Does drinking...

StreetCowboy

The UCI banned alcohol during races back in the 60s because they thought it might be a stimulant.  It's certainly an incentive, and whenever we stop for a drink mid-ride, it's a lot harder to get back on the bikes afterwards.  I don't know how long the Tour de France would take if we had to wait for "just one more, and we'll be off..."

I was a little over ambitious with one of my routes early last year when my legs weren’t up to much so after about 40 miles I called my wife and asked her to meet me at a pub where they serve Orchard Haze. No problem, I ordered 2 pints, one for me and one for her. Being quite thirsty I drank mine quite quickly and when she arrived she declined the offer of sweet cloudy cider so I drank that too.
My god did I feel ill for the next couple of hours [emoji85][emoji85][emoji85]

Rehydration clearly doesn’t work with cider. Lesson learned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down your way the cider is mainly brewed as tractor fuel, and most people drink pink diesel, to avoid the excise duty.  Are you not from round those parts?

We're lucky that we get Strongbow, or alternatively Apple Fox from the Sungai Way brewery "inspired by the cider makers of New Zealand", whatever that might mean. I've never fallen off my bike in a Charlie Chaplin fashion after drinking cider only, though I have been so sorely afflicted with thirst that I had to stop on the way for a beer until I felt it safer to walk the bike home

I’m not exactly in the West Country but yes the proper “scrumpy” makers aren’t too far away.
I stopped at a farm cider shop last year and the farmer said “I’ve got sweet dry and a gassy option, 5%, 6% and 7.5%”

I said I’ll have a gallon of each
IMG_3522.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 12:58 AM, MrTrip said:

I’m not exactly in the West Country but yes the proper “scrumpy” makers aren’t too far away.
I stopped at a farm cider shop last year and the farmer said “I’ve got sweet dry and a gassy option, 5%, 6% and 7.5%”

I said I’ll have a gallon of each
IMG_3522.jpg

Do you drink it straight from the plastic container, or decant it into a basin?

Archived