Fire devastates Notre-Dame Cathedral, centuries-old Parisian landmark

webfact

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:
2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One wonders how this could have happened. A worker tossing a cigarette butt in the direction of a rag soaked in turpentine, or paint thinner? Igniting the entire wood scaffolding? Is something like that possible? It took 200 years to build, and 8 hours to destroy? If so, what would be an appropriate penalty for such an act?

Quite.

How did this horror happen?

Indeed. It survived plague, wars, revolution, the Nazis, etc — but couldn’t survive 2019.

29 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Given the very strict EU h&s laws that sort of senario is almost impossible. But they already decided it was an accident, before any investigation is under way.

Nonsense. An investigation has just started, presuming it was an accident. That is the first prersumption, may change.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, fantom said:

After the Windsor Castle fire £20,000,000 was spent on fire prevention measures, I wonder if there was any fire management measures of any significance at Notre Dame. The thing went up like a bonfire.

Also just why should the populations around the world be asked to chip in for the restoration? After the Windsor fire the Queen stumped up the renovation costs as it was her property. Why doesnt the Catholic church / Vatican assume responsibility for the renovation?

I wonder who put it on fire, i have a guess though.

In that church my wife wanted to light a candle so she grabbed one...i showed her the price of 15-20? euro for it and she put it back.

So why would we need to sponsor for the rebuild? A rich frenchman just offered 100 million euro...they have plenty more of those superrich...yes the vatican can donate, or miss l'oreal....or monaco...or just charge asians the 10-foulded entree fee from now on.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Why assume anything without any evidence?

indeed, on French TV a smoldering spark was mentioned that caught fire after an hour or more. 
Will be quite a challenge to find the spot where the fire started and to draw conclusions.

Edited by KKr

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

I wonder who put it on fire, i have a guess though.

In that church my wife wanted to light a candle so she grabbed one...i showed her the price of 15-20? euro for it and she put it back.

So why would we need to sponsor for the rebuild? A rich frenchman just offered 100 million euro...they have plenty more of those superrich...yes the vatican can donate, or miss l'oreal....or monaco...or just charge asians the 10-foulded entree fee from now on.

In this Cathedral, you are invited light a candle and make a donation of your choice -  even if an amount is suggested, you have no obligation, it's all up to you. Paying nothing would not be a problem, nobody will ask you to pay if you can't.

Notre Dame Cathedral, was a very welcoming place. 

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Opl said:

In this Cathedral, you can light a candle and prey , and make a donation of your choice -  even if an amount is suggested, you have no obligation, it's all up to you. Paying nothing would not be a problem, nobody will ask you to pay if you can't.

Indeed..to see it rising above the Island was always a joy,

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Opl said:

In this Cathedral, you are invited light a candle and make a donation of your choice -  even if an amount is suggested, you have no obligation, it's all up to you. Paying nothing would not be a problem, nobody will ask you to pay if you can't.

Not those bigger candles that you could take to light...they were very expensive.

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Not those bigger candles that you could take to light...they were very expensive.

oh so, I understand what you are talking about..sorry, but anyway the best you can get from a little while Inside Notre Dame Cathedral, is totally free of charge.. I hope you felt it .  

Edited by Opl

Dreadful accident but have you noticed a trend here .... Windsor castle builders go in scaffolding goes up whoomph BIG fire .... Cutty Sark builders go in scaffolding goes up whoomph BIG fire .... then of course we have the Houses of Parliament builders go in scaffolding goes up and we Brexiteers get on our knees ????

I’ve always thought that precious buildings like Notre Dame should have their own mini fire station. Even two firefighters and some equipment just might be enough to put out a small fire or prevent it from turning into an inferno long enough to allow backup to arrive. Surrounding buildings would also be ensured of a quick response and not have to wait for large fire engines to make their way through the traffic.

The heavy traffic in Bangkok delayed firefighters trying to get to the blaze at CentralWorld. Surely a mini fire station based around there would have been a good investment.

The reconstruction of Notre Dame could cost a few hundred million euros. Just imagine how much that sort of money could help the poor. And they will lose a fortune in loss of income from tourists. No matter how good a job they do it will never be the same. It will be a copy. The original roof, spire, wooden beams and amazing stained glass lost forever. Operating an on the site fire station would have cost a pittance in comparison. Spend money now properly protecting the worlds most precious buildings and save money and heartbreak in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

https://www.ft.com/content/62ac5270-6015-11e9-b285-3acd5d43599e

There is no link to the Vatican. I was saying that instead of a request to go fund me the Vatican could meet the cost easily. 

Donations have been down for years plus if the Vatican fundeded it, it would take funds away from the many charitable works they fund around the world.

https://msn.benevity.org/community/fundraiser/209    ----- MSN site to donate to Notre Dame

5 hours ago, roundtheworld said:

[...] No matter how good a job they do it will never be the same. It will be a copy. The original roof, spire, wooden beams and amazing stained glass lost forever.

The spire was built sometime in the 1800s. I suppose there was some sort of spire before that...

...Anyway, that's what happens. Many cathedrals and so on have burned down in the last 500-1000 years or so. And rebuilt, sometimes from nothing - iow, replaced. 
So, c'est la vie.

15 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Highly suspicious to say the least.  Perhaps an intentional act against Catholicism?

I very much doubt that, if it were then we would be swamped with assorted fanatics frothing at the mouth and claiming divine / biblical guidance for their actions...

Notre Dame Cathedral Art Was Saved With Robots: Paris Fire Chief

"Speaking to reporters, Philippe Demay, deputy chief of the Paris fire brigade said that 100 specially trained firefighters and two specialized robots were dedicated to pinpointing and pulling art out of the building for the nine hours it burned. "

https://www.thedailybeast.com/notre-dame-fire-cathedral-art-was-saved-with-robots-paris-fire-chief-says?ref=home