Income Method, No Leniancy, Must Be 12 Months

5 minutes ago, ignis said:

Income Method, No Leniancy, Must Be 12 Months......

OK have 7 months before next renewal, but  Get my Private pension every 90 days and the State Pension every 28 days..  ?  so that is 4 x Private and 13 times State..

Is that going to be a problem ?

Yes, it would be a problem. I would suggest you adhere to the 65k monthly rule by transferring at least that amount every month. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Can anyone enlighten me on what the expressed purpose of 400k in the bank in perpetuity is supposed to be for ?

Possibly to weed out those who have 'borrowed' monies to meet the 800k rule. While you could repay 800k plus interest after 5 months, the new rule makes that repayment impossible when you're obliged to retain 400k.

I could also see that 400k being enforced for married applicants in due course.

Edited by stephenterry
addition to text.

4 hours ago, billsmart said:

Yes, that's my understanding of the new rules also. It's 2 months when applying for a subsequent extension based on retirement. Here is (one of the many) translations of the official rules...

image.png

Does anyone have a link to this document or a full copy of it with all pages? I've never seen an Immigration Bureau order so well written and explained in detail with examples. Thanks...

Edited by BertM

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Possibly to weed out those who have 'borrowed' monies to meet the 800k rule. While you could repay 800k plus interest after 5 months, the new rule makes that repayment impossible when you're obliged to retain 400k.

Whereas TI don't mind making life difficult for single retirees, I don't think they relish the thought of thousands of Thai wives thumping their desks demanding they stop ar.siNg about with the golden goose.

I know there is alot of confusion on this.......is it 3 months, 2 months, 1 yr?

2 days ago I had to get my 90 day check, went to Chiang Mai Immigration, in person, brought my bank book and showed them what gets deposited every month, she assured me-it is only a 3 month requirement, I asked her twice and told her I was asking because of all the rumors about how long the money has to be in there.

I have my money direct deposited to Bangkok Bank New York City......

She was telling me for the second time....ONLY 3 months.......when a guy with 2 stripes came and he also looked at my bank book and said YOU WONT HAVE A PROBLEM.

Thats all I can tell ya~!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Under the old-rules, one needed the money for 3 mo before applying.  A 3 mo loan would cost more than an agent's fee - so these were likely rare. 

Seasoning of money isn't checked for agent-assisted applications - why they "flash" the money in and out in a day for just a bank-letter.  Therefore, the rule-change is only designed to target those not using agents.

1 hour ago, racyrick said:

Probably because nobody has even called this number. Everyone is scared to call, I don't understand.

Probably because they know the nature of the system, and it could lead to problems in perpetuity for any immigration-dealings (and possibly other govt interactions in the future) if they did.  Local offices and entry points do the awful things reported here, yet there is rarely a crackdown.  It appears that from the perspective of the higher-ups, the freedom to "improvise" to make life difficult for the law-abiding is a "feature' of the system - not a bug.

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Therefore, the rule-change is only designed to target those not using agents.

But who do they believe it will confound. 

That group of 3 pals moving 800k between each of their accounts after a 3 month stay?

2 hours ago, BertM said:

Does anyone have a link to this document or a full copy of it with all pages? I've never seen an Immigration Bureau order so well written and explained in detail with examples. Thanks...

BertM, I'll send you what I was given at my Immigration Office in Phetchabun...

3 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I know there is alot of confusion on this.......is it 3 months, 2 months, 1 yr?

2 days ago I had to get my 90 day check, went to Chiang Mai Immigration, in person, brought my bank book and showed them what gets deposited every month, she assured me-it is only a 3 month requirement, I asked her twice and told her I was asking because of all the rumors about how long the money has to be in there.

I have my money direct deposited to Bangkok Bank New York City......

She was telling me for the second time....ONLY 3 months.......when a guy with 2 stripes came and he also looked at my bank book and said YOU WONT HAVE A PROBLEM.

Thats all I can tell ya~!!!

Are you talking about your monthly deposits from abroad and was this for a retirement or marriage extension? Thanks

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But who do they believe it will confound. 

That group of 3 pals moving 800k between each of their accounts after a 3 month stay?

We have pooled some money for this.  Currently seasoning money for the first guy to go through, and he is due soon, and then two other guys will follow. 

We discussed bouncing around 65k, but went for the shared 400k. 

In time, all out renewals will line up perfectly, with some small time for travel, or a visit to families in our home countries. 

Edited by CommunalVisaMoney
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Can anyone enlighten me on what the expressed purpose of 400k in the bank in perpetuity is supposed to be for ?

