Price of goat meat ?

I see you are in Surat Thani, way down south where there are a lot of Muslims that will eat goat meat, where I am is Central Thailand, we have a good few goat farms around here.

Only today the wife was talking to a friend who rears goats, she said 100 baht /kg, which is up from the last time I heard the price 70-80baht/kg, and I would say a lot of meat would end up in Bangkok,

Is it the same price where you are? a different and bigger market than around here, your best and easiest way just ask a fellow goat breeder in your area

2 hours ago, kickstart said:

I see you are in Surat Thani, way down south where there are a lot of Muslims that will eat goat meat, where I am is Central Thailand, we have a good few goat farms around here.

Only today the wife was talking to a friend who rears goats, she said 100 baht /kg, which is up from the last time I heard the price 70-80baht/kg, and I would say a lot of meat would end up in Bangkok,

Is it the same price where you are? a different and bigger market than around here, your best and easiest way just ask a fellow goat breeder in your area

Thanks mate, sorry i didn't update my profile, i live at Korat now

53 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

i always thought there could be more goats in thailand.  The darn critters are pretty hardy and can thrive almost anywhere and in general don't need much maintenance as sheep or some other animals do

Tasty little buggers too, although Id have trouble popping one between the eyes, they are kind of cute.

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Tasty little buggers too, although Id have trouble popping one between the eyes, they are kind of cute.

yeah, my friend had one they raised as a dog literally.  The darn thing would hop into your lap if you sat down.  I had to care for it and check up on it daily for a few weeks while he was away on vacation.  Had some great goat when in Jamaica

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

i always thought there could be more goats in thailand.  The darn critters are pretty hardy and can thrive almost anywhere and in general don't need much maintenance as sheep or some other animals do

They can thrive almost anywhere, but they do not like being wet, rainy season can cause problems, clostridial disease,  worms can be a problem, that is why most goat sheds, are built on leg up in he air, to keep the goats dry. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/23/2019 at 10:41 AM, kickstart said:

They can thrive almost anywhere, but they do not like being wet, rainy season can cause problems, clostridial disease,  worms can be a problem, that is why most goat sheds, are built on leg up in he air, to keep the goats dry. 

can goats live on a concrete flooring if put straw or rice husk down as a bedding

20 hours ago, sateuk said:

can goats live on a concrete flooring if put straw or rice husk down as a bedding

You could use straw on concrete ,but it will have to be changed regular as it soon will get dirty and you will get a disease build up ,all right for a few animals ,but say more than 20 ?you could have problems ,and  who will get the job of cleaning the shed on a regular basics' 

And you will have to  a regular supple of rice straw ,now it is about 30-35 baht/bale ,with this years drought I think that price will be maintained ,normally it drops to 23-25 baht/bale  just after rice harvest .

Using rice husk not a good idea ,it will just turn to a wet sludge ,with the resulting problems, and not easy to clean .

Making a raised shed in the long run could work out cheaper ,a simple shed using the small concrete post with a tenon and eucalyptus poles and tin sheets ,one shed near me used all second hand timber and tin sheets .

I used rice hulls on concrete in my pig sty without any issues. I would be thinking a hoop barn which would give you tractor access at each end. Use the blade to scrape the bedding out. A "climbing" stack of straw bales would give them something to do other than eat anything you left in there and half the walls. LOL

8 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

I used rice hulls on concrete in my pig sty without any issues. I would be thinking a hoop barn which would give you tractor access at each end. Use the blade to scrape the bedding out. A "climbing" stack of straw bales would give them something to do other than eat anything you left in there and half the walls. LOL

Pigs are a bit different to goats ,they like it dry ,when I was in the UK last week I looked at a outdoor pig farm ,it was hot and the sows had some wallows  to wallow in ,well wet ,and  they where happy as a pig in sh$%.

You could not do that with goat any form mud and you will have big heath issues .

As for using bales ,the big round bales could work ,making steps  to get up ,the big square ones would be better ,they are a lot more  solid that the small bales .

Small bales in Thailand are sold by the bale ,so most are baled lose so you get more bales per rie ,goats would soon make a mess of the small bales.

A long time ago I worked on a farm with cattle we had an idea for extending the winter cattle yard  by using big round bales ,stacked two high ,it did work OK for while we found cattle were eating  they way out and we had to renew the hole lot half way though winter before they all got out ( you could just about  guarantee that would have been about 2 am  ,).

Like cattle I would have thought your goats would eventually eat your climbing stack,or just destroy all the bales.   

Not sure if goats are similar to sheep.

If you make a raised barn and have wooden slats in the floor to allow the <deleted> to fall through,make sure they face the right way.Daylight through the slats will spook the animals.

9 hours ago, kickstart said:

Pigs are a bit different to goats ,they like it dry ,when I was in the UK last week I looked at a outdoor pig farm ,it was hot and the sows had some wallows  to wallow in ,well wet ,and  they where happy as a pig in sh$%.

You could not do that with goat any form mud and you will have big heath issues .

Pigs are organised, only part of a pen is wet (>30%). The rest stays dry. The floor is sloped and has a 1" drop at the low end. 

Archived