Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

ASEAN NOW

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Woodstock 50th anniversary going ahead, organisers say, despite investor withdrawal

Featured Replies

Woodstock 50th anniversary going ahead, organisers say, despite investor withdrawal

By Jill Serjeant

 

2019-04-29T174727Z_1_LYNXNPEF3S15Y_RTROPTP_4_MUSIC-WOODSTOCK.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Singer John Fogerty speaks during the announcement event for the lineup for the Woodstock 50th Anniversary concert in New York, U.S., March 19, 2019. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo

 

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A planned three-day concert marking the 50th anniversary of the Woodstock music festival was thrown into doubt on Monday after the lead investors said they had cancelled the event but organizers said they were going ahead.

 

Woodstock 50 is planned for Aug. 16-18 at the Watkins Glen motor racing venue in upstate New York with a lineup that included rapper Jay-Z, singer Miley Cyrus and rockers the Killers.

 

"The bottom line is, there is going to be a Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival, as there must be, and it's going to be a blast,” Woodstock 50 said in a statement.

 

It has been promoted as a modern version of the August 1969 Woodstock festival, which was billed as "three days of peace and music" and is regarded as one of the pivotal moments in music history.

 

Earlier on Monday the festival's lead investors said they had "decided to cancel the event."

 

Dentsu Aegis Network, a unit of Japanese company Dentsu Inc, said in a statement they were pulling out because they felt the festival could not be produced "while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees."

 

Dentsu had a clause in its contract that gave it the option to cancel the festival, a representative of the investors said.

 

Woodstock 50 said it would seek new investors.

 

"Although our financial partner is withdrawing, we will of course be continuing with the planning of the festival and intend to bring on new partners," the group's statement said.

 

Michael Lang, the co-producer of the 1969 Woodstock festival and the man behind Woodstock 50, announced in March that more than 80 musical acts, including 1969 festival veterans John Fogerty, Canned Heat and Santana, would take part. Some 100,000 fans were expected to attend and camp at the Watkins Glen site.

 

But the festival ran into trouble two weeks ago when the sale date for tickets was postponed. Ticket prices have not been announced.

 

The festival met delays in obtaining permits, arranging security, water supplies and sanitation, said a source close to the event. Capacity was reduced to around 75,000, cutting into the financial feasibility of the festival, the source added.

 

The nonprofit Bethel Woods Center for the Arts, the current owners of the field where the 1969 Woodstock festival took place, has also scaled back plans for a three-day anniversary event saying in February it will instead host separate concerts by Ringo Starr, Santana and the Doobie Brothers.

 

(Additional reporting by Lisa Richwine; editing by Bill Berkrot, Chris Reese and Lisa Shumaker)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-30
  • Popular Post

All of this Woodstock 50 is the biggest load of rubbish. It exempflies how corporate everything is now. All the greedy hands are competing to see who can exploit this event of 1969 and make the biggest profits.  Jay-Z, God bless him is a talented artist, but what in the world does he have to do with Woodstock?

 

Woodstock was magical for its spontaeneity and the fact there was no violence during the event. The area in which Woodstock was held did not have the infrastructure to support such a massive amount of people and they had to make up the "rules" as they went along. It was the spirit of the times that carried everyone through. Woodstock would have never be so amazing if there had been cell phones and corporate sponsors at every turn of the head selling merchandise. After the huge crowds hit the festival site, they had to let people in for free. Would they let that happen today?

 

In 2019, America is as far removed from the spirit of Woodstock as it was in 1969 from Indian Wars. Why can't we just erect some nice monuments and let the past rest? "The thing I don't like about Capitalism is the capitalists, they're too greedy."

 

Oh heavens! Erecting monuments?  In some future date you will have the PC people protesting and pulling them down.  lacking the knowledge of the real meaning of such a monument.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.