Vaccines being readied to avert flu outbreak

webfact

Vaccines being readied to avert flu outbreak

By The Nation

0066fca9f11697cf155532964832aebb.jpeg

File photo

THAI authorities are preparing 7 million flu vaccines for distribution among seven at-risk groups as well as 400,000 doses for medical personnel and people whose jobs expose them to flu as part of measures to control influenza outbreak this year.

The measures were approved by the National Board on Communicable Diseases yesterday.

After presiding over a meeting with the board, Dr Thawat Sunthrajarn, assistant to the public health minister, said the three approved measures included a campaign to raise awareness about flu risk and how to protect against it; vaccinations for target groups; and monitoring the disease and outbreak. 

70b4d94c7cdee41b0098908b8c2874ad.jpeg

File photo

Those most at risk are: women who are four months or more into their pregnancy; children from six months to two years old; patients suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, diabetes and cancer requiring chemotherapy; persons above the age of 65; cerebral palsy patients; those with thalassemia or HIV; and those suffering from obesity (weight of over 100 kilograms and a Body Mass Index of more than 35). 

Also people working as medical personnel, disease investigation officials, poultry-culling workers, laboratory technicians/scientists, as well as medical and public health students also face the risk of flu infections. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30366672

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-28

They're really pushing that stuff lately. Wasn't there was another item about a week ago urging people to get flu shots? In the many years I lived there, I don't recall flu shots ever being mentioned. Did someone screw up and order way too much of it? Flu season here is just ending, so perhaps they've taken our excess stock. There is a new concoction created every season using statistics from previous years, so whatever isn't injected is wasted.  

6 hours ago, Inn Between said:

They're really pushing that stuff lately. Wasn't there was another item about a week ago urging people to get flu shots? In the many years I lived there, I don't recall flu shots ever being mentioned. Did someone screw up and order way too much of it? Flu season here is just ending, so perhaps they've taken our excess stock. There is a new concoction created every season using statistics from previous years, so whatever isn't injected is wasted.  

Huge money for the companies making this stuff.  Had a flu shot about 15 years ago, and got the flu that year.
Haven't had a flu shot since, and haven't had the flu since either. 

Archived