Motorbike driver dies, another person injured after car driver slams into them

webfact

Motorbike driver dies, another person injured after car driver slams into them

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

157558.jpg

A female motorbike driver has died while a male car driver has sustained injuries after a second car driver fell asleep at the wheel in Thalang crashing into them.

The incident happened on Srisoonthorn Road in Thalang at 2pm yesterday (Wednesday).

Police and emergency responders arrived to find a damaged motorbike and two damaged cars.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/motorbike-driver-dies-another-person-injured-after-car-driver-slams-into-them

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-21

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Far too many deaths on bikes this week.  And drivers falling asleep at the wheel.

Agreed, it seems really bad at the moment. 

Bad connection, double post, sorry.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

No way you'd ever get me on a motorbike here, living on borrowed time.

5 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, that's what I posted already many times. However there are too many heros in farang community. 

I have been borrowing for over 50 years. Still here

Heros ? Heroes

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I ride here, and have adjusted. But of course nothing can guarantee you from the unexpected or the Thai.

What bewilders me, are Westerners that are so moronic that they put their kids on their scooter or motorbike and take them onto Thai roads. 

Absolute stupidity. 

9 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Maybe the next time you rent a bike will be your last time. On your head stone is engraved "The last Hero".????

If you live here you do not rent a bike we own them. You can get killed setting at a shop drinking coffee. Some guy in the states got up to get a pack of sauce for his food and a car ran thru the door and hit his table lucky him and by the way no Thais involved.

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Far too many deaths on bikes this week.  And drivers falling asleep at the wheel.

Every week, and everywhere. Phuket gets special focus here for obvious reasons, but if we consider about 20,000 deaths per year in Thailand and that most of those (if I remember correctly 70%?) are people on motorbikes, there should be well upward of a hundreds deaths on motorbikes every week in Thailand on average. I assume most don't get reported.

12 minutes ago, moe666 said:
24 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Maybe the next time you rent a bike will be your last time. On your head stone is engraved "The last Hero".????

If you live here you do not rent a bike we own them.

Maybe most own a bike but "canthai55" unfortunately has to rent.... and this since 50 years already. So what? 

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

If you live here you do not rent a bike we own them. You can get killed setting at a shop drinking coffee. Some guy in the states got up to get a pack of sauce for his food and a car ran thru the door and hit his table lucky him and by the way no Thais involved.

Yeah, you can get struck by lightning, but what's more likely, that or being killed on a motorbike in Thailand?

The island actually seems to be very busy with (partly idiot) tourists, specially on rental bikes. Witnessed totally brainless Maghreb people wearing only shorts between Kamala and Patong, chasing each other and others on rented big bikes and borrowed time. These people really look for accidents. And deserve them.

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

So you don't know how to drive - fair enough ... :whistling:

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Yeah, you can get struck by lightning, but what's more likely, that or being killed on a motorbike in Thailand?

The risks are obviously elevated in Thailand...  the safety risks with pretty much everything are elevated in Thailand...

....Walking down the pavement (boiling oil at the street stall, holes in the drains, bikes riding down the pavement etc)...

....Driving cars jumping lights, lorries with brake failure, other vehicles overtaking into you, dunks..

So... of course, riding a motorcycle comes with a degree of elevated risk. Only a fool would suggest that motorcyclists do not place themselves under an elevated degree of risk when riding motorcycle... BUT...  some of the comments on here are a little daft and make the assumption that many 'trained foreigners' ride the same way as 'helmet-less somchai'.... very rarely do you hear of an experienced Foreign rider, wearing protective gear getting caught up in a serious accident or killed, it happens, but not as commonly as some as the comments suggest. 

Motorcycling is inherently dangerous everywhere and more so in Thailand, but so are many things we enjoy...  it just depends on our risk profile, how we evaluate that risk and how we respond, riding intelligently can significantly cut down our risk but it will never go away. 

4 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

I ride here, and have adjusted. But of course nothing can guarantee you from the unexpected or the Thai.

What bewilders me, are Westerners that are so moronic that they put their kids on their scooter or motorbike and take them onto Thai roads. 

Absolute stupidity. 

What bewilders me are the ageing farang who continue to breed well into old age. 

Absolute stupidity. 

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

What bewilders me are the ageing farang who continue to breed well into old age. 

Absolute stupidity. 

Can't say I've ever thought of it. Maybe I will in 20 years time when I'm in my 50's. 

Have you another odd thoughts to share with us? ???? 

On 3/21/2019 at 5:54 PM, Paul Henry said:

Would not think that a car driver would kill someone if they slammed into him. Now the car is another story. So who or what hit the motorbike?

After your comment all I could see was a heavyset guy flying along on roller skates completely out of control.

Archived