Arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)

ThaiBob

What are typical arrhythmia medications prescribed here in Thailand? Three weeks ago a regular annual check-up revealed arrhythmia after an ECG. I was given Metoprolol which seems to be working but I am not sure what other options are available. I did a stress test which revealed no additional problems. I return next week for another ECG. 

I was diagnosed with this in 2002. There are serious implications related to this condition and a colleague of mine underwent surgery that basically stopped his heart and re-booted it. After 8 years the medication that I was prescribed appeared to be having no effect other of course then providing a steady income for the Thai hospital so hence in 2010 I stopped all medication.   Self checking of the condition since then indicates that in fact it is now only on odd occasions arrhythmia  is indicated. Now prior to ceasing synthetic medication a while ago I did research natural medicines and whilst I am not suggesting those natural remedies, which basically provided a dietary guide,  is a "cure all" , it worked for me. It may not however work for others so hence a doctors guidance should always be sought and informative decisions can thus be made.

17 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

I was diagnosed with this in 2002. There are serious implications related to this condition and a colleague of mine underwent surgery that basically stopped his heart and re-booted it. After 8 years the medication that I was prescribed appeared to be having no effect other of course then providing a steady income for the Thai hospital so hence in 2010 I stopped all medication.   Self checking of the condition since then indicates that in fact it is now only on odd occasions arrhythmia  is indicated. Now prior to ceasing synthetic medication a while ago I did research natural medicines and whilst I am not suggesting those natural remedies, which basically provided a dietary guide,  is a "cure all" , it worked for me. It may not however work for others so hence a doctors guidance should always be sought and informative decisions can thus be made.

Were you expecting the medication to lessen the irregular heartbeat? PS how did your colleague get on with the re-boot?

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Were you expecting the medication to lessen the irregular heartbeat? PS how did your colleague get on with the re-boot?

The re-boot managed to ensure his heartbeat regained normality. However it is 9 years since I last spoke  to him as we lost touch so no idea if he is still ok. As for the dietary changes I undertook it worked for me and very occasionally irregular heartbeat is now detected. I check my self up to 4 times daily and have done so for many years. As I said it may not work for others.

This is cardiology.  Not something to be discussed on an internet board.  Talk to the doctor who examines your ECG!

NB metoprolol, atenolol etc are all the same class of medicine (betablockers)

• Thanks 1

"Arryhtmiaa" simply means an abnormal heart rhythym.  There are many different types and treatment depends on the type, nto only is there no single treatment for all arrythmias but treatment for some types would worsen other types.

So you need to specify what type of arrythmia you have.

Some arrythmias are harmless and do nto require treatment.