WiFi Booster

Nemises

Am looking for any new info on plug-in wifi boosters. Do they work? What price for a decent one? Name of Brand/Model of decent one/s? Who sell them? etc.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Apologies if this has been asked before. (Hard to search thread histories on a phone)

^ Thanks but I rent an apartment with wifi included hence don’t know brand of their router, nor do I want to, as soon moving to another building with wifi included, and again after another 6 months...
Booster is also required for frequent use in hotels when signal is weak.

I have AIS  fibre with the AIs box and Netflix. Around 7 users max and it seems HBO starts to stutter somewhat when everyone is logged in and doing his thing. 4 users are located in the house next door.

Would a wifi booster be of help here or do I need something else???

I have a couple of "extenders" one is permanently installed, cant remember the name of it, also have a portable "Cisco" they both do their job, look on Lazada and see what takes your fancy at the price point you want to be at.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=wifi+booster&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1125719c4KFi4R

Edited by CGW
link!

You can't use a standard "wifi booster" aka "wifi repeater" in an evironment where you don't have access to the router, because you will not be able to pair it.

Unless today there is a device which comes with two wifi chips and allows you to connect with one chip as the client in an existing network and to open a wifi accespoint with the other chip it won't be possible with one device.

So for your situation you need two devices, a router which allows you to connect via wifi in "client mode" and another router or accespoint for your other devices to connect and a cable to connect those two devices

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Would a wifi booster be of help here or do I need something else???

better to connect the AIS box via LAN cable   then  setup a "quality of service" (QOS)

rule in your router so that the AIS box gets priority over everyone else.

9 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You can't use a standard "wifi booster" aka "wifi repeater" in an evironment where you don't have access to the router, because you will not be able to pair it.

Unless today there is a device which comes with two wifi chips and allows you to connect with one chip as the client in an existing network and to open a wifi accespoint with the other chip it won't be possible with one device.

So for your situation you need two devices, a router which allows you to connect via wifi in "client mode" and another router or accespoint for your other devices to connect and a cable to connect those two devices

Hmmm. not sure about that, all you need to do is to buy the wifi booster/repeater go into the settings, choose the SSID and enter the password same as you would on your phone.

• Thanks 1

Is the mprocee

41 minutes ago, johng said:

better to connect the AIS box via LAN cable   then  setup a "quality of service" (QOS)

rule in your router so that the AIS box gets priority over everyone else.

Thanks, would the process of the QOS be written down somewhere or do I have to open settings in the box and look around?

If you already have network access via SSID and password, something like the widely available and cheap TP-LINK TL-WA801ND will repeat your existing connection. As a repeater, it should be located where it can obtain reliable signal from the main router.

https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201903/20190319/1910012077_TL-WA801ND_UG_REV5.0.0.pdf

Edited by Fruit Trader

17 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Is the mprocee

Thanks, would the process of the QOS be written down somewhere or do I have to open settings in the box and look around?

Have a look around in your router settings for QOS   you should also set the router to  give your AIS box a "static" ip address

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

I have been toting ASUS configurable pocket-sized AP's in my traveling kit for a while and there's only one network that I was never able to extend/boost and that was because their 'admin' had deliberately disabled the ability for ad-hoc extensions of the company wi-fi by individuals like me with their own kit. So yes, it should be possible but the OP should be aware that if the apartment owners 'admin' has configured their routers the same as above, it won't work. He will get a wi-fi connection but there will be bugger all on it.

• Like 1

In your browser type in 192.168.0.1... You should get a login page which would show you the brand & model of the router they use in your building - research and see if there is a same brand repeater...

I have a few of these around the house that create a mesh wifi from the main router... They are a but of a pain to setup because you need to get the app and create a login - which is a onetime thing... but once setup. They work great and the whole house has WiFi with same login & password... I also carry one when we travel - They are great in hotels where WiFi is weak... 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/original-xiaomi-wifi-router-repeater-version-2-300-mbps-amplifier-extender-i135681112-s153463870.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.10.3ff742e6ROVaFn&search=1

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 1:31 PM, jackdd said:

Not correct. I recently bought this reasonable inexpensive range extender: https://www.bnn.in.th/network/network/6935364070687

It gives 3 options to connect to the main router.

1. WPS.

2. Log into their website on a computer.

3. Download their App on your smartphone.

As long as you know the network name and the password it's very easy. I used the App and it was logical and quick.

I had a very poor signal and the extender has allowed streaming (without buffering) of live TV/sports on an Android box, laptop and phones.