Concerned In Run Up To New Rules

IWas just in and looked at the website to MFA.

Regarding the different visa’s and qualifications. Is this new or old regulations?

Why I ask is because I can’t see anything about persons married and support a Thai citizen on that page, or the regulations for that category. Only the regulations for persons above 50 Years of age.

BTW. I went through it fast so can be I did not see it, or have they already left us out!

"Maybe I have got a visa I don’t deserve"! :o

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MFA is in charge of visas, which you obtain outside of Thailand for entry. The Immigration Department is in charge of determine your length of stay and extensions of them.

Regulations on support extensions are the business of Immigration so not found on MFA web site.

The retirement visa class OA can be provided by MFA Consulates so you do find the information for long stay.

For marriage you come under the category O for other and the listed requirement is on the MFA site as

Certifcate of Marriage or its equivalents ("O")

Extension of stay is when 'support' is required and that is an Immigration matter so not listed on MFA web site.

Your visa is good (I believe). :o

Does anyone know what the position is for Non Imm O''s outside of Asia. For example the States. Would it still be possible to get one with the necessary paper work?

Yes, possible at the smaller Thai consulates in US (Houston), UK (Hull, Birmingham) and Australia (Brisbane, Adelaide). Just to name a few.

Dr. P.P....is Chicago considered one of the smaller consulates in the states? Would I be doing better to apply there than Houston or does it make any difference?

Thanks!

Can I renew a single entry every three months? Can I show my wifes bank account for the 1 year extension? I tried to open an account for myself but was told I required a work permit. I have a company in UK so I do not work in Thailand. Maybe have to think about taking the family to the UK as it is getting very difficult to meet all the requirements, especially the Thai bank account riddle. Previously I obtained the non-im 'O' multiple entry. Actually can't understand the whole thing, if you have a Thai wife and children should it matter that you have so much money? I certainly feel for those who do not as, if they can not show those kind of sums, then they probably can't afford to fly the family back to thier home country. Is it really reasonable to expect familys to separate due to financial issues? I think not! I know many people whose earnings from abroad are lower than the required yet they support thier family all the same. I love my wife and child very much so I am greatly saddened that the Thai government feels it can place a monetary value on that.

Hi BaDboD.

I cannot understand why guys have probs opening a savings bank a/c!

I , and others have posted many times that you can gat an account in

20 minutes in farang areas such as soi 33, Kasikorn bank and Bangkok bank underneath Emporium.

YOU DO NOT NEED A WORK PERMIT TO OPEN A SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

and if you ask the lady nicely, you will get a Debit card and an ATM card for a small annual fee.

Where are you, Bullamakanka? 5 miles past the black stump? :o

YOU DO NOT NEED A WORK PERMIT TO OPEN A SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

:o

"Savings Account" is the one a foreigner can open without WP at most banks.

some banks have different rules about fixed deposit and checking/current accounts though.

opalhort

some banks have different rules about fixed deposit and checking/current accounts though.

opalhort

A fixed account requires a tax ID number to open I believe. Checking accounts are tightly controlled due to misuse and most Thai don't even have them. Would you want to accept a check from me? :o

With the passbook savings account most things can be done that a checking account would allow. ATM/Debit cards can be issued. Direct debit can be arranged. ATM/internet/phone payment options are open to many merchants.

I was asked for a work permit when opening a savings account at a Thai Farmer Bank in BKK, I told them no, that it wasn't required and showed them my ATM card from the Thai Farmers in Pattaya, and after they talked among themselves it was all OK. If I had just gone away they would have saved themselves some work... I think that was the discussion.... he's not leaving, why doesn't he leave?

I was stopped from "changing" my telephone # from AIS (through a telewhiz outlet) because they wanted a work permit, even though I obtained my # with no W/P, no problem. Just a lot of confusion. A friend told me that whenever he was told he needed a work permit for something (except working), the paper you get from immigration, don't know the name of it , but the same thing you get for the drivers license, will suffice. That requires showing your passport and current lease, and that should be free, although some immigration offices charge 500B.

good luck,

THX ill try another 5 or 6 banks then. I have been told I can but the banks say I can't,, I do state my case clearly and reasonably each time but they blank refuse. I generally wear shirt and tie also. Any answers to my other questions anyone? If I can use my wifes then no problem or can I renew every three months without hassle etc. One other question is that I have family company in UK and was thinking of applying for a business visa,, what form of documentation do I need?

I was asked for a work permit when opening a savings account at a Thai Farmer Bank in BKK, I told them no, that it wasn't required and showed them my ATM card from the Thai Farmers in Pattaya, and after they talked among themselves it was all OK. If I had just gone away they would have saved themselves some work... I think that was the discussion.... he's not leaving, why doesn't he leave?

Thai Farmers Bank are a load of W------rs.

Go to Krung Thai Bank and they will open your account ina few minutes,

and issue an ATM card - 100 baht.

For 300 baht you can have a gold ATM card with daily limit of 50,000 baht and life insurance as well.

Currently staying in Bangkok,, I ask these questions here as I thought someone might know,, every time I ask at immigration I get a different answer, if I get an answer that makes sense at all that is.. Would still like to know what paperwork is required if I am coming to Thailand ¨on business¨

Would still like to know what paperwork is required if I am coming to Thailand ¨on business¨

To tell you the truth, it depends on where you apply for the visa and oftentimes, where you are from (i.e. your nationality). The documentation requirements could be as little as a letter from your company explaining your business purpose in Thailand to as much as the laundry list of paperwork detailed on the MFA website.

I was thinking of taking a letter from company and applying in penang or maybe Cambodea. I have always found Penang to be the most helpfull so probably prefer that. Failing that I will go for the non-imm O multientry if they have started to issue them again. Do I need to show any bank details for the O,, I saw it mentioned but previously never had to show any.

I was thinking of taking a letter from company and applying in penang or maybe Cambodea.

I myself have never applied for a 'B' visa in Penang so I have no direct experience of this, but from previous posts I have been given the impression that Penang would want to see more than just a letter from your company to issue a 'B'.

Do I need to show any bank details for the O,

They just wanted to see my savings book at the BNE (Brisbane) consulate when I applied for the multi entry type O last year.

My guess is most consulates are the same. No one asked me any questions. :o

In and out in 20 minutes, just like short time :D

Go to Krung Thai Bank and they will open your account ina few minutes,

and issue an ATM card - 100 baht.

For 300 baht you can have a gold ATM card with daily limit of 50,000 baht and life insurance as well.

Hi Astral,

which branch did that for you.

I just wish I could get an itemised statement of my debit card purchases from Kasikorn :o