Government Pulls Plug On Thailand's Only Private Television Station

george

Government pulls plug on Thailand's only private television station

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's military-installed government Tuesday ordered the kingdom's only private television broadcaster, iTV --Independent TV -- to cease operations at midnight on the same day, pending legal counsel regarding the media outlet's indebtedness, ownership and management.

Even as the order was given, Prime Minster Surayud Chulanont apologised to journalists covering the announcements, including iTV reports who wept at the news.

At the heart of the matter is a deadline for paying fines, broadcast fees and interest amounting to some Bt100 billion (US$2.9 billion). The broadcaster does not have the funds, mainly fines, which some critics say have been set at an impossibly high level.

The legal and financial aspects of the broadcaster's case appear to be inescapably intertwined with public -- and governmental -- perception of the station as being part of the Thaksin-Singapore 'deal' of January 2006 which has altered relations between the two countries.

With over 1,000 employees, iTV represents the largest body of independent media and journalists in Thailand and the station's demise, or possible reinstatement and management under government-owned Public Relations Department, does not sit well with the Thai media community at a time when the interim government claims it is trying to restore democracy to a country with a long history of military rule.

Founded in 1992 in the wake of anti-military protests which were not covered on state media, iTV has a heritage of wider-and-deeper coverage of news and controversy than previously existing media, but the station, later came under the control of now ousted premierThaksin Shinawatra.

iTV, part of the former prime minister's family sale of Shin Corp shares to Singapore's Temasek Holdings, has in recent years been more entertainment-oriented, but in December was ordered to broadcast more news and public affairs content.

--TNA 2007-03-06

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Government pulls plug on Thailand's only private television station

At the heart of the matter is a deadline for paying fines, broadcast fees and interest amounting to some Bt100 billion (US$2.9 billion).

The broadcaster does not have the funds, mainly fines, which some critics say have been set at an impossibly high level.

...mainly fines...at an impossibly high level... :o

Can someone enlighten me? Were those fines pre-junta or after ? Why were they given ?

US$ 2.9 Billion in debts in 5 years? -since 1992- :D

Sad day for Thailand.

LaoPo

Thaksin bought ITV, introduced editorial changes and quickly fired a dozen of political reporters who disagreed with "party line" just in time for his first elections in 2000. Later on he illegally changed concession contract of his TV station to turn it into a money making machine - reduced news content and bring on popular game shows.

"Hard working" staff never protested. They all looked forward to growing revenues and stock options windfall.

The party didn't last forever, with Thaksin gone they have to answer for subverting original ITV goals and sitting quiet when their colleagues tried in vain to protest political inteference.

I, personally, have no pity for them whatsoever. They won't lose their jobs anyway, it's just a hiccup, they've made enough money to cover a few days out of work.

Thaksin bought ITV, introduced editorial changes and quickly fired a dozen of political reporters who disagreed with "party line" just in time for his first elections in 2000. Later on he illegally changed concession contract of his TV station to turn it into a money making machine - reduced news content and bring on popular game shows.

"Hard working" staff never protested. They all looked forward to growing revenues and stock options windfall.

The party didn't last forever, with Thaksin gone they have to answer for subverting original ITV goals and sitting quiet when their colleagues tried in vain to protest political inteference.

I, personally, have no pity for them whatsoever. They won't lose their jobs anyway, it's just a hiccup, they've made enough money to cover a few days out of work.

Finally a voice of reason...This is exactly what happened.

Thank you for your insight info.

However I have still a few questions:

1. WHY did iTV get those fines (in debt now for US$2.9 billion in just 5 years....)?

2. was this pre- or post-junta related ? or was this:

3. pre- or post Shins' corp sales to Temasek ?

4. Is Temasek/Singapore now the single- owner of iTV ?

5. Is this just a junta/government step to irritate 'Singapore' ?

6. How can 'Bangkok' get away with closing an apparently very popular TV-station?..assuming Thai people will be frustrated over this, right ? :o

and finally:

7. Was iTV already in such great debt during the period that Shin was the owner of iTV ?

LaoPo

Amusing to watch the ACTORS and ACTRESSES cry about it though. Hope not too many of those homes or cars are financed.

