Where to escape for the smoke season

THAIJAMES

Cabo. Worth it for the beer and Margueritas alone. It is a little dangerous and not my favorite spot actually. There is a town called Todos Santos north of Cabo that is a little slice of heaven, hardly deserves to be discussed here but sometimes a diamond gets posted. 

37 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Me too with Rarotonga being a particular favourite..........relaxing but boring and if you like pristine sandy beaches you won't find any better IMO.

Atutaki! The clearest most beautiful water ever seen in my life.  Giant clams the size of humans and the grilled flying fish.

back then if you flew Air New Zealand from the US to Australia or New Zealand you could stop at Hawaii, Fiji the Cook islands and Tahiti for free both directions. And your ticket would be good for one year. Plus you could change dates anytime you wanted for free.

8 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Air Asia

DMK Bangkok - DPS Denpassar RT 

Head farther east - Reverse seasons from mainland SEAsia. Rainy season is coming to an end in Indo. 

Cheers

Similar to the South Pacific the rainy season ends about the same time that the rainy season starts here which means that the pollution here will have died down.

16 hours ago, chingmai331 said:

Yachats Oregon.  About 3000 miles from the nearest air pollution. And decent fishing, some kayaking, hiking, maybe road biking, yoga at home, chopping your own firewood, feeding the goats...at ease with the world.  And breathing easy.

Lousy Cops

3 hours ago, direction BANGKOK said:

Cabo. Worth it for the beer and Margueritas alone. It is a little dangerous and not my favorite spot actually. There is a town called Todos Santos north of Cabo that is a little slice of heaven, hardly deserves to be discussed here but sometimes a diamond gets posted. 

Cabo , So commercialized , yuk, PV , instead 

11 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:
11 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Air Asia

DMK Bangkok - DPS Denpassar RT 

Head farther east - Reverse seasons from mainland SEAsia. Rainy season is coming to an end in Indo. 

Cheers

Similar to the South Pacific the rainy season ends about the same time that the rainy season starts here which means that the pollution here will have died down.

You must be a comedian.

Economy: The Air asia to Indo is a cheap flight and cheap living if you accept it on its own terms

You will note the March & April flights are packed with Kone Thai. They have no problem with Bali in the Rainy season. Great tiome to be there. However I head farther, east nusa tenggara, Malukus and or Sulawesi, all of which have different micro climates.

If you are really botherd by the rains why would you live in Thailand as that gives you 3 good months in a year. ???? 

9 hours ago, Ireland32 said:
  On 4/1/2019 at 4:28 AM, chingmai331 said:

Yachats Oregon.

Every two or three years I go back to the Northwest during the hot season. I can't think of a better place for weeks on end of clouds and rain. And of course for Yachats, that nice invigorating breeze off the water in spring. I believe they call that a shrinkage inducing blow   :biggrin:  It makes the rains in the trpoics a veritable paradise. Besides spending time in Rain City and Hipsterville on the Columbia, I visit friends who live outside Albany. Bring the gore tex and gloves.

7 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

However I head farther, east nusa tenggara, Malukus and or Sulawesi, all of which have different micro climates.

If you are really botherd by the rains why would you live in Thailand as that gives you 3 good months in a year. ???? 

Sulawesi sounds good I have good memories there.

I like the rainny season.

I see this as an opportunity to experience new different climates and different cultures from Thailand. Might as well enjoy the vacation and not just strictly try to get away from the smoke.

Ideally it should be during the time of year when the climate is best for that location.

10 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

Ideally it should be during the time of year when the climate is best for that location.

well yes BUT  NO

It's to get away from the hot season. That flight/route BTW started a decade back, Air Asia gave promos on it, initialy, they stopped that fast. The reason, Thai peaple were packing  the flight between March and May. They want to get out of the hot and the haze/smoke. It's been a very popular flight for 7 years or more. I go about every other year, I have never had anything but fantastic weather.

Here is your freebie - this might be the best time to visit south Maluku Islands and a couple of the Lessor Sunda Islands. I am only here this year because meeting up with family in euroland at the end of this month. Oh and this will be my first Songkhran since 06. If you have done three or more, then yes you are permitted to miss them.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Here is your freebie - this might be the best time to visit south Maluku Islands 

Can you elaborate about the south maluku islands and their charms.

I've been to timor-leste for work a few times and didn't like it.

1 hour ago, THAIJAMES said:

I wonder how high you have to go up to escape the smoke. Kathmandu has the same problem like chiangmai.

Kathmandu is a dump these days with disgusting water supply and traffic congestion. Pokhara isn't much better after years of expansion.

2 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Kathmandu is a dump these days with disgusting water supply and traffic congestion. Pokhara isn't much better after years of expansion.

I remember that's how it was 35 years ago ????

I remember when doing the Annapurna circuit there were no toilets. Just toilet paper at the entrance and exit of each village. The dogs would eat everything right away. ????

5 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

I remember that's how it was 35 years ago ????

I remember when doing the Annapurna circuit there were no toilets. Just toilet paper at the entrance and exit of each village. The dogs would eat everything right away. ????

Done the circuit myself 35 years back and loved every step, well the downward ones, but Thamel these days is a mess but no doubt one of those places that if you didn't see it back then there still may be some appeal today.

I have skipped town quite a bit lately having only spent December and January at home in Chiang Mai. Las Vegas has had some very nice weather in the last 6 months. I was here in October and November and now in March and April. The lows are in the 60s F and the highs in the 70s F. Starting to hit 80s F now. I have been alternating between here the SF Bay area when not in Chiang Mai. It's been nice and cool in Silicon Valley. I'm thinking of delaying my return to Chiang Mai until mid May.

Grin

Archived