A/C unit broken, new Board req'd

shaemus

My AC unit has broken down,

The unit failed to start up and i got the local guys out to have a look, the main board has had a chip short out from a ghecko egg which was layed there. 

I asked the AC guys to order a new board and install it. No response

My called the biggest appliance spares store that i know of in Khon kaen. the guy said that they don't make that board any more and we should get it repaired at Amorn.

the AC unit is only just over a year old. it is a Samsung non inverter type

Has anyone had something similar repaired?

Does any one know an online re-seller that i can order a replacement?

I have attached photos

Thanks in Advance

Shaemus

DSC_0261.JPG

DSC_0279.JPG

DSC_0280.JPG

DSC_0281.JPG

DSC_0282.JPG

Buck converter is 50 Baht or so, PCB needs a bit of cleaning / fixing up but nothing insurmountable.

Looks like they gecko exactly managed to short the Drain and Source pins.

Only issue I see is that during the short the full line voltage was available at the output. That may have fried other stuff downstream.

https://th.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Power-Integrations/LNK306GN?qs=Jph8NoUxIfVBGCEOQTaDXQ%3D%3D

On 3/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, KarlS said:

Call Samsung - 076 -219-871
Probably best to have a Thai speaker assist.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:26 AM, lopburi3 said:

Did you contact Samsung?  They are likely to be the only source for replacement parts.  They don't have parts stores here as in some countries.

thanks guys

I called the local Samsung branch in Khon Kaen. The board was 1400 Bht. I went to Khon kaen to pick up and the service centre was empty, no Que, and they knew to expect us, the whole process took less then 5 mins.

I have fitted the new board and checked the start cap on the head unit to no success. the head unit turns on and then blows air (not cooled) but the outdoor unit doesn't start. the head unit eventually gives up and beeps three times then turns off.

17 minutes ago, shaemus said:

thanks guys

I called the local Samsung branch in Khon Kaen. The board was 1400 Bht. I went to Khon kaen to pick up and the service centre was empty, no Que, and they knew to expect us, the whole process took less then 5 mins.

I have fitted the new board and checked the start cap on the head unit to no success. the head unit turns on and then blows air (not cooled) but the outdoor unit doesn't start. the head unit eventually gives up and beeps three times then turns off.

Good that you got the board.

Maybe ask Samsung if they can recommend a guy who can fix it for you.

Normally the outdoor unit has few connections and not much to check. If you have a millimeter you should be able to check it yourself. You have the circuit plan - see picture above.  Maybe its just a bad connection on or near the circuit board.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Good that you got the board.

Maybe ask Samsung if they can recommend a guy who can fix it for you.

Normally the outdoor unit has few connections and not much to check. If you have a millimeter you should be able to check it yourself. You have the circuit plan - see picture above.  Maybe its just a bad connection on or near the circuit board.

just to update the posters and those reading in the future. A new board was purchased from the local Samsung service centre. i installed the board. same as before, i called out the locals lads to have a look. no idea. called samsung Bangkok who then booked a service engineer to come. he scratch his head for a bit and ended up installing a new fan/motor for the compressor. He said he had never seen this before from a Ghecko egg. .

Thanks all for your help

Shaemus

2 hours ago, shaemus said:

He said he had never seen this before from a Ghecko egg

I had a problem like that on a PC motherboard.

I am pretty sure the problem was a mouse pissing on the top of the PC case which has a lot of holes for ventilation.

Unfortunately the mouse pissed on the connectors or the RAM modules.

Solution: New motherboard - I am not joking.

Archived