only the visitors trying to live long months/years in the country as a tourist.

Tourists have nothing to worry about.

It's not true. I come first time in Thailand, with 60 days tourist visa, released by thai embassy. At io, in suvarnabumi, they changed my Visa in 30 days, without any reason. It looks like that everything is random, it depends which officer you find at immigration.

It is evidently true.

There could be several reasons why you only received 30 days; two being,

IO’s sometimes make mistakes and stamp people in for 30 days when it should be 60. If that happened then you can go to immigration and have it corrected.

Some nationalities only qualify for 30 days even with a Tourist Visa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It is evidently true.

There could be several reasons why you only received 30 days; two being,

IO’s sometimes make mistakes and stamp people in for 30 days when it should be 60. If that happened then you can go to immigration and have it corrected.

Some nationalities only qualify for 30 days even with a Tourist Visa.

I am Italian, I have 60 days tourist Visa released by Italian embassy in Rome. No mistake, I showed the visa 2 times at officer. I waste about 4/5 days ping pong between immigration suvarnabumi and immigration changwattana, asking for corrections, after I got bored, because I didn't want spend all holiday with these stupid burocratic stuff, so I asked 30 days extension...

15 minutes ago, fireundersh said:

I am Italian, I have 60 days tourist Visa released by Italian embassy in Rome. No mistake, I showed the visa 2 times at officer. I waste about 4/5 days ping pong between immigration suvarnabumi and immigration changwattana, asking for corrections, after I got bored, because I didn't want spend all holiday with these stupid burocratic stuff, so I asked 30 days extension...

So what reason did they give for reducing your stay to 30 days?

At the end of the day an IO can give you any stay they want up to the maximum of 60 days. But there is usually a reason for giving less than 60 days. 

Something is not right about your story.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

So what reason did they give for reducing your stay to 30 days?

At the end of the day an IO can give you any stay they want up to the maximum of 60 days. But there is usually a reason for giving less than 60 days. 

Something is not right about your story.

You can think what do you want, I have already told you the reason why they reducing, because I have booked hotel only for 1 week instead of full trip. This is what io said 

3 hours ago, fireundersh said:

The country has already showed his preference on chinese tourists, for the simple reason that no one of them want live in Thailand...just come for short time, spend money and go...making less problems than westeners 

This is completely false as plenty of Chinese live in Thailand as illegal tour guides, call centre scammers, language teachers and even professional beggars. Where do you get your information from?

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:
6 hours ago, fireundersh said:

The country has already showed his preference on chinese tourists, for the simple reason that no one of them want live in Thailand...just come for short time, spend money and go...making less problems than westeners 

This is completely false as plenty of Chinese live in Thailand as illegal tour guides, call centre scammers, language teachers and even professional beggars. Where do you get your information from?

Not only that - and this risk is more prevalent from people of any country where wages are lower than Thailand (for obvious reasons) - but setting that aside, "less problems than Westerners" for whom? 

A poll of Thais who deal with foreigners, in any area where tourists frequent, will yield the opposite results on which foreign-nationals they prefer to deal with.

Edited by JackThompson

7 hours ago, fireundersh said:

The situation is pretty clear, the westeners presence here is old fashion and not welcome. The country has already showed his preference on chinese tourists, for the simple reason that no one of them want live in Thailand...just come for short time, spend money and go...making less problems than westeners dreams to come in Thailand, pretending to live here in westener way at asian prices. Life is easy, it's problematic visit or stay longer in Thailand? Just skip to another country, world is big enough 

i live here long time. everyone love me. nothing change. "visa" easy. immigration easy. spend more money than tourist.

5 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

Stuck in an immigration room overnight is not prison more like a hotel. You pay for it. You can order pizza.
Toilet paper is available. When your deport flight comes if you are business class can you go to the lounge?

Do you actually get your own room? I've heard you have to share with Nigerians and various other nationalities.

