Dog in pain, no vet open so I tried Turmeric / cummerin

Just for those who are interested in natural medicine here are my experiences. Since a few days my dog was in pain old dog could not walk good. The vet was closed for songkran so it was a bit bad for the dog. Every time he tried to stand up he cried, sometimes more then other times. I read on the internet that you can't give dogs ibuprofen or asperin so I had no alternative. 

Because I use a tumeric extract myself for general health and fish oil too. I decided to hide it in some tuna and give it to the dog. The effect is great. Dog is now walking a lot better (after 2 days) and not crying all the time. I had read that turmeric / cummerin were almost as good as ibuprofen. This proved it for me.

I use the supplement for myself for general health it has added black pepper to make absorption better.  So a few days of fish oil capsules and Turmeric did the trick. I am quite happy. 

5 minutes ago, faraday said:

How much Turmeric did you give him every day?

Glad he's feeling better.

????

I got 500 mg capsules (tummeric with black pepper), gave him one in the morning and one in the evening. Did give him a fish oil too. All of it is supposed to be anti inflammatory. 

Yes I am also happy that he is walking better again. I really thought he was a goner. It was really sad to see him trying to get up crying. Broke my heart because I could not do anything.

I see a lot of improvement, will keep giving him the tablets for a while (as long as I can hide them in the food). I did not expect it to work good. He actually forced the lock on the steps this morning to come to my room. (before we let him sleep there but steps are not that good for dogs). So his mobility is improving.

Can make it yourself if don't want to give capsules. Just cook the turmeric powder in some water and mix in grounded black pepper and coconut oil - ends up turning into a paste which you just put in the fridge. The pepper helps the dog fully take in all the properties. Just type in Golden Paste turmeric and it will have the recipe and dosage for dogs. 

Used to give it to my dog daily when he was in pain. Has been off all kinds of pain killers (whether conventional or natural) for 3 months now. 

Archived