Australia's opposition Labor lead over government slips ahead of election: poll

webfact

Australia's opposition Labor lead over government slips ahead of election: poll

2019-04-29T030310Z_1_LYNXNPEF3S031_RTROPTP_4_AUSTRALIA-ELECTION.JPG

Australian Labor Party opposition leader Bill Shorten laughs during remarks at his election night party in Melbourne, July 2, 2016 on Australia's federal election day. REUTERS/Jason Reed/Files

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - The opposition Labor Party's lead over Australia's conservative coalition government narrowed further, while a minor right-wing party gained support, a closely watched opinion poll showed on Monday ahead of a general election on May 18.

The Newspoll was released on the day that early voting was set to begin and Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Labor leader Bill Shorten were set to hold their first televised debate.

Labor's lead fell by a point to 51 percent to 49 percent from the previous poll two weeks ago on a two-party preferred basis, where votes are distributed until a winner is declared, the Newspoll in The Australian newspaper showed.

Morrison's government had trailed Labor by 54 percent to 46 percent in March, before calling the election.

While the race has tightened, Labor is still expected to gain between six and 10 seats to give it the government, the poll showed.

But deals with minor parties could improve the coalition's prospects in preference-vote distributions.

Mining magnate Clive Palmer's United Australian Party, campaigning Donald Trump-style to "Make Australia Great", has overtaken One Nation to be the second-largest minor party, with 5 percent of the primary vote, the poll showed.

Labor has focused on boosting spending on education, health and welfare, promising on Sunday A$4 billion ($2.8 billion) in childcare subsidies to a million low-income families and free dental care, worth A$2.4 billion, for the aged.

Morrison campaigned in Sydney on Sunday on the issue of immigration, promising to cut annual migrant numbers and freeze the country's refugee intake. He was set to head to Western Australia on Monday with promises to boost defense spending.

The Newspoll surveyed 2,136 voters from Friday to Sunday. The sampling error was plus or minus 2.3 percentage points.

($1 = 1.4203 Australian dollars)

(Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-29

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Labor has focused on boosting spending on education, health and welfare, promising on Sunday A$4 billion ($2.8 billion) in childcare subsidies to a million low-income families and free dental care, worth A$2.4 billion, for the aged.

Where is the money for that coming? Just another politician buying votes with borrowed money.

Since Aussie dirt isn't as valuable as it used to be, far as I can see, Australia is in the financial doo doo.

If there is a bright side to a Labour win, it would be if Abbott returns as leader of the opposition.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Today Labor promised to increase the wages of childcare workers by 20%. They are not government workers so how it plans to do this is unclear.

Labor only know about spending. Sure, it would be great if everyone could have free stuff but it just doesn't work like that.

• Like 2

Murdoch always gets his man. And yes, Australia going dirt cheap. China buying up . Too many Gimme Pigs, bludgers and illiterate boneheads that drain a great country to mediocrity and into the hands of the Chinese. 

1 hour ago, Brickbat said:

Murdoch always gets his man. And yes, Australia going dirt cheap. China buying up . Too many Gimme Pigs, bludgers and illiterate boneheads that drain a great country to mediocrity and into the hands of the Chinese. 

And you gained all this completely factual information from what reliable source?

Apologies but just to digress when I read the headline I thought why is Labor spelt incorrectly since the country is based on the Queens English.  When I googled it I found out why.

Now there's a thing for those of you interested.

"The Australian spelling of labour is just like the BrE one. The reason why labouris spelled labor in Australian Labor Party is an important historical one: ... TheALP adopted the formal name "Australian Labour Party" in 1908, but changed thespelling to "Labor" in 1912."

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

And you gained all this completely factual information from what reliable source?

You want the frigging thesis, do you? Glean it mate. Read and read between the lines. We all get our info the same way. It all depends on how we evaluate.  And profit by it

3 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Apologies but just to digress when I read the headline I thought why is Labor spelt incorrectly since the country is based on the Queens English.  When I googled it I found out why.

Now there's a thing for those of you interested.

"The Australian spelling of labour is just like the BrE one. The reason why labouris spelled labor in Australian Labor Party is an important historical one: ... TheALP adopted the formal name "Australian Labour Party" in 1908, but changed thespelling to "Labor" in 1912."

Because the Australian Labour party is illiterate  and they want to suck up to the yanks

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Today Labor promised to increase the wages of childcare workers by 20%. They are not government workers so how it plans to do this is unclear.

Labor only know about spending. Sure, it would be great if everyone could have free stuff but it just doesn't work like that.

Child Care workers are grossly underpaid as are some other occupations in Australia, there will be some form of workaround e.g. establishing a minimum wage. IMO there is no need to make additional funds available for Age Pension dental care as it's already available at "no cost", so a furphy. Somewhat like the massive funding for additional cancer care as again available via Medicare at "no cost", except for drugs awaiting listing on the PBS. Shorten does need to provide the business case for making funding available for various projects, as does Morrison. Would be great if some independent organisation is commissioned for such analysis.

I would guess Morrison will manage to stay in power. Hopefully the number of minor parties / independent seats will reduce giving Labor more traction in opposition.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1