Dengue fever: Fears of epidemic as four times as many cases reported in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, KarlS said:

Your ignorance is appalling -- There is treatment for heamorragic dengue. The Thai treatment protocol also accords with that recommended by the WHO. 

Your blind faith in the medical profession is questionable to some of us, as is referencing WHO, yet you feel qualified to refer to people's "ignorance".

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CGW said:

Your blind faith in the medical profession is questionable to some of us, as is referencing WHO, yet you feel qualified to refer to people's "ignorance".

Mmm -- I suggest you give the medical profession a miss - Take all your medical problems to Mystic Meg the herbalist who has "cures" for everything from Apoplexy to fractured Zygoma's 

2 minutes ago, KarlS said:

Mmm -- I suggest you give the medical profession a miss - Take all your medical problems to Mystic Meg the herbalist who has "cures for everything from Apoplexy to fractured Zygoma's 

To be honest I wasn't asking for your opinion or input - not interested - but thanks anyway ???? 

16 minutes ago, KarlS said:

There is treatment for heamorragic dengue. 

Which is what happens in 1% of the cases and as in the quote before, 'If you start to feel worse in the first 24 hours after your fever goes down, you should get to a hospital immediately to be checked for complications.'. Many have just mild symptoms and won't bother doing anything about it. I might well have had it too as I did get a very mild fever at the same time. 

I guess you go to a doctor every time you hit your toe on a table leg?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever#Signs_and_symptoms

Typically, people infected with dengue virus are asymptomatic (80%) or have only mild symptoms such as an uncomplicated fever.[13][19][20] Others have more severe illness (5%), and in a small proportion it is life-threatening.[13][20] 

Prevention is better than cure. I've just had a month in Thailand with not one mosquito bite (and believe me they do like the taste of me generally!) I've taken to wearing long trousers and long sleeve shirts if out after 4pm, and using repellent on any exposed areas. This strategy has been working for me for years now.. very seldom get bitten these days. 

2 minutes ago, foxboy said:

Prevention is better than cure. I've just had a month in Thailand with not one mosquito bite (and believe me they do like the taste of me generally!) I've taken to wearing long trousers and long sleeve shirts if out after 4pm, and using repellent on any exposed areas. This strategy has been working for me for years now.. very seldom get bitten these days. 

Good sound advice

3 hours ago, UASCB500BIKER said:

Whats the treatment??

Dengue fever is usually a self-limited illness. There is no specific antiviral treatment currently available for dengue fever. The World Health Organization (WHO) has provided a number of free publications about dengue.

Supportive care with analgesics, fluid replacement, and bed rest is usually sufficient. Acetaminophen may be used to treat fever and relieve other symptoms. Aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), and corticosteroids should be avoided. Management of severe dengue requires careful attention to fluid management and proactive treatment of hemorrhage.

Single-dose methylprednisolone showed no mortality benefit in the treatment of dengue shock syndrome in a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. [69] The Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD) in Singapore is carrying out research to find inhibitors of dengue viral target proteins to reduce the viral load during active infection. [70]

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/215840-treatment

I had dengue last year..

Once it was confirmed I had 5 nights in hospital with temperature & BP taken every 2 hours, and blood samples for platelet monitoring every 8 hours.

Apart from that, treatment was minimal.  IV Drip with general antibiotic to prevent a 2ndry infections.  Paracetamol to control temperature, along with lots to cool showers & bed-baths, and lots of water to drink to keep the kidneys well flushed. 

If I get it again I would recognize the symptoms, and probably avoid hospital unless it worsened, although I would probably get a daily blood count as a check.

7 minutes ago, foxboy said:

I seem to have adapted to them, I used to come up in a welt that lasted for at least a day and sometimes several but now there is nothing, just the initial irritation when they are biting but no visible mark left behind and no itchiness.

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

I seem to have adapted to them, I used to come up in a welt that lasted for at least a day and sometimes several but now there is nothing, just the initial irritation when they are biting but no visible mark left behind and no itchiness.

I still get the welts and itchiness, but I imagine that Thais are also how you described yourself now. It must be something that you acquire over time as the impact becomes less pronounced. I shall look forward to those days in the future ????

41 minutes ago, KarlS said:
47 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

You go if you start experiencing bleeds or feeling unstable. They can't do anything for you anyway since there is no treatment.

Your ignorance is appalling -- There is treatment for heamorragic dengue. The Thai treatment protocol also accords with that recommended by the WHO. 

bleeding problem is a complication seen in some cases and they can try to treat as such but it is true there is not yet a specific treatment that targets the virus causing it.  see post #40

is my ignorance appalling too?

