Government inefficiency

Saladin

I recall seeing a movie in which the main character made the comment to his drinking mate, "My father always taught me that anyone who can't be bribed can't be trusted". There's some truth to that. Bribery is endemic throughout Thailand and so much money that should be used for the benefit of the people goes instead into the pockets of people in authority. That is bad enough but it strikes me that, what is worse is that these people don't have any incentive to perform their jobs efficiently. They are seemingly not answerable to anybody. They are making a good living from payola, so why work? I accept that bribery is part of the way of life in SE Asia and isn't going to be eliminated anytime soon but let us hope that the newly elected politicians will tackle the problem of indolence and complacency in government departments and hold the bosses accountable. 

CLOSED

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.