Definition Of Bicycle In Thailand?

First my question: Does Thailand recognize electric bicycles within any limits as "bicycles" as opposed to "motorcycles", and can I buy one and ride it without a license and insurance, like I could ride a normal human powered bicycle?

Now the background: I'm considering buying an electric bicycle for short jaunts from my apartment to the grocery store. My other (2nd choice) option is buying a gas powered scooter, but that requires registration, insurance, licensing, etc. I do have a WP so I think I can get the license, but don't really want the hassle and risk as I don't heal up as quickly as I did when I was a kid.

In the USA, electric bicycles are defined as 2-3 wheels with operable pedals, maximum speed 20 MPH, max 750 watt motor, and no more than 100 lb. Within those limits, they're considered bicycles and regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Beyond those limits, they're considered motor vehicles and controlled by Department of Transportation (DOT).

By US federal law, electric bicycles don't have to be registered or insured anywhere normal bicycles don't have to be registered and insured. Riders of electric bicycles have the same rights and responsibilities as riders of any human powered bicycle and states can't regulate them differently.

I'm wondering if Thailand has any such distinction between electric bicycles, human powered bicycles and motorcycles? I love my e-bike in China and would really like to buy one here in BKK, but not if I can't use it legally.

BTW, the above US definition of bicycle is several years old and my no longer be current.

On the basis that the motorcycle and sidecar we see so often around Thailand need not be registered or in fact any licence to drive I dont think that E bikes will require any licence either but then again TIT hahaha.

Edit

Maybe I should of said "Not Enforced" becasue there in all probability is some licencing required but is ignored by the BIB, maybe on the basis that there is little money in pursuing law breakers!

An E bike though especially when driven by a Farang would IMHO be fair game for all the obvious reasons! 

Archived