7 days extension

hello everyone

So my husband is on a work visa and i am a dependent (o visa). 

We are leaving thailand and his employer cancelled the work permit a day earlier than planned and told us only the next day (where normally they both should be cancelled the same day). this resulted in both of us getting a fine for being a day late cancelling the visa (both of our visas, so one fine each), as well as having the 7 day extension start & end earlier than we thought it would. (the 7 days they give you to leave the country)

So now my issue is that the flight home was booked already before all that happened, and it was booked to a day after the 7 day extension ends. 

It's at 6:30 in the morning so actually the overstay would be about 4 hours, not even a day.

The officer at immigration said I can just pay a one day fine. But I am still worried about this.

I know usually such a short overstay isn't an issue. However - since I already had that one fine for cancelling the visa late (there's no overstay stamp however), and also since those 7 days are not a regular extension but are 7 days to leave the country (that period you get when you cancel a visa), would it be more serious? 

Fines are not a problem. I just want to make sure it won't give me problems that are more serious than a fine. Changing the flight or doing a visa run just for these 4 hours would be a huge hassle, but If it needs to be done I'll do it.

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you

An overstay of less than 24 hours when leaving from the Bangkok airports is not a problem.

They don’t charge a fine, and usually stamp the passport indicating the overstay was for less than 24 hours.

2 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Cross immigration way earlier than your flights, and hang round in the departure lounge for 5 or 6 hours.

is that possible?? I would totally do that if it's possible - i thought i can only do immigration after i check in? (check in opens only 3 hours before the flight) 

1 minute ago, heythere7 said:

is that possible?? I would totally do that if it's possible - i thought i can only do immigration after i check in? (check in opens only 3 hours before the flight) 

You have until 23:59 on the date of the visa expiry to depart.  You need to calculate the check in, the 23:59, and the flight.  

4 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

You have until 23:59 on the date of the visa expiry to depart.  You need to calculate the check in, the 23:59, and the flight.  

Yeah I understand - but my flight is at 6:30 (the day after the expiration) 

Since immigration is after the check in, which opens at 3:30 am, it would mean I would still be overstaying by about 3 and a half hours

am I missing something?

thank you so much

Edited by heythere7

7 minutes ago, heythere7 said:

Since immigration is after the check in, which opens at 3:30 am, it would mean I would still be overstaying by about 3 and a half hours

am I missing something?

thank you so much

Some airlines will let you check in earlier, but even if you do go through before midnight it’s been reported in the past that an IO used the flight time and not the time they stamp you out.

As I said, for an overstay of less than 24 hours it’s no problem. They might not even bother stamping your passport.

If I were you, I'd go through Immigration a few hours earlier. Even if they'd ask you to pay a fine, it wouldn't affect you negatively.

Being there earlier will give you enough time to explain the circumstances and Immigration officers aren't monsters.

Sorry, to hear of your misfortune, best of luck! 

15 minutes ago, heythere7 said:

am I missing something?

thank you so much

One of you could "take a red card for team" and do the few hours overstay to check in, whilst the other one passes immigration with carry on luggage.  One over stay is better than two. 

As another member said, it's not a big issue, but an over stay is an over stay, and in the current climate, no over stay is better than any over stay, no matter how small. 

49 minutes ago, Thailand Outcast said:

One of you could "take a red card for team" and do the few hours overstay to check in, whilst the other one passes immigration with carry on luggage.  One over stay is better than two. 

As another member said, it's not a big issue, but an over stay is an over stay, and in the current climate, no over stay is better than any over stay, no matter how small. 

I don't think you can do that.  You need both passports for the check-in.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

I don't think you can do that.  You need both passports for the check-in.

Have you ever heard of "online check in?"  Google it.

It depends where the OP is flying to, and with which airline, but if the OP is flying to a country that offers visa on arrival or visa exemption for many nationalities, there's a fair chance there is no document check.

Having carry on luggage only, there is noting to hand over to check in staff, so no need to go to the counter. 

Go through airport security and immigration, and present your "e ticket" which you have printed up at home, or an internet cafe, or let them scan the bar code or Q Code on your phone, at the gate. 

Immigration don't want to see your departure ticket when you are departing, so they don't know if your flight is in 1 hour, or 8 hours time. 

In the OP's case, if both have carry on only, easy done.  No overstay for either of them.  If there is luggage, one goes through with carry on, no overstay, and the other has to wait until the counter opens to check in the luggage in their name, and will be an overstay.  

8 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

Cross immigration way earlier than your flights, and hang round in the departure lounge for 5 or 6 hours.

I recall I was expecting to get off free with a single day overstay on that basis, but they noticed my flight left after midnight and hit me for 2 days overstay anyhow. It was the old BA010 and only shortly after midnight! 

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I recall I was expecting to get off free with a single day overstay on that basis, but they noticed my flight left after midnight and hit me for 2 days overstay anyhow. It was the old BA010 and only shortly after midnight! 

How did they know your flight time?  I have never been asked to show my boarding pass when departing.  That's not to say it doesn't happen.  We all know how inconsistent immigration are. 

15 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

How did they know your flight time?  I have never been asked to show my boarding pass when departing.  That's not to say it doesn't happen.  We all know how inconsistent immigration are. 

They most certainly want to see the boarding pass/card at immigration. Both on the way out and in. You could be any guy going for a wander around the international area! Anyhow, I was already on 1 day overstay, so that was clear on the entry stamp and would get him looking closely. 

Edited by jacko45k

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They most certainly want to see the boarding pass/card at immigration. Both on the way out and in. You could be any guy going for a wander around the international area! Anyhow, I was already on 1 day overstay, so that was clear on the entry stamp and would get him looking closely. 

I have never has to show my departure flight ticket, at departure.  Maybe just lucky.

How would a guy going for a wander around the departure gates "get back into Thailand?"  Departure and arrival gates are seperated. 

9 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

I have never has to show my departure flight ticket, at departure.  Maybe just lucky.

We were talking about boarding card. Ticket of course not, just passport at check-in. 

9 hours ago, Thailand Outcast said:

How would a guy going for a wander around the departure gates "get back into Thailand?"  Departure and arrival gates are seperated

Well I think stopping them getting in there in the first place is more important. Don't arrival gates become departure gates when an aircraft is turned around?

While you should not make a habit of it, people worry too much about overstaying a few days.  Recently I had to move my departure date due to me and my family being sick.  I ended up overstaying 7 days, including 1 day because I could not get thru immigration until 3:00 AM (could not get boarding pass because airline counter closed).  First time overstaying in 15 years of traveling / living in Thailand.  Paid the fine because it was cheaper than going to Cambodia to do a visa run.  ExpIained why I overstayed and was polite to the IO officer, who said no problem, just pay the fine.  He also did not stamp my passport with overstay.  No problem getting back in a couple of days ago on 30 day stamp to visit my sons on my way back to the US from a business trip.