Multiple re-entry permit - do you have to leave Thailand every 90 days?

The last few years I have been here on one year retirement extensions and I have always used single re-entry permits when leaving (and returning to) Thailand. My next extension is up next week and I know already now that i will be leaving Thailand at least 3 times within the next 12 months. So I was thinking maybe it is better to apply for a multiple re-entry permit (after receiving the 1-year extension) as this would, I assume, save some space in my passport, save time going to immigration only one time instead of 3 to ? times and would maximum cost me 800 baht more (3800 baht compared to 3*1000 baht). However I remember from some years ago when I was here on a 1-year multientry ED visa that I had to leave Thailand every 90 days. At that time this was not a problem, but now I will most likely have a period of more than 90 days in Thailand and I do not want to make a trip out of Thaiand just to satisfy visa rules when I do not have to - so my question is: with a 1-year extension (retirement) and obtaining a multiple re-entry permit do you have to leave Thailand every 90 days? or will you every time you re-enter Thailand get a stamp "admitted until" for the date of your 1-year extension?

A multiple re-entry permit is the same as a single re-entry permit. The only difference is that you can use it a unlimited number of times to enter the country and be stamped in to the date you your extension ends when you use it.

• Like 2

Yes a ME re-entry permit is your best option.

10 minutes ago, JH1967 said:

so my question is: with a 1-year extension (retirement) and obtaining a multiple re-entry permit do you have to leave Thailand every 90 days? or will you every time you re-enter Thailand get a stamp "admitted until" for the date of your 1-year extension?

No you don't need to leave every 90 days. Every time you use the re-entry permit you'll be stamped in for the remainder of your 1 year extension of stay.

17 hours ago, JH1967 said:

with a 1-year extension (retirement) and obtaining a multiple re-entry permit do you have to leave Thailand every 90 days? or will you every time you re-enter Thailand get a stamp "admitted until" for the date of your 1-year extension?

No, stamped in until the date of the extension.

In fact, don't forget to check that each time you enter.

Edited by jacko45k

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A multiple re-entry permit is the same as a single re-entry permit. The only difference is that you can use it a unlimited number of times to enter the country and be stamped in to the date you your extension ends when you use it.

one can leave the country as many times one wants...BUT only within that year.....

On 4/18/2019 at 3:17 PM, JH1967 said:

However I remember from some years ago when I was here on a 1-year multientry ED visa that I had to leave Thailand every 90 days.

That was because of the Visa, not the re-entry permit. I've never heard of a "multi-entry ED Visa". You may have received an ED Visa and a Multi Re-entry permit when you were here years ago.

I get a Multi Re-entry permit every year when I renew my extension, even though I may not have any plans on leaving the country at all (just like to be prepared in case my situation changes). (Thinking about it, over the last 4 years I've left the country just once. Next year though, who knows ?)

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

That was because of the Visa, not the re-entry permit. I've never heard of a "multi-entry ED Visa". You may have received an ED Visa and a Multi Re-entry permit when you were here years ago.

I get a Multi Re-entry permit every year when I renew my extension, even though I may not have any plans on leaving the country at all (just like to be prepared in case my situation changes). (Thinking about it, over the last 4 years I've left the country just once. Next year though, who knows ?)

Save your money and get a re-entry at the airport, 10 minutes.

Do O-A visas issued in home country still come with multiple re-entries for the first year ?  I will be getting one soon from Washington, DC and their website language is a bit murky, suggesting I need to get re-entry permit in Thailand if I want to travel. Normally I would travel freely and not do this until the end of the first year .

22 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

Do O-A visas issued in home country still come with multiple re-entries for the first year ?  I will be getting one soon from Washington, DC and their website language is a bit murky, suggesting I need to get re-entry permit in Thailand if I want to travel. Normally I would travel freely and not do this until the end of the first year .

During the first year from the date it was ISSUED you do not need a Re-entry permit.

if you exit and return just before the visa expires, you'll be given a one year permission to stay that will remain valid beyond the date when the visa expires. During that second year you would have a valid permission to stay, but an expired visa. If you want to exit and return then, you would need a re-entry permit or your permission to stay would be cancelled when you return.

Edited by Suradit69

During the first year from the date it was ISSUED you do not need a Re-entry permit.

if you exit and return just before the visa expires, you'll be given a one year permission to stay that will remain valid beyond the date when the visa expires. During that second year you would have a valid permission to stay, but an expired visa. If you want to exit and return then, you would need a re-entry permit or our permission to stay would be cancelled when you return.

Thanks, then nothing has changed from past practice.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app