Mike's Baaack....

gettalife

I ate Spaghetti Carbonara at a "so called" Italian restaurant in Bann Tawai..it was the WORST Italian food I have ever tasted..the name eludes me...and I wont be remembering it though

Would that the be Georgios or Mr. Chan and Miss Paulines? :o

Definatley NOT Georgio's UG

I dont know about the other names, but I could only see yhai staff doing the cooking, not a farang (or customer) in sight

Hey thai visa-ites. Just who do think does all the cooking in the western restaurants here? liitle fat european chefs? no! they may train them their way then they're(the thais) off and running and the owner keeps an eye on them-if he's smart. Some of the idiot comments on this site amaze me. Getta clue card!

oh thank you!

i am learning so much!

and you have been the tops in being helpful!

but where can i get a clue card??

they sound like they would be really handy to have!!

clue cards are available at most 7-11's(ya know the store that's every 20 metres in chiang mai) where u buy a phone card. but i think they're selling the company to a singapore investment arm so u betta hurry. hey guys -don't take it too seriously-only kidding about the clue card comment. ya see, it's a figure of speech when one is not totally knowledgeable of a certain subject. hey, even i had to buy a clue card once. it was, however, a question about quantum physics. until my next enlightment....ciao bella

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A candid question : What is so great with burgers ?

1 Variety

2 A good burger is good

As for #1 - when I first came to Thailand I asked my girlfriend - now wife - why any Thai would even consider going to McD and pay more for a squishy old cheeseburger than they would pay for any of the endless variety of delicious Thai street food. It didn't make any sense. She said: "Variety. Sometimes you want something different."

Of course, she was right. After eating Thai food exclusively for a pretty long time when I got here, I now mix it up with farang food rather evenly. Well - now that I know where to get high-quality farang food. I even get the cravings for some bizarrely artificial-tasting McD meal about once per year.

As for good burgers, no mystery here, it's bread, meat, and some veggies with some sauce and can be very good. I can recommend Pai Blues in Pai, Swedish chef makes the best burgers ever. Not to confuse with McD though...

Talking of fast food - does anyone know where to get a decent Turkish style kebab in town? Alan on Kotchisarn road (east moat) used to do pretty decent chicken ones in a good pitta but he's gone. Any recommendations?

BTW, Northern Farms 150gm American Beef burgers come highly rated - Mmmmmm :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

You could try Woody's. They do a big pork kebab in pitta. Decent hamburgers as well. They are on Chaiyapoom Road, next to the 7/11 near Changers and Bangers bar.

I tried a burger at Woody's last night. Pretty good, definitely a step up from Mike's (even when Mike was there), IMO, in terms of beef and bun quality. Comes with fries, which were also quote good. Friendly and open till the wee hours.

I ate Spaghetti Carbonara at a "so called" Italian restaurant in Bann Tawai..it was the WORST Italian food I have ever tasted..the name eludes me...and I wont be remembering it though

Would that the be Georgios or Mr. Chan and Miss Paulines? :o

Definatley NOT Georgio's UG

I dont know about the other names, but I could only see yhai staff doing the cooking, not a farang (or customer) in sight

HEY THAI VISA-ITES. JUST WHO DO THINK DOES ALL THE COOKING IN THE WESTERN RESTAURANTS HERE? LIITLE FAT EUROPEAN CHEFS? NO! THEY MAY TRAIN THEM THEIR WAY THEN THEY'RE(THE THAIS) OFF AND RUNNING AND THE OWNER KEEPS AN EYE ON THEM-IF HE'S SMART. SOME OF THE IDIOT COMMENTS ON THIS SITE AMAZE ME. GETTA CLUE CARD!

oh thank you!

i am learning so much!

and you have been the tops in being helpful!

but where can i get a clue card??

they sound like they would be really handy to have!!

clue cards are available at most 7-11's(ya know the store that's every 20 metres in chiang mai) where u buy a phone card. but i think they're selling the company to a singapore investment arm so u betta hurry. hey guys -don't take it too seriously-only kidding about the clue card comment. ya see, it's a figure of speech when one is not totally knowledgeable of a certain subject. hey, even i had to buy a clue card once. it was, however, a question about quantum physics. until my next enlightment....ciao bella

Well hers's a little clue card for you 'getamike'

learn to use the quote fuction...it ain't hard. :D

Talking of fast food - does anyone know where to get a decent Turkish style kebab in town? Alan on Kotchisarn road (east moat) used to do pretty decent chicken ones in a good pitta but he's gone. Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Pikey.

