Best deal flights... trouble..

Bkkbound

2 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Why would anyone book with them anyway?

No sign of ABTA/ATOL/IATA....nothing. No excuse for giving money to such a shoddy operation.

https://www.bestdeal.flights/

Indeed, they had been running legitimately for a couple of years and gotten themselves a good reputation, but it’s all unravelled. Some very distraught families being caught out at Heathrow wanting to travel for Easter/songkran, we fly out tonight but booked direct with Thai.. 

Running legitimately? I don't think so. Looks like Great Thai restaurant used to be there..

Google Street Map location

Still not convinced? Let's look at their other address...in a residential apartment; 174 Bradstowe House

In this case, it seems the buyers just bypassed every possible safety net open to them.

Ignorance is bliss until the poop hits the fan.

• Like 1

Just now, JamJar said:

Running legitimately? I don't think so. Looks like Great Thai restaurant used to be there..

Google Street Map location

Still not convinced? Let's look at their other address...in a residential apartment; 174 Bradstowe House

In this case, it seems the buyers just bypassed every possible safety net open to them.

Ignorance is bliss until the poop hits the fan.

I agree, but they were issuing valid tickets up until a few days ago, I would never use such a site.. my wife in on the phone right now to friends affected.. the friend saw her booking via thai airways site a few weeks ago and thought all was well...

Just now, Lacessit said:

It mystifies me why anyone uses an agent when just about every airline has their own booking portals online.

Agents don't work for nothing. Someone has to pay for their services.

Because the ticket price is lesser. Such a simple thing shouldn't be beating you.

Nothing wrong with saving money if the ticketing conditions suit. But check for ABTA/ATOL/IATA at the very least, before you commit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkkbound said:

I agree, but they were issuing valid tickets up until a few days ago, I would never use such a site.. my wife in on the phone right now to friends affected.. the friend saw her booking via thai airways site a few weeks ago and thought all was well...

Nope. They probably have no licence to sell tickets in the UK. No different from you going on to the Thai website, booking the ticket for them and collecting the money....and then refunding it to your account. Oh wait...that is what they did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamJar said:

Because the ticket price is lesser. Such a simple thing shouldn't be beating you.

Nothing wrong with saving money if the ticketing conditions suit. But check for ABTA/ATOL/IATA at the very least, before you commit.

Ticket price is lesser? Not in my experience of about 12 years ago, which was the last time I used an agent. I got stiffed an extra $400.

The only risk with a ticket bought from an airline is if the airline folds. As this thread is showing, there are multiple risks with agents.

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Ticket price is lesser? Not in my experience of about 12 years ago, which was the last time I used an agent. I got stiffed an extra $400.

The only risk with a ticket bought from an airline is if the airline folds. As this thread is showing, there are multiple risks with agents.

So we should take your single experience from twelve years ago(which you haven't even bothered to describe), as the benchmark as to whether anyone should use a travel agency?? ????

Just about everyone who uses agents, on this forum, buys them because the initial ticket price is cheaper than the airline's offering.

If you cannot manage that, then booking direct with the airline is the path you should take.

I have bought direct with an airline(Qatar) and they stiffed me for a lot more. So don't let a bitter episode from your past stop you from making intelligent decisions.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JamJar said:

So we should take your single experience from twelve years ago(which you haven't even bothered to describe), as the benchmark as to whether anyone should use a travel agency?? ????

Just about everyone who uses agents, on this forum, buys them because the initial ticket price is cheaper than the airline's offering.

If you cannot manage that, then booking direct with the airline is the path you should take.

I have bought direct with an airline(Qatar) and they stiffed me for a lot more. So don't let a bitter episode from your past stop you from making intelligent decisions.

It's not rocket science. I am flexible in my travel times, so I can look for when the airlines are discounting seats. If you got stiffed by Qatar, it was because you didn't research your alternatives thoroughly enough.

Why should I waste my time describing in detail my experience to an unsympathetic audience? The OP is talking about a travel agent that went bust. I think it's reasonably intelligent to think travel agents go out of business more often than airlines do.

It's not rocket science. I am flexible in my travel times, so I can look for when the airlines are discounting seats. If you got stiffed by Qatar, it was because you didn't research your alternatives thoroughly enough.
Why should I waste my time describing in detail my experience to an unsympathetic audience? The OP is talking about a travel agent that went bust. I think it's reasonably intelligent to think travel agents go out of business more often than airlines do.

I do the research via a search engine and then will ignore the travel agents and go direct to the airlines website.
Always had the same or better deal. Far prefer dealing with the airline only. That’s my experience anyway.

7 hours ago, Johnnyy said:

I do the research via a search engine and then will ignore the travel agents and go direct to the airlines website.
Always had the same or better deal.

No lol only on three occasions ever did the airlines own site offer a better deal. 3 times out of 169 occasions and thats it

1 hour ago, Johnnyy said:

I must of been lucky on the 170 times I’ve gone direct.

Fair play indeed. Havent come across anyone ever who has landed London Bangkok more times than me at 169 and rising

Edited by Chivas

1 hour ago, Johnnyy said:

I must of been lucky on the 170 times I’ve gone direct.

Yes...to the point of disbelief....perhaps your market is different. This thread concerns the UK and Europe. OTA is almost always cheaper.

If they weren't, there wouldn't be any OTA.

• Like 1

Yes...to the point of disbelief....perhaps your market is different. This thread concerns the UK and Europe. OTA is almost always cheaper.
If they weren't, there wouldn't be any OTA.

My market is from London and I am referring to Business tickets only mind. Just wait for the airline site sales and fill your boots.

7 minutes ago, Johnnyy said:

My market is from London and I am referring to Business tickets only mind. Just wait for the airline site sales and fill your boots.

Sorry but your experience is not representative of booking in either Business or Economy.

I know, as searching out flight deals is my thing. OTA is almost always cheaper.

Many who have grabbed the Gulf Air £1k Business Class deals will attest to that. Nowhere to be found if booked directly, sale or no sale.

• Thanks 1

Sorry but your experience is not representative of booking in either Business or Economy.
I know, as searching out flight deals is my thing. OTA is almost always cheaper.
Many who have grabbed the Gulf Air £1k Business Class deals will attest to that. Nowhere to be found if booked directly, sale or no sale.

Ok. fair enough though GF wouldn’t interest me to be honest. Have had great deals with BR, BA and non-direct with AY.

As I said previously, always look online first then go direct.

I got BR for just under £1800 travelling last November in their sale. I didn’t see it cheaper anywhere else at the time.

8 minutes ago, Johnnyy said:

Ok. fair enough though GF wouldn’t interest me to be honest. Have had great deals with BR, BA and non-direct with AY.

As I said previously, always look online first then go direct.

I got BR for just under £1800 travelling last November in their sale. I didn’t see it cheaper anywhere else at the time.

Exactly why your views aren't representative. But regardless, OTA will nearly always be cheaper. That doesn't mean that I am recommending one should choose an OTA over booking direct.