:o

I'm puzzled why you find it amusing that people cry over losing their jobs, whether artists or not ?

Personally I don't see any amusement in that.

The Western world and millions of workers know that, losing their jobs because of the fierce competition from the Far East.

But, I'm sure you know that already.

Please enlighten me.

LaoPo

Thank you for your insight info.

However I have still a few questions:

1. WHY did iTV get those fines (in debt now for US$2.9 billion in just 5 years....)?

100 million baht for every day that the content ratio was changed from 70/30 to 50/50 news/entertainment

2. was this pre- or post-junta related ? or was this: Original court order was just after Thaksin sold the station to Singapore, the order was upheld in the Supreme court in December

3. pre- or post Shins' corp sales to Temasek ? Post Sale to Temasek

4. Is Temasek/Singapore now the single- owner of iTV ? No, Temasek own 41%

5. Is this just a junta/government step to irritate 'Singapore' ? No comment...

6. How can 'Bangkok' get away with closing an apparently very popular TV-station?..assuming Thai people will be frustrated over this, right ? :o itv did deserve better, but from it's conception the various governments seemed to be more concerned with getting their money (44% of all revenue) rather than allowing the company to grow.

and finally:

7. Was iTV already in such great debt during the period that Shin was the owner of iTV ?

In reality the only time that itv didn't suffer losses was the period when the content ratio was altered, as they were able to get far greater advertising revenue.

LaoPo

Amusing to watch the ACTORS and ACTRESSES cry about it though. Hope not too many of those homes or cars are financed.

I'm puzzled why you find it amusing that people cry over losing their jobs, whether artists or not ?

The Western world and millions of workers know that, losing their jobs because of the fierce competition from the Far East.

Please enlighten me.

LaoPo

It's amusing because it's difficult to tell if they are really crying or if they are just ACTING.... especially when actors from other stations are joining in AND CRYING (right when the camera is on them) as well. I've known more than a few folks who have lost their jobs, and some who have lost their businesses, both here and in the US and for the most part have taken it like grown men and women.

:D

Please enlighten me.

LaoPo

It's amusing because it's difficult to tell if they are really crying or if they are just ACTING.... especially when actors from other stations are joining in AND CRYING (right when the camera is on them) as well. I've known more than a few folks who have lost their jobs, and some who have lost their businesses, both here and in the US and for the most part have taken it like grown men and women.

Maybe it's because you're too young yet Heng, and you've never really -had to- suffer yourself in your private and/or business life, otherwise you wouldn't be making such a statement.

Maybe 'your folks' ACTED like grown men and women when they lost their jobs or business....but, were you in the bedroom also at night....?

LaoPo

For illegally breaking concession contract - the fines were specified when they signed it.

2. was this pre- or post-junta related ? or was this:

it was all happened before the coup, the complaint to the PM's Office was filed under Thaksin, he, of course, stalled it and Democrats brought the issue for "no confidence" debate in parlament in 2005, I believe.

3. pre- or post Shins' corp sales to Temasek ?

Temasek SHOULD have known of the pending legal issues. Many thought that there was clause in Shin sale contract that covered Temasek in case things go wrong with ITV.

4. Is Temasek/Singapore now the single- owner of iTV ?

No, ITV is a public company traded on SET.

5. Is this just a junta/government step to irritate 'Singapore' ?

They probably won't pass on the chance to get Singaporeans, but their mostly concerned with punishing ITV and making it into something else.

6. How can 'Bangkok' get away with closing an apparently very popular TV-station?..assuming Thai people will be frustrated over this, right ? :o

They didn't want to close the station, I understand it's only for a couple of days until technical issues are sorted out. Maybe a couple of weeks. Maybe they'll decide to make into some sort of BBC. People will understand, they always do, this is Thailand. Even the usual junta critics have been rather quiet over ITV.

and finally:

No, not at all, they made quite nice profits in later years - after they cut the concession payments and introduced game shows and other enerntainment programs.

