Island recommendation out of Phuket.

Xaos

Hi, guys I live in Pattaya, we plan to go for a 4 nights to some nice island. We choose flight to Phuket due its cheapest from Pattaya.

Where would you go from Phuket, Im after some "pristine" beach, snorkeling. Koh Lipe kind of thing (been there)

I was looking at Koh Yao Noi/Yai which one of this would be nicer? and if this is any good idea?

Never been to Phi Phi and it might be good option isnt it ?

As well im Thinking Lanta tho not sure I can get there from Phuket.

Any ideas 

Cheers.

2 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Koh Mak or Koh Kood. Koh Chang is also not the worst.

it's just 2-3 hours van from you plus boat ride.

Would avoid the andaman side if i was you. No point in flying to Phuket imo.

Yeh but I ask out of Phuket.

I Live in Pattaya been Kood and Chang few times, can drive there.

Found https://www.phuketferry.com/ferry-schedule.html 

Anyone knows how much speedboat to Phi Phi ?

and whats between Phi Phi vs Lanta ?

The ferry from Phuket pier to Ao Nang is a pleasant ride, nice scenery as you go past some small islands and out croppings.  Ao Nang beach is not great, but Railey beach around the point is quiet and clean.  Ao Nang is fun for a few days.  Not a great diving spot as far as I know but plenty of trips and tours possible from there. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Yeh but I ask out of Phuket.

I Live in Pattaya been Kood and Chang few times, can drive there.

Found https://www.phuketferry.com/ferry-schedule.html 

Anyone knows how much speedboat to Phi Phi ?

and whats between Phi Phi vs Lanta ?

speed boat with park entry fee should be around 1,100 baht but price changes on a daily/case basis, all is negotiable, good luck

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The ferry from Phuket pier to Ao Nang is a pleasant ride, nice scenery as you go past some small islands and out croppings.  Ao Nang beach is not great, but Railey beach around the point is quiet and clean.  Ao Nang is fun for a few days.  Not a great diving spot as far as I know but plenty of trips and tours possible from there. 

Been Ao Nang, Koh Poda, Riley beach, would prefer island

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Koh Mak or Koh Kood. Koh Chang is also not the worst.

it's just 2-3 hours van from you plus boat ride.

Would avoid the andaman side if i was you. No point in flying to Phuket imo.

Totally agree - Koh Chang is great, Koh Kood is stunning, but no ATM on the island so take cash (edit limited ATM)

Plenty of deserted beaches at Khao Lak and only an hour up the road from the airport, dont expect any decent vise snorkelling anywhere this time of year

Edited by beechbum

17 hours ago, eezergood said:

Phi Phi is packed - Lanta is small & you need transport

Lanta is far larger than Phi Phi and some of the other islands quoted here. It has a reasonable town (Saladan) in the north and plenty of restaurants and beach bars as well as around 25 kilometres of various beaches on the West side. It is completely different to Phuket in terms of size, development ,vibe and atmosphere (no girly bars or up tempo nightlife). For snorkeling (which I do a lot of) the main islands including Lanta are now very poor and you have to go on (speedboat) trips /tours which can be done from Lanta (about 1500 baht per head).

There is plenty of transport using the relatively inexpensive "Sam lors " 3 wheel motorcycle taxis. Hiring of scooters or a car is also easy.

That said,this is not the ideal time of year to be on the Andaman coast..

• Like 1

Agree with most of these comments re Lanta and Phi Phi.   Both are quite exposed to the South West monsoon at this time of year through to November(ish).   That's why the further north you go into Phang Nga Bay (Koh Yao Yai/Noi), the waters are much more sheltered, and water quality for diving/snorkelling is good.

If you are flying into Phuket, why not stay here? We have wonderful beaches, and near Naiharn Beach reasonable accommodation, close to the beach. From Rawai you can take cheap excursions with a private longtail boat to the nearby islands which offer nice snorkeling. 

Near Patong you have Freedom beach, which is pristine and just South of Kamala beach you have some rocky places with nice snorkeling.

You just need to be aware, that during the Summer monsoon, the waves on the West coast are quite large and it is not safe to swim.

Ko Racha Yai has great snorkeling on the East side, which will be flat calm during the SW monsoon, but I would recommend to stay in some resort and go snorkeling either in the morning or late afternoon, as it is packed with tourist boats during the day, but fun to watch thousands of Chinese floating in the sea with their life jackets on. Quite spectacular to see!

• Like 1

Surprised Racha Yai hasn't been mentioned yet. Close to Phuket and much better snorkeling than Yao Yai or Noi.

Just see the mention in the previous post.

Edited by stevenl

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Surprised Racha Yai hasn't been mentioned yet. Close to Phuket and much better snorkeling than Yao Yai or Noi.

Agree that Racha Yai is a great spot, though in my opinion less though as an island to stay on, and you would struggle to be find any form of relative quiet, unless you want a selfie with a significant percentage of the population of Bejing/Shanghai in the background.    The OP was looking for suggestions for an island OFF Phuket, so whilst we local expats can extol the virtues of various beaches and areas of Phuket itself, that doesn't appear what he's looking for.

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

Agree that Racha Yai is a great spot, though in my opinion less though as an island to stay on, and you would struggle to be find any form of relative quiet, unless you want a selfie with a significant percentage of the population of Bejing/Shanghai in the background.    The OP was looking for suggestions for an island OFF Phuket, so whilst we local expats can extol the virtues of various beaches and areas of Phuket itself, that doesn't appear what he's looking for.

Staying in one of the hotels on racha will be really quiet.

And while rachas are Phuket province they're off Phuket island, so seem to meet the requirements of the op.

• Like 1

Water.
Koh Lanta is fabulous and not to be underestimated.
For a Lanta it looks like its long trip from Phuket. For that reason i would cross it out. I get sea sick on long ones especially on slow boats.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G975F przy użyciu Tapatalka

If you are flying into Phuket, why not stay here? We have wonderful beaches, and near Naiharn Beach reasonable accommodation, close to the beach. From Rawai you can take cheap excursions with a private longtail boat to the nearby islands which offer nice snorkeling. 
Near Patong you have Freedom beach, which is pristine and just South of Kamala beach you have some rocky places with nice snorkeling.
You just need to be aware, that during the Summer monsoon, the waves on the West coast are quite large and it is not safe to swim.
Ko Racha Yai has great snorkeling on the East side, which will be flat calm during the SW monsoon, but I would recommend to stay in some resort and go snorkeling either in the morning or late afternoon, as it is packed with tourist boats during the day, but fun to watch thousands of Chinese floating in the sea with their life jackets on. Quite spectacular to see!
Been Phuket many times. Looking for new destinations.

Thats new to me need to check it out.

So war Koh Yao islands were winning.

Checking Racha Yai

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

Guys can u recommend cheapisz hotel on Racha yai? Booking.com nothing

I think that there are only two hotels on the island, neither of which are cheap.   The various booking sites mainly show resorts that are actually on Phuket, close to where you can take boats from to Racha.   It's very much a day trip kind of place, popular with Chinese in particular.

• Sad 1

AFAIK hotels there are The Racha, Rayaburi, Raya resort, Baan Raya resort and Racha Father Resort.

Deals will most likely be available for Raya Resort, Father resort bookable only through Father Bungalows I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1