work permit cancellation

sorry if this topic is live somewhere. I had a look for a current answer. So a friend of mine has a work permit which due to various nefarious practices by the school, they want to cancel it and transfer school. I'm aware they will have to go to Laos for a new tourist visa and then go again for a non b due to time constraints. As the school year is about to start and shes just entered negotiations with a new school today.

My question is about cancellation of the WP, now im hearing differing opinions on this so i'm seeking the answer. Once they have handed in their notice (actually none is necessary according to the one page contract btw). Can they just go to labour and cancel it herself with a form. Or does the school need to get involved or supply some paperwork. Then do they actually need to go to immigration and cancel her non b, or can they simply walk out of thailand. 

I'm presuming the non b will need to be cancelled so they can get another one, although savannakhet seem more flexible on this than vientianne.

I don't trust the school and I think if they get wind of whats going on they will try to throw up some barriers if they can.

any info on this appreciated

thanks

Now you found a school that pays a bit more and that's reason enough to leave the kids without a teacher? It's not a friend, it's you, right? 

If they paid you through the long holiday and you leave them in the rain to make a few more baht you create a very difficult situation for the students. parents and the next teacher who'll replace you. 

Instead of giving them the notice to look for a new teacher, as you won't be back, you post a thread to find out how you can get away keeping all paid money to you and leave the students without a teacher. 

You made it very clear that it's you and not a nebulous female friend teacher with this sentence:

" I don't trust the school and I think if they get wind of whats going on they will try to throw up some barriers if they can." 

And yes, they should make your life very difficult for various reasons. 

You shouldn't be given any advice on how to rip a school off. Full stop. 

• Like 1

Your friend can go to the Labour Dept. office and cancel the W.P. by herself.  She needs nothing from the school. They will likely post-date the cancellation for a couple of days if she requests. That will give her time to exit the country.

Is she on a Visa (original entry to Thailand), or is she on an Extension of Stay ? If the former, she can stay in Thailand until it expires. If the latter, it ends the day her job ends.  She should take proof of her W>P. cancellation (the receipt  which she will be given by the Labour Dept.) when she exits Thailand.

Sadly its not me,Isaan Biker. i'm happy in my school because they don't play financial games whilst being all nicey nicey

Although one of my colleagues did exactly what your saying, he's currently attempting to sort out a huge mess in bangkok with paperwork etc. I didn't agree with his plans but he lied to me until the last moment then said he wasn't coming back. 

As for a 12 month contract, its just that  a contract, its there to possibly retain you, and in my case it has for another year but its not a guarantee. Personally id do anything for another 10,000  a month as should anyone. But I agree Isaan Biker, notice i.e. being honest with your school, should be given.

i'm not going into anymore detail on  my friends situation as im trying to help them sort out their problems at the moment. But as a native speaker you can't imagine the problems some of the teachers from other countries face all the time.

Allane thanks for the straight answer. Thats all I wanted to know. You answered more than i wanted to know and covered everything. She's on an extension of stay.

Edited by jaffas21

• 3 weeks later...

Allane update on the situation in Korat you cannot now go to labour in Nakhonratchasima to cancel your work permit by going to labour anymore. You go to labour get a letter to take to school, then they complete the letter. Then they have to bring the letter back to labour and extra documents to cancel the work permit. The school is involved. My friend went through this two days ago. The school was not to happy about being dragged to labour and I know two people who this has happened to in the last month and neither school knew these new rules.

Edited by jaffas21

1 hour ago, jaffas21 said:

Allane update on the situation in Korat you cannot now go to labour in Nakhonratchasima to cancel your work permit by going to labour anymore. You go to labour get a letter to take to school, then they complete the letter. Then they have to bring the letter back to labour and extra documents to cancel the work permit. The school is involved. My friend went through this two days ago. The school was not to happy about being dragged to labour and I know two people who this has happened to in the last month and neither school knew these new rules.

I paid a local visa agent to cancel mine was worth every baht not having to deal with the mess. I believe 2k