Koh Samui: German says he paid 800,000 baht to operate his unlicensed villa

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A typical Thai set up for him....get the structure done, his lawyer under a little pressure from big men grasses...the cops of course are the root of the issues...he probably has a Thai wife, she gets approached and pressured and it's game over.

Court takes his property, he loses everything and the bad guys all get a cut.

How many of these stories come out of Phuket is staggering....!

6 hours ago, RobMuir said:

How do you know he upset the local hoteliers? 

How do you know it was the “hoteliers” who “put the boot in” ?

Was the 800,000 divided up between all the local hoteliers? 

Do you have some information regarding the specifics of this case or is that just what you imagined to have happened?

It only costs 16,000 baht to apply for a hotel license legally.

But to get that licenses you have to have parking spaces, and a percentage of landscaping depending on big your lotis. He also built a house which will not meet the code for a hotel. If you read more about this story all of your other questions will be answered.

1 hour ago, Rod the Sod said:

I think you will find it is "skin of your nose". My teeth are skin free....

Well I’m from the US and that’s the term we use. From the first results of a simple Google search:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/64840/where-does-the-phrase-no-skin-off-my-teeth-nose-come-from

Feel free to use whatever expressions exist in your native lexicon, but please refrain from deigning to correct mine. Please don’t take this personally but if your aunt was named Bob and possessed certain male “accoutrements”, then we could all say “Bob’s your uncle.” 

6 hours ago, RobMuir said:

It only costs 16,000 baht to apply for a hotel license legally.

Which as a farang he would never have got.... so he did what the visiting military guy told him to do... deposit 800,850 into the wifes account and all would be ok... 

until the next guy comes along !!!!

Never buy property in Thailand.... 

Seems like a real cool guy.

Beautiful place I could stay there (if I knew before) for a few days

and than stay at Lamai at the beach for another couple days.

Yes, we know for us foreigner .... not an easy place for us. 

I wished people with a glue could help him.

It's know

Only people who achieved something in their life are positive (and happy),

I'm astonished that so many posters (thaivisa) her so negative.

Love and maybe reading helps: https://addicted2success.com/quotes/100-dalai-lama-quotes-that-will-change-your-life/

26 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

Well I’m from the US and that’s the term we use. From the first results of a simple Google search:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/64840/where-does-the-phrase-no-skin-off-my-teeth-nose-come-from

Feel free to use whatever expressions exist in your native lexicon, but please refrain from deigning to correct mine. Please don’t take this personally but if your aunt was named Bob and possessed certain male “accoutrements”, then we could all say “Bob’s your uncle.” 

Yeah but  Fannys' your Aunt.

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Which as a farang he would never have got...

Who told you that one? Plenty of farangs with hotel licenses in Thailand. 

. so he did what the visiting military guy told him to do... deposit 800,850 into the wifes account and all would be ok... 

until the next guy comes along !!!!

Well all that was dumb. Maybe some bar stool type told him farangs can’t get licenses.

Never buy property in Thailand.... 

I have bought and sold nine times this century. Made small to large profits 8 times and had one small loser. 

So I won’t be taking your advice. Rent money is dead money.

3 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Who told you that one? Plenty of farangs with hotel licenses in Thailand. 

Well all that was dumb. Maybe some bar stool type told him farangs can’t get licenses.

I have bought and sold nine times this century. Made small to large profits 8 times and had one small loser. 

Sure you have..you impress me considerably.

Would you like to sign on with the Under 12 Jets Bowling team tonight?

You could win a free ice cream cone with a variety of flavours..

Beats the heck out of sitting on TV for 23 hours a day.

I recently overheard someone talking about selling the rights to a couple of bridges that cross the Mae Nam Ping to an interested farang. I believe it was a Dutch man. Anyway,  once the rights were purchased the Mr Dutch could put up toll booths and collect a princely sum from the daily commuters.

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Sure you have..you impress me considerably.

Would you like to sign on with the Under 12 Jets Bowling team tonight?

You could win a free ice cream cone with a variety of flavours..

Beats the heck out of sitting on TV for 23 hours a day.

I don’t know what you are on about. Sounds you are a bit green to be honest. 

4,300 posts? Nothing better to do? Any actually on topic or are they all jealous drivel?

