Getting a Work Pernit on A Non-O

I assume you mean having a non-o visa or a one year extension of stay based upon marriage or being the parent of a Thai.

There is no minimum salary requirement for getting a work permit.

To apply for a extension of stay at immigration need to prove a income of at least 40k baht or 400k baht in a Thai bank.

You can use your income from working to meet the 40k baht minimum by showing proof of tax payments.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you mean having a non-o visa or a one year extension of stay based upon marriage or being the parent of a Thai.

To apply for a extension of stay at immigration need to prove a income of at least 40k baht or 400k baht in a Thai bank.

You can use your income from working to meet the 40k baht minimum by showing proof of tax payments.

So could it be 40k a month for 10 or 9 months, or would it need to be 12 months

13 minutes ago, nicelee808 said:

So could it be 40k a month for 10 or 9 months, or would it need to be 12 months

For the first extension you need proof of your income for 2 or 3 months. After that you would need a average income of at least 40k baht per month for a year.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You’re right that there’s no set published minimum. But the labour office can insist on the foreigner being paid a minimum, which does happen.

17 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You’re right that there’s no set published minimum. But the labour office can insist on the foreigner being paid a minimum, which does happen.

Perhaps if working for certain companies. I have not seen any confirmed report of it happening though.

It certainly would not be needed to apply when married to a Thai.

4 minutes ago, Umarosa said:

Are you asking about the mandatory minimum wage requirement to qualify for getting a work permit?  I found this video/transcript to be useful:

https://www.legal.co.th/resources/corporate-and-tax-advisory/thailand-tax-law/mandatory-minimum-wages-foreigners-working-thailand/

There is no "mandatory minimum wage requirement" required for a W/P to be issued.

• 1 month later...

Hi again. just for clarification, I am on an extension to stay based on marriage. I went to immigration in Ubon with a lady from the school, and told them, which will sound confusing as not the correct terminology, but that I want to keep my non O visa but start work, so hopefully understood as extension based on working. they told us to to go to the place for the wp and get permission that it's ok, went there they have said no problem, so the school is now preparing the documentation for the permission or the actual wp, no too sure. There has been no mention of salary requirements and am concerned because. the school are going to pay me 30k for 12 months and job title being educational personnel as I dont get my degree until Jan 2020. what should I do?

Edited by nicelee808

40 minutes ago, nicelee808 said:

Hi again. just for clarification, I am on an extension to stay based on marriage. I went to immigration in Ubon with a lady from the school, and told them, which will sound confusing as not the correct terminology, but that I want to keep my non O visa but start work, so hopefully understood as extension based on working. they told us to to go to the place for the wp and get permission that it's ok, went there they have said no problem, so the school is now preparing the documentation for the permission or the actual wp, no too sure. There has been no mention of salary requirements and am concerned because. the school are going to pay me 30k for 12 months and job title being educational personnel as I dont get my degree until Jan 2020. what should I do?

You will get a work permit from the Department of Employment office.

You will keep your extension of stay based upon marriage until it expires and then you will have to apply for a new one. At that time you will need to have 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht monthly income.

You will not need to go back to immigration until you apply for the new extension or to do your 90 day reports.

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will get a work permit from the Department of Employment office.

You will keep your extension of stay based upon marriage until it expires and then you will have to apply for a new one. At that time you will need to have 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht monthly income.

You will not need to go back to immigration until you apply for the new extension or to do your 90 day reports.

Thanks Joe, my extension expires 28th of May. I dont have 400k in the bank. this will be my first time working so dont have tax receipts, but could ask the school to put 40, 000 on the contract, would that work.

6 minutes ago, nicelee808 said:

Thanks Joe, my extension expires 28th of May. I dont have 400k in the bank. this will be my first time working so dont have tax receipts, but could ask the school to put 40, 000 on the contract, would that work.

You may need to apply for a 60 day extension to delay apply for your one year extension so that you can show tax payments for a couple of months to prove at least a income of at least 40k baht.

If not you could apply for an extension based upon working at a school. There is no minimum income to apply for that extension.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You may need to apply for a 60 day extension to delay apply for your one year extension so that you show tax payments for a couple of months of at least 40k baht income.

If not you could apply for an extension based upon working at a school. There is no minimum income to apply for that extension.

The extension based on working at a school sounds like what I need to do, are there any other requirements to qualify for this extension?

5 minutes ago, nicelee808 said:

The extension based on working at a school sounds like what I need to do, are there any other requirements to qualify for this extension?

There are other documents you will need from the school. They should know what is required or they should contact immigration in Ubon to confirm what is needed. 

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There are other documents you will need from the school. They should know what is required or they should contact immigration in Ubon to confirm what is needed. 

Sounds perfect, and makes sense, because I told immigration that I would be working at a school, and was asking them about the minimum monthly salary (ngen duang dtong bpen tow rai), they said no minimun (mai dai gam not), so fingers crossed thus will work out. thanks Joe. Feel very relieved right now.