LaoPo[/color]

Watching the station right now - I bet EVERY single staff is in their studio right now [at least all their anchors are] talking about

how professional and committed they are.

All it takes is just one big news event/disaster happening right now to show that they care more about themselves.

Fishing for sympathy rather than doing their jobs and sticking to their stations right down to the last minute ....

Not very smart. :o

[

No, not at all, they made quite nice profits in later years - after they cut the concession payments and introduced game shows and other enerntainment programs.

Profits for itv were:

2002 -770.15 million baht

2003 -660.44 million baht

2004 204.56 million baht

2005 679.11 million baht

2006 364.40 million baht

total loss for last 5 years = - 152.15 million baht

The party didn't last forever, with Thaksin gone they have to answer for subverting original ITV goals and sitting quiet when their colleagues tried in vain to protest political inteference.....

I, personally, have no pity for them whatsoever. They won't lose their jobs anyway

the wealthy "faces " of the station may very well be able to find other work , and will swim happily in whatever political currents they find themselves , but i have plenty of sympathy for the backroom staff , and there must be a couple of thousand , on normal wages , for whom a regular and stable income is essential , and who have had no part whatsoever in the machinations behind all this.

Thank you 'Plus' for your very informative post and answers.

Looks simple now:

iTV has enormous debts (due to the fines) and is not able to pay and since it's traded on the SET (what % of total shares???) someone or a company could file for a bankruptcy.

Result: iTV would be for sale....very cheap; maybe a good deal for some wealthy 'friends' of the ones who decided for the closure.... :o

But, I know, TIT....

LaoPo

Please enlighten me.

LaoPo

Maybe it's because you're too young yet Heng, and you've never really -had to- suffer yourself in your private and/or business life, otherwise you wouldn't be making such a statement.

Maybe 'your folks' ACTED like grown men and women when they lost their jobs or business....but, were you in the bedroom also at night....?

LaoPo

Grown men and women don't cry. If they are as good as they think they will easily find another nice job.

post-27080-1173198137.jpg

On February 7, 2001, iTV, a supposedly independent television station owned by Shin Corp, fired 21 newsroom staff. Seven of them were sacked on the grounds that they criticised management for interfering in editorial content in favour of a political party. Another was dismissed for insubordination, while 13 more were laid off allegedly because of organisational restructuring. On March 8, to the great joy of those 21 iTV rebels, the Supreme Court upheld a lower court's ruling ordering the station to reinstate and pay them their salaries dating back to February 2001.

Sacked iTV staff record their fight in a book

post-27080-1173197805.jpg

Pennapa Hongthong and Aekkarat Boonoon , The Nation

Published on Oct 21, 2001

Former rebel staffers of iTV have recorded what they called the overriding of editorial independence by the station's major shareholder - in a book.

Launched last week, "Testimony of the Rebels: Former iTV News Staff," tells of how 23 ex-iTV employees who were sacked earlier this year fought against management interference in the news.

It compiles the writings of all the sacked members, who clearly reported how Shin Corporation, a major shareholder of the station, overrode editorial independence during last year's election campaign.

post-27080-1173196786_thumb.jpg

The station's management dismissed the 23 staffers, including both reporters and producers, in February, citing reasons that ranged from necessary cost-cutting to allegations that some had violated company regulations.

The ex-workers, however, believed they were dismissed because they were protesting against an effort by the management to interfere in news coverage, and their attempts to establish a labour union.

They claimed the management wanted to remove all staffers involved in the fight for an independent news policy after finding that one of them was the wife of a leading protester.

Former news anchor Wisarn Dilokwanit said the 222-page book aims to reveal the truth about interference by administrators and the news staff's struggle against it.

"We don't want to condemn or defame anyone. We want the new generation of media people to learn from our experience and become stronger than us to defend the profession from unjust powers," said Wisarn, who now works as a freelance radio host and a special lecturer at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Communication Arts.

