Google photos

Hello, I would to hear from photographs professional (or much more experience than myself) about Google photos. Is it good to use it? To store (and backup) all your photos, to edit....

I am doing a lot of photos with both smartphone, DSLR, mirrorless, gopro...firsly because I am travelling a lot but I also I like to take photos.

Having a gmail account, an android phone, I have a google drive on which I have been storing a lot of documents and it also automaticaly upload your photos. I am using backup and sync on my Mac and windows laptop. What I like with it is that you can access your photos from anywhere.

As the free option is limited to 5GB storage (I think), I subscribed to a paid version which give me 2TB for 3500 THB / year.

I used to subscribe to Adobe CC to use lightroom but I didn't use it much so I didn't renew the subscription. But now I am reconsidering.

Any comments? Good / Bad...?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I'm not a pro but when I investigated Google Photos I realised that images can be compressed on upload. This may or may not decrease quality. I can't recall the details about size, compression rules and types etc. but it would be worth checking that if you ever intend to print your images. Video may also be compressed.

Do a bit of research and see if you are still happy with Google's compression rules. Upload and image then download it. Print a before and after shot at a photo place (they are cheap here) and see if you notice a difference.

You may find that a cloud backup that does not compress your images may be useful but that might take a bit more knowledge and research to see if it is suitable.

I shoot video, RAW and JPEG. I brought 15,000 plus photos back with me to mess with till I return in september.

I am using HDDs for RAWs and Backups, SSDs for editing, etc. I have used about 1TB of portable storage, so am about to get a dump drive to load everything in when I take off agian

Just buy an external hard drive or two. 
Yes I have few and 1 (2TB) is only dedicate for the photos. It's a second backup.
Of course, external hard drive is a solution but my questions are more related to Google Photos. External drive can be corrupted, lost, stolen...
Photos on google cloud remains on the cloud, can be accessible from anywhere as long as you are online, from your PC, Mac, tablet, smarphone, android box...

2 hours ago, jphasia said:

Yes I have few and 1 (2TB) is only dedicate for the photos. It's a second backup.
Of course, external hard drive is a solution but my questions are more related to Google Photos. External drive can be corrupted, lost, stolen...
Photos on google cloud remains on the cloud, can be accessible from anywhere as long as you are online, from your PC, Mac, tablet, smarphone, android box...

Use amazon prime's photo feature, or Amazon's S3. 

Use amazon prime's photo feature, or Amazon's S3. 
I checked about Amazon on internet. Not much difference with Google and about same cost.
My point here is not much about which cloud service, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Dropbox... but more between such services and photo editor such as lightroom, Adobe...
Using Google photos for me came because it is integrated in Android, has an easy automatic app that automaticaly upload and backup all your photos (or selected folder) from your computer, automatically stylish, edited your photos or doing it manually...
Searching photos is also very easy...
I believe sofware such Adobe lightroom are more powerful is term of edition but seems more for professionals

• 2 weeks later...

Google drive or any other "free" cloud-based services: the only question to ask yourself, are you ready to share your photos (and sometimes transfer the ownership) with someone else?

Storage: I use external storage and have my own NAS solution as well, storage capacity is quite cheap nowadays.

Photos editing: I use Adobe Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 13. I just paid a one off fee and didn't subscribe to any recurring service fee.

Google drive or any other "free" cloud-based services: the only question to ask yourself, are you ready to share your photos (and sometimes transfer the ownership) with someone else?

Storage: I use external storage and have my own NAS solution as well, storage capacity is quite cheap nowadays.

Photos editing: I use Adobe Lightroom 6 and Photoshop Elements 13. I just paid a one off fee and didn't subscribe to any recurring service fee.

Thanks for the constructive comment.
No, I don't mind about sharing or transfer ownership of my photos ( I think you mean privacy). First of all, i am making photos to share it. Second, I am not at professional level to worry about ownership photo.
I am very concern about backing up (I used to lose all my data's many years ago when I was only saving on my computer without backup). Now, all my photos are stored and organised (folders) in external 2GB SSD portable drive, then uploaded to Google, then also backup to an external 6GB hard drive at home).
As google photos, I found it very good for auto backup, for sharing, the organisation and that you access all your photos from anywhere any devices (as long as you have internet access). For example, I have an android box and it is easy to slideshow my photos on my large screen TV. I also like the way it auto edit your best photos that you can accept or not.
When it come to edition, when I started to really make photos (when I bought a decent camera), I subscribed to Adobe CC to use mostly lightroom. But I didn't take the time to learn how to use it and soon became bored about and not using it. I then stopped the subscription. But few weeks ago, as I am not working at the moment and have more time, I subscribed again to Adobe CC. I watched a lot of tutorials and learned about it. Now I am getting much better on photo editing and enjoy it a lot. I also now can see the real difference in edition between Lightroom and google photo. In term of organisation, lightroom doesn't give much because I spent a lot of time for the last few years to really well organise my photos.

Archived