Retired American Overstay On Mutiple Entry O-visa

My friend is an American and is 54 years old. He misunderstood the visa he got in the States. He paid $125 for a mulitiple entry visa back in the States and was told that the visa was good for 1 year.

He looked at his passport yesterday and discovered it was only good for 90 days. He will have to pay 20,000 baht fine as he has overstayed 3 months. Yeah, I know, why didn't he look at the visa before.

He went to immigration office in Bangkok to pay 20,000 baht fine but the woman at immigration advised him not to do it there because she would invalidate the current visa and he would only be granted a 7 day visa.

The big question is this.....

When he fly outs of Bangkok to Penang, pays the fine, will he get to keep the non-immgrant visa? He has only used it one time. It is good until October 2007.

If not, what can he do to get another multiple entry visa iwthout flying back to the States?

He does have the funds to apply for retirement visa but I don't think he can do that now with an overstay, right?

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Hmmm, with a small overstay, I would say he'd be fine, no loss of visa, pay the fine, fly out, fly back, get another 90 day stamp :o

I have no idea how immigration at the airport will react to a 3 month overstay. Probably also no problem, anyone got any first hand experience?

Rule number one - do not overstay your entry stamp.

Rule number two - Do check your entry stamp before leaving the immigration desk.

the visa is good "valid" for 1 year if it is a multi entry non O.

but, you can only use it to stay in Thailanf for 90 days at a time.

every 90 days, he must do a border crossing.

after 1 year from the date of issue, you will no longer be able to enter Thailand on that visa, so you need a new visa or a visa exempt entry.

if you do a border crossing the day before the visa expires, you will get another 90 days, making that visa good for a possible 15 months, 90 days at a time of course.

If he meets the requirements for retirement extension of stay all he should need is a single entry visa and then he can extend his stay on a yearly basis without any more mistakes. He might be able to obtain a multi entry in Singapore or KL with proof of bank funds but do not believe Penang will even consider a multi entry these days. Even if he had to obtain a tourist visa he could change in Thailand to permit retirement extension of stay.

But believe this is all immaterial as the reason immigration did not fine/extend was they would have had to cancel his visa - believe that is a good indication that if he shows up at airport/pays his fine and leaves that they will not cancel his current visa and he will be able to return using it for another 90 days stay.

The visa is still valid so he will pay the fine at the airport or landborder once he leave the country .

Upon re-entry he will get his next entry activated and he will be allowed to stay for 90days.

I would suggest that a Land Border is NOT a wise choice for paying a 3 Month Overstay Fine

This sounds like an O-A visa issued in the USA. (He's retired, and the charge for a one-year O-A multiple-entry visa in USA is $125.) If so, his permitted stay should have been one year from date of entry into Thailand, not 90 days. However, if it is an O-A visa, he should have done a 90-day address report, and missing that also carries a penalty.

vagabond: Can you verify the type of visa he has?

This sounds like an O-A visa issued in the USA. (He's retired, and the charge for a one-year O-A multiple-entry visa in USA is $125.) If so, his permitted stay should have been one year from date of entry into Thailand, not 90 days. However, if it is an O-A visa, he should have done a 90-day address report, and missing that also carries a penalty.

vagabond: Can you verify the type of visa he has?

It will be an Non-Imm O. V said his friend discovered that the visa only enabled 90 day stays. That visa also costs $125.

It will be an Non-Imm O. V said his friend discovered that the visa only enabled 90 day stays. That visa also costs $125.

Too bad he didn't get an O-A for the same price. Perhaps he didn't have the savings/income?

I thought the OP was saying that the entry stamp he received was only for 90 days, which would have been in error for O-A, but 10-to-1 you're correct with your understanding, dr.P.

Thanks for your input. He will try his luck flying out. Hopefully, he will pay the fine, be able to keep his multiple entry visa and will get another 90 days when he returns. I will let him know to start the retirement visa when he returns to Bangkok. I think this is the best solution for him.

I will let you know how it turns out next week. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for your input. He will try his luck flying out. Hopefully, he will pay the fine, be able to keep his multiple entry visa and will get another 90 days when he returns. I will let him know to start the retirement visa when he returns to Bangkok. I think this is the best solution for him.

I will let you know how it turns out next week. Thanks again everyone.

Here's what my friend told me...... absolutely no problem leaving bangkok airport. He paid 20 thousand baht and was on his way. Encountered no problems. He stayed in Singapore a few hours and on his return, was granted a new 90 day visa. Again no problems.

I am sure he won't forget next time!

You might want to explain that there is an option to retire here on a yearly basis if he can show 800k in bank, or 65k in pension or a combination of the two; just in case he might like to take advantage of it.

You might want to explain that there is an option to retire here on a yearly basis if he can show 800k in bank, or 65k in pension or a combination of the two; just in case he might like to take advantage of it.

Thanks Lopburi3. Yes, he understands the retirement option and he is considering this option. His orginal plan was to stay here for one year to see if likes Thailand and wants to retire here. Personally, I think he will take the retirement route as he is getting spolied by the good life here, especially the affordability of health care. I don't know your nationality Lopburi but my friend does not have health care and if he falls ill in the United States, he can lose all his savings due to the high cost of medical care there. Another great reason to retire here.

Again, thanks everyone.

Thanks Lopburi3. Yes, he understands the retirement option and he is considering this option. His orginal plan was to stay here for one year to see if likes Thailand and wants to retire here. Personally, I think he will take the retirement route as he is getting spolied by the good life here, especially the affordability of health care. I don't know your nationality Lopburi but my friend does not have health care and if he falls ill in the United States, he can lose all his savings due to the high cost of medical care there. Another great reason to retire here.

Again, thanks everyone.

you can lose all your savings anywhere if you dont have health insurance