The situation is pretty clear, the westeners presence here is old fashion and not welcome. The country has already showed his preference on chinese tourists, for the simple reason that no one of them want live in Thailand...just come for short time, spend money and go...making less problems than westeners dreams to come in Thailand, pretending to live here in westener way at asian prices. Life is easy, it's problematic visit or stay longer in Thailand? Just skip to another country, world is big enough 

This is not true on Chiang Mai they are flogging off condos like crazy to Chinese. Do they tell the Chinese ten years later you will not be let in the country like me for coming too many times? Doubt it. China is the new economic master, and they will do a rorting on Thailand much worse than the west ever could. Thais have a deep inferiority complex in regards to Farangs for obvious reason. Chinese can still be looked down upon as most are comparitevely backward and uncouth. Spitting in the street and shouting noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Date Masamune said:

This is not true on Chiang Mai they are flogging off condos like crazy to Chinese. Do they tell the Chinese ten years later you will not be let in the country like me for coming too many times? Doubt it. China is the new economic master, and they will do a rorting on Thailand much worse than the west ever could. Thais have a deep inferiority complex in regards to Farangs for obvious reason. Chinese can still be looked down upon as most are comparitevely backward and uncouth. Spitting in the street and shouting noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the chinese are buying because they are being told there is a big demand for people renting their condos (bs) and they are then given a percent guarantee for a few years that they stupidly think will continue thereafter most have no desire to live here unless they can work illegally and make more money

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

I think it's fair to say that those Chinese who try to stay here long-term on VOAs and/or tourist visa face the same issues like other long-term tourists.

Personally, I think Thailand's strategy to focus on first time and short-term tourists is understandable, but short-sighted. It will probably backfire when the next major downturn hits Thailand - no matter if it's due to internal or external factors, having a loyal pool of repeat and long-term visitors has helped mitigate such situations in the past.

I don't believe it is the same as many have contacts here from the chinese thais embedded here as well as the simple fact they don't stand out physically like westerneers so they can more easily blend in...

2 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Stuck in an immigration room overnight is not prison more like a hotel. You pay for it. You can order pizza.
Toilet paper is available. When your deport flight comes if you are business class can you go to the lounge?

Usually at flight time you’re handed over to the custody of the airline, so as long as they are happy for you to wait in the lounge it shouldn’t be a problem.

3 hours ago, Date Masamune said:

Toilet paper is available. ...

It is Being Locked Up like a criminal.  This has never happened to me in a hotel (even the worst ones).  It is not as bad as the IDC or the even worse actual "prisons," but you are Locked Up like a criminal.  Unless you actually are a criminal on the run, or have violated the published laws, then doing this to a person is evil - no way around that.

• Like 1

I agree that if your intentions are to stay in Thailand more than 10 months per year on tourist visas, your best bet would be to take a flight to KL and cross the border by land. 

If you are over 50 , get a 1 year visa instead based on retirement. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Do you actually get your own room? I've heard you have to share with Nigerians and various other nationalities.

From other reports it's a windowless dormitory with many bunk beds and a few cockroaches running around. Plenty of countries have better prison facilities that don't charge you for the pleasure of detention. Here's a couple of first hand accounts:

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2019 at 5:12 PM, elviajero said:

Immigration will want to send you back to Seoul, but they can let you book a flight elsewhere. You won’t know until you’re denied.

I would say that if you already have a ticket to KL and are denied entry there’s a high chance they’d let you use it. You’d be held in detention or handed over to the custody of the airline until flying out.

It's a scaring experience experience,going through all this.

19 hours ago, balo said:

I agree that if your intentions are to stay in Thailand more than 10 months per year on tourist visas, your best bet would be to take a flight to KL and cross the border by land. 

If you are over 50 , get a 1 year visa instead based on retirement. 

A none immigrant category o multi entrance With a one year validity  use .Don't ask for a one year Visa multi entrance as their is such a visa but you will need 800000B or equivalent money to obtain this. A single or the above its advisable as this is the visa you must enter the Kingdom with it you are thinking about retiring here. To enter the kingdoms with the above visa you will need to show at the boarder 20,000 B or equivalent money .At this stage a Thai Bank Acc is not required. But with a multi entrance the maximum time period of stay is 90 days. And you can depart and return as many times as you want . No re-entrance Visa is required.

Edited by Percy P
Correction
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 12:04 PM, Ctkong said:

Anyway, he went up to the lady IO, the IO scrutinized his passport and then press on a red light switch on top of the booth. Some other IO came running and led the guy away probably to the office for more grilling. 

Never use the line with a lady IO, they are much worse

Just fly to Laos or Malaysia and come in via land border, or possibly Chiang Mai airport

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this thread as I am back from East Asia. I got my visa at South Korea and it was super easy, quick and efficient. Many Thais are there but still was less than 15 mins processing and came back in 2 days to pickup. No hassles.

Then I came to the dreaded DMK airport and I had tons of TV and 3 Visa on Arrival. 

I showed up my tourist visa + page and my picture passport page.

I was scared as there was a small line and I saw a few people get pulled to the side. 

Ultimately he let me through and I was super happy!!

So thank you for all your help but next time its border entry for sure!

• Like 2