Thai Pm To Reshuffle Cabinet Next Week

george

Thai PM to reshuffle Cabinet next week

BANGKOK: -- One day after the abrupt departure of Thailand's finance minister, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont announced that he will reshuffle his five-month-old interim Cabinet within the next few days.

"I need two or three days to ponder how to reshuffle the cabinet," the prime minister said on Thursday, "Deputy Prime Minister and Industry Minister Kosit Panpiemras has been assigned to oversee economic policy before the new finance minister is named."

It was the prime minister's first reaction, coming the day after deputy prime minister and finance minister Pridiyathorn Devakula announced his resignation, effective Thursday, citing his displeasure with the earlier appointment of former top Thaksin aide to a government position and his colleague's apparent favouritism towards a certain media.

While not naming the minister, it was understood that he meant Prime Minister's Office minister Thirapat Serirangsan who could be viewed as favouring high-profile Thaksin-critic Sondhi Limthongkul and his Manager Media Group, which has recently been given access to state-owned media.

Mr. Thirapat refused to comment on the matter.

Mr. Pridiyathorn's resignation was seen by some critics as dealing a heavy blow to the shaky status of a government now struggling to cope with an array of pressing issues.

A recent opinion poll shows the popularity of the interim government continuing to decline, after only five months in power following the September 19 military coup toppling the elected government of prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The poll, conducted by Ramkamhaeng University's Poll Centre of 2,389 people nationwide February 27-28, found that the popularity of the current government has dropped in all categories.

Tackling the continuing violence in the insurgency-ravaged far south received lowest marks among others -- including the building of national reconciliation and efforts to upgrade public safety following the New Year's Eve bombings in the capital and neighbouring Nonthaburi province which killed three people and injured about 40 others, including nine foreigners.

--TNA 2007-03-01

It seems that there are a lot of reshuffles of cabinets here. I can't remember how many times I heard about Thaksin reshuffling his cabinet. Is this normal for governments with Prime Ministers? I'm American and am only familiar with the US political system. Therefore, I would just like to know if this is a normal thing that happens with other governments with a similar political structure.

Perhaps they'll reshuffle their mia noi's also. All kidding aside, Thailand desperately needs a leader like Bill Clinton. Bill kept abreast of the issues and could think on his feet. He was an innovator, and when a serious issue came up, he would confer with the best and brightest people around him to find solutions.

Are all pigs fed, watered and ready to fly?...