You could try Woody's. They do a big pork kebab in pitta. Decent hamburgers as well. They are on Chaiyapoom Road, next to the 7/11 near Changers and Bangers bar.

I tried a burger at Woody's last night. Pretty good, definitely a step up from Mike's (even when Mike was there), IMO, in terms of beef and bun quality. Comes with fries, which were also quote good. Friendly and open till the wee hours.

For being such a Thai food fanatic, you sure eat a lot of burgers. :D

I agreed with you on the Saloon bacon cheeseburger. How would you rate Woody's against that?

Not jealous, I'm sure if he knows he is dealing with an owner of an established business in CM he will be a little bit nicer than his usual self.

[slander removed]

if we're talking about CM Saloon owner... i'll second that opinion.

BTW, Northern Farms 150gm American Beef burgers come highly rated - Mmmmmm :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

For being such a Thai food fanatic, you sure eat a lot of burgers. :D

I agreed with you on the Saloon bacon cheeseburger. How would you rate Woody's against that?

Saloon burgers are better than Woody's. I'd rank 'em:

CM Saloon (original location, haven't tried the Ratwithi Rd branch)

Woody's

Duke's

Mike's (Chaiyaphum Rd branch, haven't tried the others)

Just my personal opinion ... :D and that's a pretty limited sampling.

UG yes I do like a burger now and then. I'm starting to feel dutybound to try one whenever I come across a new place, just so I can report here. :o

Anyone know who owns Woody's? Not really important, just curious.

Don't get the beef posters have with CM Saloon owner. Never heard a peep from him myself. But then when I eat somewhere I don't want to meet the owner, I'm in and then out. I guess some TVers want an owner to be their pal or kiss their derrieres.

But do any of these places make them like this.....

Looks GREAT, but I prefer thinner hamburger patties in Thailand as it's easier to forget about the lousy quality of the beef. :o

Northern Farm do a good quality beef mince. I just make them myself (so i know whats in them). Easy , cheap and tasty.. 500 g lean ground beef

1 onion, finely chopped

1 egg

1/3 cup breadcrumbs

2 tablespoons ketchup

1 teaspoon steak seasoning

salt and pepper

Looks GREAT, but I prefer thinner hamburger patties in Thailand as it's easier to forget about the lousy quality of the beef. :o

Northern Farm do a good quality beef mince. I just make them myself (so i know whats in them). Easy , cheap and tasty.. 500 g lean ground beef

1 onion, finely chopped

1 egg

1/3 cup breadcrumbs

2 tablespoons ketchup

salt and pepper

This is what Americans call meatloaf. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy good meatloaf, but burgers should be 100% beef with no fried eggs or beetroot anywhere in sight! :D

1 onion, finely chopped

1 egg

1/3 cup breadcrumbs

2 tablespoons ketchup

salt and pepper

This is what Americans call meatloaf. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy good meatloaf, but burgers should be 100% beef with no fried eggs or beetroot anywhere in sight! :D

I never said i was American.. :D

post-31110-1173622659_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi,

A friend of mine owns Red Door Bar, and he cooks the BEST kebabs (And Im not just saying that because he's a mate!). I can give directions to it if you have transport... Its basically from the city upto the MaeJo Rimping crossroads, turn right onto that ring road. Go under the first underpass, then its on your left shortly after that.

His names Michael, and he does THE BEST Kebabs in Chiang Mai IMHO. He cooked up a feast of donar kebabs, turkish kebabs, loads of starters and stuff for myself and some friends last week. This guy is an incredible cook.

Anyway, he likes to know in advance if people are after a kebab feast, So his name is Michael, and his number is 0810210097.

Cheers

Phil

You aren't talking about the Red Door Restaurant on the ring road behind Payap Univeristy are you? Surely must be a different place on the same road.

Its the Red Door Restaurant next door to the Roadhouse bar on the ring road.

