Visa Expired 4th April – Overstay/Immigration Tomorrow for 60 day Non-O extension?

Hi hopefully someone can give me some advice on my situation. I was getting my visa documents ready for going to Savannakhet tomorrow night for a Multiple Non-O based on marriage when, to my horror  my visa expired on the 4th, not the 14th as I had down in my calendar.

Not wanting to chance getting stopped travelling as sometimes police check buses/vans, I now plan to go to Immigration tomorrow with the wife and apply for a 60 day extension, then go to Savannakhet next month.

I see this as the most sensible/only option available to me and I take it I’ll have to pay 2500 Thb fine plus extension fee.

Any advice on this? Is this the correct way of going about this?

Slightly worried.

52 minutes ago, NornIron said:

I see this as the most sensible/only option available to me and I take it I’ll have to pay 2500 Thb fine plus extension fee.

I would say it’s the sensible option.

• Like 1

All the advice that I have read here and elsewhere is that if you have overstayed your visa, don't go anywhere near immigration and risk arrest and detention.  Leave the country by air asap and pay the fine at the airport. That is what others have advised. . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Myself and 2 others 2 weeks ago were not allowed to leave the border crossing with Poi Pet. We had overstays...mine was 10 or so days. The others not sure. Not saying this happens everywhere...but they told us we had to go to don mueang to leave Thailand. I have never heard of it before. I have heard the Aran/Poi Pet is the worst. Just forwarding what happened to me 2 weeks ago. I would say give yourself 2 days extra incase they turn you around...doubt it will happen...but this happened to me, same as the two others in that line. Funny...none of the cambodians in the overstay line were told to go back through don mueang airport.

7 minutes ago, Bdn6768 said:

Myself and 2 others 2 weeks ago were not allowed to leave the border crossing with Poi Pet. We had overstays...mine was 10 or so days. The others not sure. Not saying this happens everywhere...but they told us we had to go to don mueang to leave Thailand. I have never heard of it before. I have heard the Aran/Poi Pet is the worst. Just forwarding what happened to me 2 weeks ago. I would say give yourself 2 days extra incase they turn you around...doubt it will happen...but this happened to me, same as the two others in that line. Funny...none of the cambodians in the overstay line were told to go back through don mueang airport.

It’s always best to leave by air if you have a long overstay as land border crossings can/do sometimes not let you out. What constitutes a long overstay is anyone’s guess.

1 hour ago, Bdn6768 said:

Thai immigration at Poipet/Aran is a law unto itself. Avoiding that crossing is always advisable, but especially if you have any kind of overstay. Other land crossings are OK with short overstays (say, less then a week) but paying the overstay at your local immigration office tends also to be OK under those circumstances. With a 10-day overstay, I would suggest leaving by air, returning by land (with a visa if possible) but, of course, not at Poipet.

10 hours ago, Bdn6768 said:

they told us we had to go to don mueang to leave Thailand.

They tell people they have to go to DM to enter Thailand, sometimes, too.  First - never, ever go there.  Second - the next thing for anyone with issues at Poipet/Aran to try, is the Ban Laem crossing to the South, where the law is followed. 

That said, "10 or so days" is getting a bit long.  Generally, if you would not try paying at the immigration-office for fear of arrest, you should go straight to the airport and pay the fine there on your way out.

10 hours ago, Bdn6768 said:

Funny...none of the cambodians in the overstay line were told to go back through don mueang airport.

They are also exempt from the "2x land crossing" limit.  If it is like in my country, they get a break because wealthy Thais want them here as replacements for Thai workers, since they work cheaper (those working illegally, also w/o any rights). 

You'd think this would lead to riots, but - in my country, the steam-valve that keeps the "unemployed by policy" from rioting are handouts; here it is the family-farm.

Ask Ubonjoe he’ll know for sure!!!  But I don’t think they’re going to give you a 60 day extension if you’re a 4 day overstay of course I could be wrong but I don’t know.  I’m pretty sure they won’t give you a 60 extension but you really should ask Ubonjoe first like right now because the clock is ticking.  

So far it’s only 4 days so you shouldn’t be in too much trouble yet but I think you need to leave the country immediately and then get a new visa and then come back.  

BUT PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN SAKE ASK UBONJOE!!!  He’s more than an expert on this stuff and he knows more than anyone on this forum about these things.  I’ve been here for 5 years and I still ask him for advice on things I’m still learning little things and I’ve been here for almost 5 years now.  In fact he just gave me one little piece of advice today that’s gonna save me a lot of money.  For example I had been doing my monthly wire transfers in Thai Baht and having my United States Bank do the currency conversion before sending it to my Thai bank account every month but I asked Ubonjoe about my screwy exchange rate today and I found out that I’ve been losing a lot of money by doing my transfers that way.  I learned just from that little piece of advice to do my transfers in USD and when my Thai bank converts the money to Baht I’ll get a MUCH BETTER EXCHANGE RATE!  I really felt dumb just now learning that.  I know all the immigration stuff now mostly but it’s the little things that you learn with time and experience.  