A free farang loan to Thai banks.  ????

It's not for emergency purposes because you can't touch in the case of an emergency, or you don't get next year's visa. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 2:31 AM, wimpy said:

Showed the letter from Big Joke referring to leniency on this. Was told that only applies to people doing their first extension.

You can go out of the country and obtain an O visa and then start over. If you start it over, is it consider a first extension?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Good point.....I think there are some weeks before a purchase is billed to my card and hits my bank account.

In the US, all cards have at least 25-day grace period - the time when you don't pay interest if paid in full when due. I always use credit cards for all my purchase. It is like using other people's money for free. When outside USA, I keep no more than 100USD (or 100 Euro) in local currency and try to charge credit cards only. In Thailand all my restaurant bills, grocery bills (in Big C), shoes, clothes are charged to credit cards. Rent is paid as a bank transfer. I try to avoid paying cash wherever possible.  

2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

In the US, all cards have at least 25-day grace period - the time when you don't pay interest if paid in full when due. I always use credit cards for all my purchase. It is like using other people's money for free. When outside USA, I keep no more than 100USD (or 100 Euro) in local currency and try to charge credit cards only. In Thailand all my restaurant bills, grocery bills (in Big C), shoes, clothes are charged to credit cards. Rent is paid as a bank transfer. I try to avoid paying cash wherever possible.  

I agree this makes economic sense, but doesn't do a great deal for privacy, and you are exposed to Credit Card skimming which is still quite common in Thailand. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree this makes economic sense, but doesn't do a great deal for privacy, and you are exposed to Credit Card skimming which is still quite common in Thailand. 

I have only experienced card skimming once here in 25+ years. I know many people in the US that have had their cards compromised more than that.

I have decided to do the 800k deposit method this year, and avoid a visa run. The funds are on the way.

I will continue to transfer the 65k a month as well. I spend more than that here monthly anyway. This will allow me to switch to the income method next year. After three months, I can do what I wish with the 800k.

2 hours ago, wimpy said:

I have decided to do the 800k deposit method this year, and avoid a visa run. The funds are on the way.

I will continue to transfer the 65k a month as well. I spend more than that here monthly anyway. This will allow me to switch to the income method next year. After three months, I can do what I wish with the 800k.

You can't use any of the 800k for 5 months and you can't go under a 400k balance for as long as you want next year's visa. 

10 minutes ago, CommunalVisaMoney said:

You can't use any of the 800k for 5 months and you can't go under a 400k balance for as long as you want next year's visa. 

Next year's visa extension will be based on the income method.

Edited by wimpy

13 minutes ago, CommunalVisaMoney said:

It will be interesting to see if they actually want me to come in after three months to verify the 800k hasn't been touched.

2 minutes ago, wimpy said:

It will be interesting to see if they actually want me to come in after three months to verify the 800k hasn't been touched.

Jomtien immigration office is telling people to bring their financials at their reporting.  Unknown at this stage what repercussions there will be for going under the amount. 

11 hours ago, onera1961 said:

In the US, all cards have at least 25-day grace period - the time when you don't pay interest if paid in full when due.

Well we aren't in the USA. I prefer to use a Thai one in Thailand. Thai credit cards are not as easy, but there is a definite spell of a few weeks before a debt is pulled from my savings account. (Not really a credit card!). It might work to cover a short hospital visit and the bill, and prevent the need of reducing on the 400/800k obligation. 

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well we aren't in the USA. I prefer to use a Thai one in Thailand. Thai credit cards are not as easy, but there is a definite spell of a few weeks before a debt is pulled from my savings account. (Not really a credit card!). It might work to cover a short hospital visit and the bill, and prevent the need of reducing on the 400/800k obligation. 

You probably should separate the credit card from the 400/800k account. 

If your card is ever skimmed, the thief will take some or all of your 400/800k, and then you also have a problem with immigration. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CommunalVisaMoney said:

You probably should separate the credit card from the 400/800k account. 

If your card is ever skimmed, the thief will take some or all of your 400/800k, and then you also have a problem with immigration. 

It's a good thought. 

41 minutes ago, CommunalVisaMoney said:

Jomtien immigration office is telling people to bring their financials at their reporting.  Unknown at this stage what repercussions there will be for going under the amount. 

I won't be doing 90 day reports this year because I will be traveling outside Thailand several times. How do they handle that?

All US cards are also protected from fraudulent charges. I don't know what privacy you are talking about. Never care fir privacy.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app