The Michael that owns it was in partnership with Alan at the Kebab place in town apparantly. (I've only known Michael since the Red Door, so can't verify what he says. :D )

Anyway, lovely tasty kebabs he cooked us. Fresh pitta's, garlic sauces, yoghurt sauces, different meats. Yummy :D

Cheers

Phil

Ahhh Crap - I go past there most times when I am heading home and used to eat there when I was at Payap but it was a Thai restaurant then without a kebab in sight. My girlfriend from Payap was the Asahi girl there - sigh, I will have to pull over and check it out soon.

Thanks for the information

Looks like a blerry small bun....

We have small buns because we don't spend our life eating fatty foods like deep fried cheese (Green Bay) and a whole deep fried chicken (Phenix) or half a cow (Texas)

Ok sorry - you will probably find that the bun is about 13cm (5" for the metrically challenged) in diameter - my favorite haunt in Melbourne for a 2:00am 'burger used to do one called "the stack" it looked just like that and had a wooden skewer through it to hold everything in place. I could never eat one - way too big and takes up too much beer room. :o

We have small buns because we don't spend our life eating fatty foods

my favorite haunt in Melbourne for a 2:00am 'burger used to do one called "the stack" it looked just like that and had a wooden skewer through it to hold everything in place. I could never eat one - way too big . :D

Don't eat fatty foods? Oh really? :o

We have small buns because we don't spend our life eating fatty foods

my favorite haunt in Melbourne for a 2:00am 'burger used to do one called "the stack" it looked just like that and had a wooden skewer through it to hold everything in place. I could never eat one - way too big . :D

Don't eat fatty foods? Oh really? :D

The weird thing is that I have put on 10 kilos in three years of living here and my diet is almost totally Thai. Hmmm wonder if the beer has anything to do with it? :o

We need to send sabaijai out to recon the new In an Out (Mike's drive in) to see where it stands in the top 10 Chiang Mai burgers.

By the way, sabaijai, we seem to have simular tastes in hamburgers, so try a Big Mango Burger in Nana Plaza if it is convienient. They are my favorite!

so try a Big Mango Burger in Nana Plaza if it is convienient. They are my favorite!

Have to agree, the Big mango does serve a great burger, and considering it is in Nana Plaza, it is still a relaxed atmosphere to enjoy the food in :D

Not eaten a burger at the Big Mango but had a few beers there - great bar with some excellent scenery :o

We visited the new IN-N-OUT over the weekend and sampled various burgers, fries, subs etc.

It was not bad, albeit somewhat expensive at about 200 Baht a head before counting our beers. (It was, however, better than Mikes under the new people and FAAAAR better than the Duke's burgers or fries.)

I think we will probably return, but not frequently. Too much other good food around at better prices.

Cheers,

Pikey.

My buddy and I never agree on hamburgers. If I like them, he doesn't, and vice versa.

NEITHER of us thought that Woodies was up to much! :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

Hi,

A friend of mine owns Red Door Bar, and he cooks the BEST kebabs (And Im not just saying that because he's a mate!). I can give directions to it if you have transport... Its basically from the city upto the MaeJo Rimping crossroads, turn right onto that ring road. Go under the first underpass, then its on your left shortly after that.

His names Michael, and he does THE BEST Kebabs in Chiang Mai IMHO. He cooked up a feast of donar kebabs, turkish kebabs, loads of starters and stuff for myself and some friends last week. This guy is an incredible cook.

Anyway, he likes to know in advance if people are after a kebab feast, So his name is Michael, and his number is 0810210097.

Cheers

Phil

You aren't talking about the Red Door Restaurant on the ring road behind Payap Univeristy are you? Surely must be a different place on the same road.

Its the Red Door Restaurant next door to the Roadhouse bar on the ring road.

The Michael that owns it was in partnership with Alan at the Kebab place in town apparantly. (I've only known Michael since the Red Door, so can't verify what he says. :D )

Anyway, lovely tasty kebabs he cooked us. Fresh pitta's, garlic sauces, yoghurt sauces, different meats. Yummy :D

Cheers

Phil

Ahhh Crap - I go past there most times when I am heading home and used to eat there when I was at Payap but it was a Thai restaurant then without a kebab in sight. My girlfriend from Payap was the Asahi girl there - sigh, I will have to pull over and check it out soon.

Thanks for the information

CB, is it better to go for the asahi girls or payap girls? :o OR BOTH?