Recently Married, New Last Name, New Passport?

My Thai wife and I were married around 3 months ago and she has taken my surname however she has not yet obtained a new passport with her new surname. We will be applying for a tourist visa to the United States next month and were curious if anyone here has any recommendations on if she should obtain a new passport or if she should just use her old passport.

Or is it even wise to tell them that we were recently married?

Thanks for any ideas.

My Thai wife and I were married around 3 months ago and she has taken my surname however she has not yet obtained a new passport with her new surname. We will be applying for a tourist visa to the United States next month and were curious if anyone here has any recommendations on if she should obtain a new passport or if she should just use her old passport.

There is no requirement for a wife to take the family name of her husband in Thailand but as she has already changed her ID card then it would make sense to change everything.

A new Thai passport is only B1000+ and done in 3 days.

You will probably have to tell the embassy you are married when you apply for the visa to add weight to your application. If they will issue the visa with documents in two names linked with the marriage certificate I'm sure you could travel on her existing passport. Perhaps give the embassy a call and ask.

Thanks for any ideas.

You'll have to say "yes" on the marriage Q, believe it's on the application.

My wife didn't change her name when we got married, still uses her old name on her passport, no problem.

The important thing is to establish that YOU will be returning to Thailand.  If you can do that to the ConOff's satisfaction, the assumption is then that your wife will also return.

There's a string of comments on this issue at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=106987&hl=

Mac

Just take a certified copy of marriage certificate into passport office. There is a place for them to endorse with her new last name on page 2 or 3. Should be overnight.

My wife did it in Los Angeles without any problems.

Edited by old wanderer

The passport she will use to travel on must match her current name/ last name she is using and it must also be the same name on the visa.

First she will need a new ID card with her new last name, done at her local Amphur. No ID card no name change in passport.

Take the new ID card, marriage certificate, Husbands passport, old passport and maybe the Household book (can't remember if it was required) to the passport office in BKK.

You show all these doccuments and then they will change your surname in your old passport.

You will not be given a new passport unless you ask and pay for a new one. They will just put a big stamp in the ammendments page of her old passport saying of her new name.

My wife did this about 2 months ago and they requested all of the above mentioned doccuments, including our marriage cert and my passport!!!!!

Good luck.

Edited by aussiestyle1983