37 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

If you can achieve somewhere else higher returns than with property then it is a better idea to invest your money somewhere else. "Rent money is dead money" is a little bit too simplified. 

This story is untrue. The german did not have to give a bribe allowance of 800'000 THB to Thai officials. He had to shell out much more probably !!

And also nice to see that the court asked for a receipt ? Do they have small sticker receipts attached on the brown enveloppes for sale ? Could come in handy !!

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

This story is untrue. The german did not have to give a bribe allowance of 800'000 THB to Thai officials. He had to shell out much more probably !!

And also nice to see that the court asked for a receipt ? Do they have small sticker receipts attached on the brown enveloppes for sale ? Could come in handy !!

They might need an evidence. But in the end paying bribes will not be very helpful for his case. It just adds more illegal activities. 

3 minutes ago, Beggar said:

They might need an evidence. But in the end paying bribes will not be very helpful for his case. It just adds more illegal activities. 

Really ?!....but what about those taking them...their actions are worse because sometimes some are desperate and the corrupt officials leave but no choice to bribe.

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Really ?!....but what about those taking them...their actions are worse because sometimes some are desperate and the corrupt officials leave but no choice to bribe.

You might see it like this. But both is against the law. Taking bribes and paying bribes. The latter you will find out when you try to bribe the wrong person. 

Just now, Beggar said:

You might see it like this. But both is against the law. Taking bribes and paying bribes. The latter you will find out when you try to bribe the wrong person. 

Maybe, but as I never bribe....and if I had no choice, I would use a camouflaged camera and take good footage of the incident. The former would also get his piece of finger pointing thus.

2 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

Even Thais have to pay bribes. My Thai wife was educated at Stanford in the US and runs a multi-million dollar stem cell and anti-aging chain in Thailand. She has to pay bribes constantly to other Thais. This is how it works. Most of the medicine she uses is imported from the US and Germany because quality control in Thailand is absolutely horrid. Even Thais won't use or buy medicine that is made in Thailand. No one with an ounce of brainpower would touch medicine made in Thailand. It simply isn't' safe. How do you think the Thais get all this farang medicine into Thailand????? Custom bribes buddy. Who do you think the richest people in Thailand are? They all work at Thai customs. You hands down must pay for protection in Thailand regardless of being Thai or farang. The same rules apply to ALL business owners. Both my wife and I graduated from the number 1 University in the world: Stanford. We are both multi-millionaires. I think we would know what it takes to operate a successful business in Thailand.

Stanford University's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 7

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/stanford-university-1305

Once you embellish, it's hard to take the rest of what you write seriously.

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

US$62 per night, for a four level villa with a 20 m pool, a free Jeep and free and unlimited use of a 'maxibar'.

Gosh that seems a lot for the money. 

Per person, so two in a double bed is around 4,000 baht per nite. However, you cannot book, but that might be due to instant circumstances...:whistling:

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Actually cheap as it's on step slope and only has Nor Sor 3 titles. 

That's why he didn't have building permit. 

Still this hill side has new houses coming up every month. 

Friends of mine has tried to upgrade to chanote for 20 years. 

Are you saying that one cannot apply for a building permission with a nor sor 3 title deed..?

Lesson for any potential villa owners looking to rent out daily, don’t rent a luxury 3 bedroom villa on Airbnb for the same daily rate the hotel next door charges for one small hotel room, especially if the hotel next door has a license and you don’t !

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Per person, so two in a double bed is around 4,000 baht per nite. However, you cannot book, but that might be due to instant circumstances...:whistling:

US$94 for two.... That's 3000 baht.

Can see why the local hoteliers would be annoyed.

7 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

US$94 for two.... That's 3000 baht.

Can see why the local hoteliers would be annoyed.

I think it is not that simple. For sure many people could watch what he was building there for a while. You don't build anything like this overnight and this without any building permit. If I look at the photos it is a prime location very many people would like to have. The view is great. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The German owner was unable to produce a licence, building permit or guest registration books

Sad how some supposed adults still try to lie or make excuses when their hand is caught in the cookie jar.  The guy is trying to claim he thought everything was legal and above the board?  Ridiculous.  Throw the book at him.  With all the Germans that visit and do business in Thailand it is ludicrous for him to try and make any excuses or not knowing anything about local business requirements such as a license!

Archived