Two ILR questions

Apologies for the laziness, but I know the first question will be answered immediately, so it's much quicker than going looking.

1. My wife entered the UK on 5th July 2014 so we'll soon need to start the final application for ILR. When can I start, is it 1 month before this date?

2. I lost my job a few weeks ago. How serious is this regarding meeting the financial criteria? Her residency card expires November so do I have to delay the application until I'm working again, or will the fact that I earned more then double the requirement in the previous financial year have any bearing? In my line of work at my level, it's typically taken me 3 months to find my next job, I can't assume my 2nd interview next week will come to anything, so let's plan for worst case scenario. In June I'll probably have £10k savings left and my wife looks like she earns around £8k per year.

She  can apply when she has lived here for five years.

Your job situation certainly won’t help as you need to show the £18,600 pa salary requirement. Savings won’t help much as you will need to show £62,500 as an alternative to £18,600 salary. If your wife earns £8K pa and can show NIC payments, payslips and her P60 you can combine it with any salary you earn.  

Hi Garry , I understand it to be 28 days befor the 60 month qualifying period is completed , I have seen a few varying answers to when the qualifying period starts .  Some say it’s when the original visa was granted as long as they enter less than 3 months after that date or something along those lines   , but I’m pretty confident you can start on the date of her first entry on her first residency permit and 28 days before that 5 year period is ok . Hopefully some one will clarify this for you too . 

Regarding the job situation I’m not sure at all , I do remember some questions on forms about showing on going employment, hopefully someone with deeper knowledge will help you out there . 

Good luck with with your application I have a feeling we have been in touch before ?

I started filling my wife’s ILR application a few days ago I’m looking for a few pointers to some of the daft questions but I won’t hijack your post here . 

• 2 months later...

On the pretense that we can apply 28 days before she's been in the UK for 5 years - now's the time! We've started the online application and I'm starting to look at what documentation we'll need? So a few new questions:

1. For proof of address and ongoing relationship, do we provide recent documents to show we're both (still) at the same address, or will we need to provide documents in her name over the course of the last 5 years?

2. Does anyone have actual experience of her ability to continue working during the application process if her FLR expires before a decision is made? Section 3C of the Immigration Act 1971 suggests she can continue working, but have heard employers are worried about the £20k fines for employing illegals so some might not let her keep working?

3. The wife has averaged at least £100 a week since she changed jobs in October, so is expected to earn in excess of £5k. I've got myself a 3 month contract until August which will pay £15k, so should we be okay with the financial requirements? I lost my last job in March and didn't land this til the end of May, and from August I don't know if I'll get an extension or when I'll land the next job.

Archived