Ubonjoe has been giving me advice for years and trust me HE IS ALMOST NEVER WRONG!  He gives good advice that’s literally worth money to visa agents for free and he’s more than willing to do it.  I fully trust Ubonjoe for advice on stuff like this.  

So trust me send Ubonjoe a PM and ask him.  But I think you should leave the country as soon as possible and get a new visa at the Thai Consulate maybe in Savannakhét or wherever and then return to Thailand.  AND IN THE FUTURE MAKE SURE THAT YOU APPLY FOR YOUR EXTENSION BEFORE YOUR VISA OR CURRENT EXTENSION EXPIRES!!!!!  VERY VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE LIVING HERE!  I always renew mine at least 30 days early BEFORE it expires.  

But I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU ASK Ubonjoe about this!  Because I’ve never been in your situation before and he knows a million times more about this than I do.  

Please talk to Ubonjoe and then act upon this with a good plan ASAP!!!!!!!  I am trying to help and that’s your best bet but you must act very quickly!!!!!  

1 hour ago, Jim7777 said:

Ask Ubonjoe he’ll know for sure!!!  But I don’t think they’re going to give you a 60 day extension if you’re a 4 day overstay of course I could be wrong but I don’t know.  I’m pretty sure they won’t give you a 60 extension but you really should ask Ubonjoe first like right now because the clock is ticking.  

So far it’s only 4 days so you shouldn’t be in too much trouble yet but I think you need to leave the country immediately and then get a new visa and then come back.  

BUT PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN SAKE ASK UBONJOE!!!  He’s more than an expert on this stuff and he knows more than anyone on this forum about these things.  I’ve been here for 5 years and I still ask him for advice on things I’m still learning little things and I’ve been here for almost 5 years now.  In fact he just gave me one little piece of advice today that’s gonna save me a lot of money.  For example I had been doing my monthly wire transfers in Thai Baht and having my United States Bank do the currency conversion before sending it to my Thai bank account every month but I asked Ubonjoe about my screwy exchange rate today and I found out that I’ve been losing a lot of money by doing my transfers that way.  I learned just from that little piece of advice to do my transfers in USD and when my Thai bank converts the money to Baht I’ll get a MUCH BETTER EXCHANGE RATE!  I really felt dumb just now learning that.  I know all the immigration stuff now mostly but it’s the little things that you learn with time and experience.  

Ubonjoe has been giving me advice for years and trust me HE IS ALMOST NEVER WRONG!  He gives good advice that’s literally worth money to visa agents for free and he’s more than willing to do it.  I fully trust Ubonjoe for advice on stuff like this.  

So trust me send Ubonjoe a PM and ask him.  But I think you should leave the country as soon as possible and get a new visa at the Thai Consulate maybe in Savannakhét or wherever and then return to Thailand.  AND IN THE FUTURE MAKE SURE THAT YOU APPLY FOR YOUR EXTENSION BEFORE YOUR VISA OR CURRENT EXTENSION EXPIRES!!!!!  VERY VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE LIVING HERE!  I always renew mine at least 30 days early BEFORE it expires.  

But I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU ASK Ubonjoe about this!  Because I’ve never been in your situation before and he knows a million times more about this than I do.  

Please talk to Ubonjoe and then act upon this with a good plan ASAP!!!!!!!  I am trying to help and that’s your best bet but you must act very quickly!!!!!  

When I tried to get my US bank to send the money in dollars they said, If they are not ready for dollars they won't accept the money at your Thai bank.

Is this true?

I applied for my visa extension yesterday at Bangkok and you didn’t miss much.

i arrived at 8am and already there was a queue of over a hundred people.

i got my interview at 3.30pm waiting in the queue and I got my passport handed back at 4.24pm

i then had to wait in my car an hour to get from the building car park to the main road due to traffic

thete were still over 100 people waiting in the immigration extension based on family when I left 

it was disgusting how it was handled so you didn’t miss much. Just goto don muang airport and leave.

4 hours ago, NightSky said:

I applied for my visa extension yesterday at Bangkok and you didn’t miss much.

I assume you did not bother to read this post by the OP.

12 hours ago, NornIron said:

Thanks for the replies/advice. All sorted. Payed my overstay fine. Got my extension. Not even a stern look. Long day though....

On 4/9/2019 at 8:45 AM, JackThompson said:

They tell people they have to go to DM to enter Thailand, sometimes, too.

Some of these rural people don't know about the 'new' (12 year old)  airport yet!

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Some of these rural people don't know about the 'new' (12 year old)  airport yet!

Ha!  The quote to me, even though I would be returning with a TR-Visa was, "You must fly in."  I entered via Ban Laem a week or so later w/o issue.