Changing Money at Suvarnabhumi

It depends on where you exchange your money at the airport . The best rates are on the bottom floor near the Airport rail ticket booth to the left.  Super Rich was the only booth at one time but now there are quite a few offering comparative city rates.

The rates at other exchange booths in the airport are not as competitive  and they seem to be hoping for customers who are unaware that there are better options downstairs  .NEXT TO THE AIRPORT RAIL TICKET BOOTH  ON THE LEFT SIDE... not the ones downstairs near the food service areas.  

While you're at it you might also want to use that airport rail to get you closer to your final

destination (if you are not carrying a sh!tl0ad of luggage and would prefer a taxi). For example for lower to mid Sukhumvit It's 35 baht to the Makkasan exit  near Asoke then take a 40+ baht taxi (depending on traffic) .....or if you are staying near an MRT station you can transfer from the Airport rail to the MRT at that station.   

Edited by Seth1a2a
for clarity
  • Like 2

The Swampy basement Super Rich kiosk gets mighty busy at times. If you’re only changing up a small amount then you might save time by just using the first available option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you are unsure , then Best to do a quick google check for the rate of the day.

Compared to the best rates I get on soi Arab

(between Sukhumvit soi 3 and soi 5) and the hassle of just getting there , It's a better option for me to stop at the basement exchange booth area next to the airport rail ticket booth . 

Edited by Seth1a2a
for Clarity ........ and her sisters......

I almost always use Vasu exchange near Nana BTS. Unfortunately they will be closed when I arrive, which is why I am considering changing at the airport. I have enough pocket money from my last trip to cover transport and a meal or two, so can wait until the morning to go to Vasu again, but if the airport offers decent rates maybe I can save myself a trip.

How much are you going to change? Say if you just need pocket money of 5,000 baht? Why run areound for a buck or two.

I can see being concerned if you have $10,000 to change

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

The Swampy basement Super Rich kiosk gets mighty busy at times. If you’re only changing up a small amount then you might save time by just using the first available option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Rich paved the way for many other companies to open exchange booths in the same area as well as other tourist services like Vietnam visas and phone rentals etc.

This post is not intended to "bait you" but to notify you that things have changed quite a bit since the last time you passed through that area of the Suvarnabhumi Airport.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

I almost always use Vasu exchange near Nana BTS. Unfortunately they will be closed when I arrive, which is why I am considering changing at the airport. I have enough pocket money from my last trip to cover transport and a meal or two, so can wait until the morning to go to Vasu again, but if the airport offers decent rates maybe I can save myself a trip.

As I wrote before, the rates are great considering the way airport exchange services seem to gouge prices (my home airport not only gives a poor rate but they also charge a commission  ) .            However, ....... since there is no urgency and you do have other options you can satisfy your curiosity by writing down the basement area rates and then compare those with Vasu.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

Funny to watch a long queue at S.R. while other booths at the spot offer the same rates and no to little queues. Typical result of internet fame.

Exchange rates within the airport premises are the same for all booths/banks and about 4% to 7% worse for major currencies (from own observation).

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Exchange rates within the airport premises are the same for all booths/banks and about 4% to 7% worse for major currencies (from own observation).

I've been through  Suvarnabhumi Airport 6 times since November 22nd 2018.

(3 arrivals + 3 departures)

Exchange rates on the basement level of the Suvarnabhumi Airport ( only next to the airport rail ticket booth) are not the same as the other exchange booth rates within the airport. 

Rates fluctuate daily.

The rate at that basement airport area on February 1st 2019  was 31.08 baht to 1 US dollar.

The best available consumer rate I found in Bangkok  was  31.13 baht to 1 US dollar.

If you are still in doubt , the best I can do is post the 2 receipts I kept from that day.

200 USD @31.08   was 6216 baht   Airport basement

200 USD  @31.13    was 6226 baht  Soi Arab Sukhumvit. 

The Banks were buying @ 31.19 on that day so the margin is well below the 4% to 7% mentioned above . That would only apply to the other exchange booths throughout the airport

and not the basement area near the airport rail ticket booth.

True, not the place to change 10,000.00 USD .

A few hundred to get started while losing 10 to 20 baht is not a bad compromise for me to make 

The OP has decided to pursue other options, others may have not been aware of these options.

The use of basement exchange booths go hand in hand with using the airport rail system. People who use limos to Pattaya , taxis to Sukhumvit or Hotel pickup services have their own comfort zone and even the worst airport exchanges booths upstairs are just fine with them.

Edited by Seth1a2a
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

Super Rich paved the way for many other companies to open exchange booths in the same area as well as other tourist services like Vietnam visas and phone rentals etc.

This post is not intended to "bait you" but to notify you that things have changed quite a bit since the last time you passed through that area of the Suvarnabhumi Airport.

I was down there last November 2018, Seth.  I also purchased a SIM card down there but didn't change any money up as the booths were quite full at the time.  The only reason I was down there was because we were staying at Novotel Suvarnabhumi and it's a quick walk from the hotel to the basement.

If I were arriving from abroad and not using the rail link then I wouldn't bother going down there to change up money unless it was a staggering amount that required me to pick up the prevailing rate.  If I only needed enough for a taxi then I would use one of the money changers upstairs with their inferior rate as I can't be bothered running around to save two bob.

• Like 1