Boris Johnson says PM May's Brexit deal is 'dead': Evening Standard newspaper

webfact

Boris Johnson says PM May's Brexit deal is 'dead': Evening Standard newspaper

2019-03-28T112721Z_1_LYNXNPEF2R0RY_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Former British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson leaves the Cabinet Office in London, Britain March 19, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Boris Johnson, who led the campaign to leave the European Union, said Prime Minister Theresa May's twice-defeated Brexit divorce deal is dead, the Evening Standard newspaper said on Thursday.

"Boris: May's deal is dead," the newspaper said on its front page.

The newspaper said Johnson, who fell in behind the deal after May promised to quit if it was passed, had told friends: "It's dead anyway."

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Kate Holton)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-29

48 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Which brings the Brits back to their basic 2 choices: No-deal exit (bye bye Ireland); OR one or other or all of staying in EU/single market/customs union.

For rational people the obvious compromise - perfectly sensible if staying in the EU is too hard - is either single market or customs union (which allows the nationalist symbolism issues to be addressed without wrecking the economy).

Which brings the Brits back to their basic 2 choices: No-deal exit (bye bye Ireland); OR one or other or all of staying in EU/single market/customs union.

The latter not being a single choice and also the topic of the debate, but thanks for your 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The Zombie Deal will be voted on today, without the Political Declaration. Looks like it will be a closer vote than its’ previous two killings but will still be downed by about 20 votes minimum.
What next? Time for the Remainers to accept that they cannot overturn the will of the masses. Leave No Deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Oh, so you think Remainers have something to accept because parliament did not just vote 400 to 160 against leaving with no-deal?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

Please remind me of the referendum result..I'm sure that the LEAVE vote won!!!

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, but that is not what we were talking about, we were talking about having to accept leaving without a deal, something that is almost 100% off the cards, much more likely there will be a second referendum than crashing out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

The Zombie Deal will be voted on today, without the Political Declaration. Looks like it will be a closer vote than its’ previous two killings but will still be downed by about 20 votes minimum.
What next? Time for the Remainers to accept that they cannot overturn the will of the masses. Leave No Deal.

no-deal Brexit before April 1 shortened to 3/1.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

May's deal is dead...

If she could get ALL her MP's through the Aye lobby then Labour shure can sure make all their MP's use the Noe lobby.

She is short of 7 votes, but there again I am sure the defeat will be a lot bigger.

The Speaker has said she can not bring it back for another vote if it is defeated today.

So what next, out on the 12th no deal? the only other options decide on another and ask the EU for more time which will involve us staying in the EU a lot longer and participating in in the European elections, or just call it  a day and revoking Article 50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The current Withdrawal Act is the law, which trumps your ‘not leaving without a deal’. It does not require any kind of deal.
A second referendum is still less likely than you hope, but hey hoe another referendum and blast right through the Remainer plot, without the bad deal.

The current Withdrawal Act has not been ratified, the transition first has to be approved by both houses first, at present it isn't making it past the first house, but there are some hours left, perhaps you'll get lucky, but there is nothing to indicate that luck could result in a no-deal and that has been voted against so heavily, the only thing coming close is to remain in the customs union.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Why not call it a day and Leave on the 12th No Deal? Much easier all round and nothing to revoke.

If you think we are interested in easy options then obviously revoke and remain would be a lot easier than trying to negotiate a brand new trade deal with our largest exisiting trade partners.

56 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Still can’t believe that more than half of the UK population were taken in by Farage who is nothing more than one of those annoying bigoted nationalist gits you’d find boring the pants off everyone in the lounge bar of a suburban mock Tudor pub.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Spoonies...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

I'm still trying to find a leaver who can explain how Britain will benefit from leaving? So far I just got replies like "we want our own rule, do our own trade deals, fishing etc." Days of the Empire are over, British fishing industry will not go back to a guy with a boat, how many deals has Fox organised: Liechtenstein, Israel, may be Cuba, and 4 other countries of no great consequence. What is going to change as EU rules were integrated into British regulations  trade rules etc? These are there to stay otherwise you can't trade with the outside world.

This presently ongoing Brexit circus is not going to convince the world that Britain will be a reliable trading partner. 

Btw I'm not a Brit and I'm not an EU fanatic but ppl should look at reality. Why did Rees Mogg move his company out of Britain and to an EU country?

Which was it (ancestral migration); Colluden? Potatoes? or a one way trip via the Old Bailey?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Given that she will almost certainly be defeated today, I think we need to look at the indicative vote options again.

How MPs voted

For Against Defeated by
Confirmatory referendum 268 295 27
Customs union 264 272 8
Labour's Brexit plan 237 307 70
Common Market 2.0 188 283 95
Revoking Article 50 to avoid no deal 184 293 109
No-deal exit on 12 April 160 400 240
Malthouse Plan B 139 422 283
EFTA and EEA membership 65 377 312

One thing that was said by many Tory MP's they only voted against...

So if you take in to account the fact that many abstainers may well vote in favor of a number of options my prediction is Mondays Indicative debate/vote may well see Ken Clarks Customs Union option and maybe the Common Market 2.0 put to a referendum, with Revoke.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So he is saying what he said months ago and we all know. The deal is dead. Maybe TM and the EU should realise it also but both their arrogance seems won't allow it.

It's not about arrogance but stupidity and ignorance of British politics 

• Like 2