Motorcycle lanes would reduce Bangkok death toll by 82% - engineer

rooster59

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What a stupid idea.

Does he really think all small and big bikes will all drive with the same speed in one lane? 555

Not a stupid idea. This dramatically reduced motorcycle deaths in Malaysia when they brought it in several years ago.

If you have ever ridden in Bangkok, you'll know that you rarely reach the speed (around 105/100 km/h) that the smaller bikes reach their top end.

Educating people is the 1st thing that needs to be done, otherwise motorcycle lane will be just another useless idea since we will see cars driving in motorcycle’s lane and motorcycles in car’s. There is another solution that could save millions of buht, anti “ego” vaccine. 

21 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Educating people is the 1st thing that needs to be done, otherwise motorcycle lane will be just another useless idea since we will see cars driving in motorcycle’s lane and motorcycles in car’s. There is another solution that could save millions of buht, anti “ego” vaccine. 

An anti-ego vaccine, for that fragile Thai male ego. An excellent idea.

What would the vaccine comprise? Valium, sleeping pills, muscle relaxant?

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What a stupid idea.

Does he really think all small and big bikes will all drive with the same speed in one lane? 555

He said motorcycle lanes, just take a car lane and split it into two motorcycle lanes. Divide it from the car lanes with concerete barriers and put a pillar / concrete block at the beginning and end of each part so that cars can't enter, then you don't even need police to enforce it.

Will of course never happen because the people who make the laws want to drive their Benz as comfortable as possible

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Not a stupid idea. This dramatically reduced motorcycle deaths in Malaysia when they brought it in several years ago.

If you have ever ridden in Bangkok, you'll know that you rarely reach the speed (around 105/100 km/h) that the smaller bikes reach their top end.

I ride small and big bikes in Bangkok since many years.

Some riders ride relative slow speed, some a little faster, and some full throttle. And most of them don't have enough distance from each other.

Now bikes and cars overtake each other often on two or three lanes - and that works most of the time.

If you would try to mix slow and fast bikes in just one lane that would be a disaster because of the different speeds and no distance between the bikes.

I visited Malaysia long time ago with a van two times and I noticed that until the Thai border everybody was driving like crazy and in Malaysia everybody was driving pretty civilized. I asked what is going on and they explained to me that the fines in Malaysia are a lot higher than in Thailand - and that's why everybody obeyed the rules.

Maybe, maybe if someone would enforce the rules in Thailand and if they fines were high enough in Thailand then maybe this could work. But I won't hold my breath.

8 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Only if they were barricaded so buses, trucks, taxis and other vehicles could not access them

Within one week there would be five somtam stalls, twenty noodle shops and outside each proper shop, cones to stop non customers stopping there

1 minute ago, CeeGee said:

Within one week there would be five somtam stalls, twenty noodle shops and outside each proper shop, cones to stop non customers stopping there

And obviously the local "authorities" would get paid for somehow not seeing this.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

An anti-ego vaccine, for that fragile Thai male ego. An excellent idea.

What would the vaccine comprise? Valium, sleeping pills, muscle relaxant?

My guess is the vaccine will relax that section of brain which sends signals of “ONLY ME” to decision control section. ????????

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said that the death toll could be reduced by 82% with such lanes.

If the cars and motorcycles of the pissed-up idiots were confiscated and crushed, the death toll could be reduced by 82% within 6 months.  There's no hope for the other 18%; they drive/ride with a death-wish, and don't give a toss who they take with them.

Lanes like the ones in Wang Thong Lang for pedestrians and bicycles tht are used non stop by motorcycles or sidewalks made for pedestrians used by motorcycles. How about the bike lanes put in and full of parked motorcycles and taxis?? i have a noble idea,, why dont rh police enforce the fking law??? No helmet = ticket no License = no bike and ticket under aged and no license = no bike and parents a fat ticket????

(I lived in KL for three years) It worked because the police there enforced the law. Laws or rules do not mean a thing unless they are enforced!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

But don't forget that 86.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

A wise man once said "Statistics prove that statistics prove nothing." - much truth in that statement.

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable.  ~Author Unknown

21 hours ago, smedly said:

and if Bangkok along with every other town/city in the country had had proper planning - all the roads/streets would have been wide enough to support traffic and footpaths

another product of having uneducated people in jobs of responsibility 

and police that do not enforce laws

The trouble being that IF the planning had been properly planned the FOOTPATHS would become an official area for food stalls because the police know there is no money in enforcing laws !

Incredible theory. I love the press releases here from so called experts. 

I drove out just past Don Muaeng yesterday to play golf. On the way there and back we saw twelve bikes driving on the wrong side of the road and one Mercedes driving into the Grand Canal housing complex that decided to go down the wrong side of the road as he / she couldn't be bothered to drive 1 or 2 minutes further for the u - turn.

These experts can think up any ideas they want but nobody here will follow the rules. The roads are completely lawless. 

On 3/16/2019 at 10:46 AM, darksidedog said:

Does he also think that cars, buses, lorries and every other vehicle imaginable will respect those lanes? Or think that motorbikes will stay inside them?

Not that many after all, will even pull over at all for an ambulance, so at rush hour bikes are way less important.

Dedicated lanes would provide some partial relief, but the biggest issue, which the authorities don't seem to want to address, is the total lack of respect and enforcement of road rules. Rules which I might add are there to stop idiots killing each other.

Not a chance those lanes will be respected and when a larger vehicle eases into those lanes they are going to take out a bunch of motorcyclist in one shot. 

Archived