The book disclosed many of the tactics that were used by administrators to interfere with editorial content.

They included the withdrawal of "Sai Trong iTV," a news programme in which the anchorman summarised newspaper reports for the audience. The move came just as news of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's alleged concealment of assets made the headlines of many newspapers.

Thaksin is also the head of Shin Corp.

post-27080-1173197906_thumb.jpg

In another case, the administrators refused to allow editors to cover an election rally held by the Democrat Party, the chief rival of Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai Party, said Wisarn.

Citing yet another example, Cherdchai Makbamrung, another sacked reporter, recalled the time the station allowed its live-broadcast OB van to be used for political purposes by Thai Rak Thai, instead of using it to cover the National Corruption Counter Commission's decision on Thaksin's case.

One female staffer reported in the book she was put on probation for refusing to cover the release of a new album of songs by Thaksin's niece.

A suit filed by the ex-staffers against Shin Corp is still in the labour courts. Members of the group are going about their lives in different ways. Some are furthering their educations, while others have found jobs at other stations.

Some others - Yuwadee Techapaitoon, Kaewta Priswong, Chompoonuth Kongmont and Orapin Lilitvisitwong - became orange-juice vendors at Chatuchak market.

"Pure orange juice without 'interference' from syrup" is their business concept.

All 23 sacked workers agree on one thing - they are not sorry for what they did.

"I won't bow to unjust powers. How can I sleep if I lose my pride in my profession [by allowing the media to serve an unjust power]," Cherdchai wrote in the book.

Please enlighten me.

LaoPo

LaoPo

Nah, I find it amusing because I find it amusing. And I'll likely be all right business and private life wise no matter what happens as you probably well know.

And my folks didn't cry when they retired.

And it's been said... grown folks don't cry, they move on. These folks making a big deal out of all of this on TV are IMO a bunch of drama queens.

Nah, I find it amusing because I find it amusing. And I'll likely be all right business and private life wise no matter what happens as you probably well know.

Enter HUBRIS, stage right, salivating.

Just being realistic.

*weaving about dodging the Cyclops' boulders... but still pausing long enough to be amused by the site of the sinking ships in his fleet that weren't so lucky...*

Edited by Heng

how does closing down of iTV pressure Thaksin or affect him in any way at all?

General Saprang...the very same one that cites outlandish remarks about seizing all assets of the former PM, based on only allegations of corruption? some of you with your hypocrite attitude really amaze me. you complain about thailand applying double pricing, but now seems some of you are condoning double standard.

whatever happened to all that western talk about innocent until proven guilty? I cant confirm or deny whether or not Thaksin is guilty. But I thought it was the western way to use courts, laws, evidence and the such? and if you say Thaksin deserves any different, then it just confirms my view above....you are being hypocrite.

by the way....if you check some of their archive news you will find that a lot of the stories related to Thaksin's mis-doings were uncovered by iTV.

and while on the subject of media freedom......I have questioned some journalist friends who repeated cried out lack of freedom under Thaksin.....yet those same journalists were able to and often did use insulting words against Thaksin and his administration.....no need to even go into the ethics or professionalism of it...but clearly....if he were to perform censorship that wouldnt have been possible. again...the various media were able to freely criticise a lot of his policies, even when it could have been their own prejudice and labelled the policy a populist strategy. an example: the 30baht health care scheme that his administration introduced...constantly criticised by the media, by the Democrats. and then what happened? Democrats campaign manifesto....0 baht health care scheme. perhaps some expert financial advisor/economist here can explain to my simple mind...how charging 30baht per visit will bankrupt the country, but charging 0baht will not?

....the military installed rule had also said they will look at the 0baht scheme.

which political party doesnt practice populist strategy? I guess its a question of who tries the more bold steps and who gets the bigger pie. speaking of which reminds me...in thai politics the cake had always been shared between atleast 3 big players in the past. since 2000.....majority government...one party....cake is no longer shared.

anyhow...i think Im getting sidetracked :o its late :D maybe I should just eat my cheesecake. no sharing this time :D

Edited by MiG16