Bangkok taxi: White spirits, stinky food, someone sleeping on the floor - and dangerous driving to boot!

webfact

Bangkok taxi: White spirits, stinky food, someone sleeping on the floor - and dangerous driving to boot!

7pm.jpg

Caption: "Moo Nam Tok" Taxi!

A Bangkok man posted his experience of taking a taxi in the capital.

Thanasit Chatthaweeudom went on Facebook to say he hailed a cab to take him to the Phayathai airport link station. 

As soon as he got in he noticed the reek of white spirits and pungent food. 

Sure enough, there was a half consumed bottle of "lao khao" in the door compartment and some really stinky "namtok moo" (a pungent Thai dish) by the gear stick. 

But that was nothing. 

On the floor on the front passenger side was someone sleeping.

The driver's nameplate was folded over and hidden from view.

However, none of this was the reason that the passenger decided to get out half way at the Jamjuree intersection. 

That was because of the driver's incredibly scary driving - speeding up for red lights and braking dangerously when he couldn't get though intersections. 

Thanasit eventually aborted the journey and gave the driver 100 baht and didn't get any change either, reported Sanook. 

He went to a police booth to report the driver but seemingly didn't stick around to see what happened next. 

Picture: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-03
  • Haha 1

Glad to see it isn’t only “farangs” complaining about some of these local taxi drivers who are clueless. ( And these clueless taxi drivers can’t figure out why Grab is preferred.  -A Grab driver can be evaluated by each customer.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Grab all the way! The taxi industry here deserves to collapse!

I have this app ready to go when I return to Bkk.   I have watched many times as the cab drivers refused my exThai gf a ride.  She says it's just the way it is, some are good, some are bad.  I said few are good, most are bad...

Obviously the passenger was Thai and the driver Issan. Nam tok moo is an Issan dish, and doesn't really smell that bad. I have eaten it a number of times and find it very tasty. Just Bangkokian snobbery directed at Issan folk. Nothing new there.

If you really want a smelly cab ride, try a cab in the UK. Almost exclusively operated by drivers from the Indian sub continent.

• Like 1

That passenger who smelled the food and drink and saw the sleeping child "as soon as he got in" didn't have to stay there, he had the option to get out again.

I have noticed that a few taxi drivers have their child with them, particularly during school holidays, but I will always wave them on, just as the complainant  in the OP could have done.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:52 AM, Just Weird said:

That passenger who smelled the food and drink and saw the sleeping child "as soon as he got in" didn't have to stay there, he had the option to get out again.

Correct, but he/she would miss a lot of 'likes' on fakebook.

• Like 1