4 minutes ago, foxboy said:

I still get the welts and itchiness, but I imagine that Thais are also how you described yourself now. It must be something that you acquire over time as the impact becomes less pronounced. I shall look forward to those days in the future ????

after 40 years in the tropics I am still waiting to not notice & not be bothered by mossies, it helps if you are Not type O blood group as I am!

"Blood type – Depending on the type of blood you have, you secrete different scents. Studies have shown that mosquitoes are most attracted to Type O blood and least attracted to Type A"

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

after 40 years in the tropics I am still waiting to not notice & not be bothered by mossies, it helps if you are Not type O blood group as I am!

"Blood type – Depending on the type of blood you have, you secrete different scents. Studies have shown that mosquitoes are most attracted to Type O blood and least attracted to Type A"

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of the differences in blood type scents. I'm B+ so I'm not sure where that leaves me ????

19 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Which is what happens in 1% of the cases and as in the quote before, 'If you start to feel worse in the first 24 hours after your fever goes down, you should get to a hospital immediately to be checked for complications.'. Many have just mild symptoms and won't bother doing anything about it. I might well have had it too as I did get a very mild fever at the same time. 

I guess you go to a doctor every time you hit your toe on a table leg?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever#Signs_and_symptoms

Its less than 0.5% of dengue infections which result in hemorrhagic fever, however in these cases of severe dengue if left untreated there is a 50% mortality rate.  In a hot and humid climate it is particularly difficult for the body to manage temperature and so a fever in this season is particularly dangerous.  Also worth considering is the fact that dengue hemorrhagic fever is race specific, personally, I am Caucasian and so have no genetic protection and my chances of a dengue infection turning severe is above the global average of 0.5%.

7 minutes ago, CGW said:

Studies have shown that mosquitoes are most attracted to Type O blood and least attracted to Type A"

Must be something else too. Wife is O and I'm AB and they all come for me even if she's standing right next to me. I think it's the alcohol content in my blood they are after.

9 minutes ago, atyclb said:

bleeding problem is a complication seen in some cases and they can try to treat as such but it is true there is not yet a specific treatment that targets the virus causing it.  see post #40

The claim made that I responded to was nonsense. There is a well-established protocol for treating haemorrhagic dengue. The protocol is successfully used in all dengue-affected countries and it does reduce the death rate. 

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Must be something else too. Wife is O and I'm AB and they all come for me even if she's standing right next to me. I think it's the alcohol content in my blood they are after.

Double whammy for me! Type O and I drink beer, they love both ???? 

21 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

A mate of mine is the mozzie man in Darwin, Australia.

He tells me that when a mozzie or sandflie bites, a small portion of their “saliva” is passed into you, and this is what your body is reacting to.

Over time you develop antibodies and have a reduced reaction.

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

It also helps not to have smelly feet, you'll often find them in your shoes.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

It also helps not to have smelly feet, you'll often find them in your shoes.

There is one cheese ?? that you should not eat as mossies like the smell when your skin secretes it - why - it smells like sweaty feet, as you state they like em :shock1:

13 minutes ago, KarlS said:
30 minutes ago, atyclb said:

The claim made that I responded to was nonsense. There is a well-established protocol for treating haemorrhagic dengue. The protocol is successfully used in all dengue-affected countries and it does reduce the death rate. 

the hemorrhagic component, if any, is considered "comorbid problem" and its treatment is not a specific treatment for the underlying cause or primary disease, which is a virus. 

supportive care and treating possible comorbid problems is the protocol.

10 minutes ago, atyclb said:

the hemorrhagic component, if any, is considered "comorbid problem" and its treatment is not a specific treatment for the underlying cause or primary disease, which is a virus. 

supportive care and treating possible comorbid problems is the protocol.

Who said anything about treating the virus infection? It most certainly it was not me so why did you address your response to me? 

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

My wife had it last year. The Thai doctors in BKK Hospital took blood tests every few days and that was it for their "expertise".

And that's about all that CAN be done.  It's up to one's own immune system.  I've had dengue twice.  The second time was hemorrhagic.  I was so sick I would have unhesitatingly accepted death just for the relief.

51 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

At least they only get one bite in before they pass out

5 hours ago, car720 said:

I had it years ago in Indonesia.  The closest thing to death that I have experienced.  Thank God.

Yep, me too.. I literally felt like a 95-year-old at the peak of breakbone syndrome, looking out hospital veranda the sky was 'breathing' ever so slightly...crazy stuff and you don't get any immunity in fact, you can get it worse the next time.

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

use deet, don't wait for others to protect you...

You can't use DEET every day for long periods of time, it's toxic to the central nervous system. Only sporadic use is ok. 

Archived