Chicks in a fix.

13 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Good on you !  And  good  luck  with it. These kites  are  nice to see  cruising  about. Best is the crows  all piss off and take their  racket  with  em. lol

I've generally got no problem with the birds, with the exception of one species that has a high pitched whistling chirp, and of course the cockerels that crow all night long. TIT.....

• 4 weeks later...

Perky finally got his lazy backside off his tree perch today, and made a circuitous approach on the food tray.

I took a load of still shots, but unfortunately the quality is very poor on the iPad using the zoom. Since my laptop is up the creak, I cannot load pictures from my camera off the SD card, sorry...

Once he got settled on the food tray, I manage to get within 2m of him and took a few videos, before he decided enough was enough. He must be getting much more comfortable with us around.

Maybe I'll try to feed him off the glove soon. I know it's not the usual process of training Hawks, but I don't want to cage him up as they do using the traditional falconry methods. Who's to say that's the only way anyhow! Anybody got any tips?

Having said that I really don't want to encourage him away from his wild tendencies.

I wish I'd thought of the video earlier, there were some magnificent close in gliding action prior to feeding. Next time...

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday we had the royal visit from all 3 Kite chicks. Pinky and Perky and the third chick which managed to stay in the nesting tree originally, let's call him/her Pat.

Pinky and Perky squabbled over the food and Pat hung around on the sidelines, having been chased away by Perky. I managed to get very close to Pat and toss him a fish which he happily tucked into.

Today we put down 3 trays, and after a bit of squabbling, they all managed to get some food.

Pat appears a bit under the weather but, although we can get quite close, we cannot get hold of him to administer any medicine. We're going to town and perhaps the pet shop will have something we can put on his food.

A group of big black nasty crows appeared today, and after much baiting the Kites eventually saw them off.

IMG_2903.JPG

On 4/27/2019 at 11:27 AM, Arjen said:

Once you have them start eating (even when you need some force) there is a big chance for surviving.

What work here is to put them in a cage without a cover.  Once they can fly, they are more or less safe. They start to fly quite easy, it seems they have more problems with landing properly.

About the monkey, (I know something about monkeys).

Be aware that it is illegal to keep monkeys in Thailand. Except when you use the monkey for collecting coconuts it is allowed to have one, ore more. The process of getting the license to keep the monkey legal is quite complicated.

Arjen.

Since the Monkey lacks Thai nationality does it need a Work Permit?

• 3 weeks later...

The chicks continued to pester us for food on a daily basis, but one in particular, Perky, had become quite aggressive towards the others, and chased / fought them off. 

Their antics have provided us with much entertainment, their chases even passing through our Sala, so close we could almost reach up and touch them.

Perky was gorging on the food to the extent he plumped himself on the lawn to recover before eventually flying off. The others, including the odd stranger, simply swooped in snatch and grab and take away.

I think I've finally convinced my wife to stop feeding them as they appear to be well enough developed to fly competently and therefore hunt for themselves. It has always been my concern that they become too dependent on us for food and forgoe their natural instincts to hunt.

It's been very quiet these last few days, although we've had some very heavy storms and persistent torrential rain, and we've seen very little of them. I'm assuming / hoping they have finally become independent of us.

On that note, I will say, job done....

I hope you enjoyed the post and the adventures of Pinky, Perky and Pat. We're certainly very happy to have aided the survival of Pinky & Perky since their fall, and to see them gliding across the ocean, seemingly fit and healthy.